Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #586 of 3,250

I believe my friend just used some pliers to yank it out. Subsequently he lost the filters then sought an RMA from Sony. Sony told him the filter was not considered a part and they couldn't replace it for him. He ended up selling the filterless M9 to someone who didn't mind it unfiltered..

edit: i believe u can just stuff the filter back

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #587 of 3,250
I believe my friend just used some pliers to yank it out. Subsequently he lost the filters then sought an RMA from Sony. Sony told him the filter was not considered a part and they couldn't replace it for him. He ended up selling the filterless M9 to someone who didn't mind it unfiltered..

edit: i believe u can just stuff the filter back
I imagine you can but they are glued in from Sony. So you might would have to stuff it back in a little every once in a while if you did that. I toyed with the idea a bit and even pulled on them a bit with some tweezers many months ago. But they weren't coming out easily so I quit while I was ahead. Kinda glad I didn't keep going now.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #588 of 3,250
I see @crinacle has upgraded the IER-M9 to its rightful place as an S tier IEM on his famous ranking list :)

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #589 of 3,250
I see @crinacle has upgraded the IER-M9 to its rightful place as an S tier IEM on his famous ranking list :)
yeah...it deserves it. seeing the list and comparing the ones I had/heard. it should be on A+ or S-. Let's see how busy this thread will get after that. :)

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #590 of 3,250
yeah...it deserves it. seeing the list and comparing the ones I had/heard. it should be on A+ or S-. Let's see how busy this thread will get after that. :)

Yeah out of what I’ve heard from his list, I mostly agree with his rankings except I would swap the Solaris and Andromeda rankings. Also the Z5 is a bit underrated.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #591 of 3,250
Yeah out of what I’ve heard from his list, I mostly agree with his rankings except I would swap the Solaris and Andromeda rankings. Also the Z5 is a bit underrated.
that's right, I don't have access to all those IEMs, but like, JH and UE are a bit underrated from my liking, Noble Tux too. But A12t, LX, Z1r, M9... they are spot on. I would drop a bit the Campfire ones. :)

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #592 of 3,250
Very interesting! I wonder what brought about the move? Maybe he spent more time with a pair? Did he comment on the change?

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #593 of 3,250
Very interesting! I wonder what brought about the move? Maybe he spent more time with a pair? Did he comment on the change?
He’s updated his list and now judges all IEM’s in two categories - tonality and technicalities. He didn’t make any other comments but looks like he’s scored them S- for both. Maybe he’s spent more time with them and realised their greatness :p

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #594 of 3,250
He’s updated his list and now judges all IEM’s in two categories - tonality and technicalities. He didn’t make any other comments but looks like he’s scored them S- for both. Maybe he’s spent more time with them and realised their greatness :p
I actually asked the question what made him change the rating but he'd rarely engage in this kind of discussion. Best case would be an article about the M9 on his home page IMO.
Also Toranku seems to have changed his mind over time, getting more positive about the M9 and finally including it in his favorite list.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #595 of 3,250
I actually asked the question what made him change the rating but he'd rarely engage in this kind of discussion. Best case would be an article about the M9 on his home page IMO.
Also Toranku seems to have changed his mind over time, getting more positive about the M9 and finally including it in his favorite list.

Maybe, after months and years, they FINALLY found the right tip LMAO! It took me 10 months to find the right tip!

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #596 of 3,250
I am tired of speaking about tips in this thread...but...I popped on my JVC Spiraldot tips, the ML size and have been having great results with them the last week or so. They definitely have a more mid-focused sound to my ears. More emphasis on vocals and guitars. It's really quite pleasant. One thing about the JVCs, they provide a much more consistent fit and they also don't cause my ears to sweat as much or produce as much wet wax. Something the Sony tips are terrible with to me for some reason. With the Sony hybrid tips, I have to remove them from my ears at least once every two hours and dry them off and dry out my ear canals. Another thing with the JVCs, due to their stubby design and wide bore tip, I don't experience a change in sound when I look down. The Sony Hybrids become muffled if I look down all that much. Like if I were reading a book, for example. Not a problem with the JVCs.

Usually what happens when I switch out tips on my M9 is I always like the new tips and swear by them. Maybe I use them for a week or so but then, out of curiosity, I inevitably switch back to the Sony Hybrids I'm blown away by how much better the Sonys sound. Maybe that will happen this time but there's no doubt the JVCs provide a better experience as far as fit/comfort is concerned. The Sony tips are just weird in that the same size doesn't always work for me. I have two sizes I always have to rotate out to maintain a good fit.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #597 of 3,250
I am tired of speaking about tips in this thread...but...I popped on my JVC Spiraldot tips, the ML size and have been having great results with them the last week or so. They definitely have a more mid-focused sound to my ears. More emphasis on vocals and guitars. It's really quite pleasant. One thing about the JVCs, they provide a much more consistent fit and they also don't cause my ears to sweat as much or produce as much wet wax. Something the Sony tips are terrible with to me for some reason. With the Sony hybrid tips, I have to remove them from my ears at least once every two hours and dry them off and dry out my ear canals. Another thing with the JVCs, due to their stubby design and wide bore tip, I don't experience a change in sound when I look down. The Sony Hybrids become muffled if I look down all that much. Like if I were reading a book, for example. Not a problem with the JVCs.

Usually what happens when I switch out tips on my M9 is I always like the new tips and swear by them. Maybe I use them for a week or so but then, out of curiosity, I inevitably switch back to the Sony Hybrids I'm blown away by how much better the Sonys sound. Maybe that will happen this time but there's no doubt the JVCs provide a better experience as far as fit/comfort is concerned. The Sony tips are just weird in that the same size doesn't always work for me. I have two sizes I always have to rotate out to maintain a good fit.
If you like the Spiral Dots try to get the ++ version. They use a very soft And „gummy“ material that is extremely comfortable. I use them on my JVC FD02 and even found them to sound better than the regular Spiral Dots.
On the Sony EX1k I preferred the Sony tips though, since they had better bass with more authority and texture.
...still waiting for the post services to normalize to be able to receive my M9s from Australia....

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #598 of 3,250
If you like the Spiral Dots try to get the ++ version. They use a very soft And „gummy“ material that is extremely comfortable. I use them on my JVC FD02 and even found them to sound better than the regular Spiral Dots.
On the Sony EX1k I preferred the Sony tips though, since they had better bass with more authority and texture.
...still waiting for the post services to normalize to be able to receive my M9s from Australia....
I think I will! Where are they sold? I had to order my current ones from Japan and I paid insane money for them lol. I’m in the US

EDIT: ok I just ordered some mediums from MTMT. Cheaper than ebay and free shipping. Thanks for the recommendation

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #599 of 3,250

He did explain it on his blog: chiefly, it's the fact that he considers tone too when ranking an IEM. In the past, he ranked on technicalities only.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #600 of 3,250
He did explain it on his blog: chiefly, it's the fact that he considers tone too when ranking an IEM. In the past, he ranked on technicalities only.

He explained it in a general sense, but nothing specifically about M9. Would be cool to see a full M9 review from him though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back