Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Nov 21, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #316 of 3,155
Hello guys,

I asked the same in the QDC thread. I am hoping you could help me with a new IEM purchase decision.
I recently tried qdc Neptunes and really liked it for its mids and vocal intimacy.
Do you know similar sounding IEMs with a tad more bass and treble extension? Are the Sony M9s like this?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #317 of 3,155
Hello guys,

I asked the same in the QDC thread. I am hoping you could help me with a new IEM purchase decision.
I recently tried qdc Neptunes and really liked it for its mids and vocal intimacy.
Do you know similar sounding IEMs with a tad more bass and treble extension? Are the Sony M9s like this?

Thank you!
havent heard of neptune by someone here has both if im not mistaken.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #319 of 3,155
I've had these things for a year and have just now come to the realization that the size L hybrid tip is the best fit for me...as opposed to the LL hybrids I've been using for a year now.

The reason for this realization is the L's allow me to insert the M9 deeply, which I now feel is important, without causing a vacuum like seal, which is critical to the success of you and your M9/M7. I know I've gone back and forth on this quite a bit but I do believe these are meant to be deeply inserted, but you have to be able to do it without causing them to create suction.

A year ago I thought the only way they had a proper "seal" was if they sucked your ears inside out when you removed them. I quickly realized that wasn't correct but still continued to use the tip (LL) that created that effect when pushed all the way in, rather than going down a size like I should have done.

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #320 of 3,155
I’ve been using em with spinfits (the dunu 4001 bundles and the n5005 clear bundle) fit is amazing (though the 4001 can be a bit loose) I’m really happy with this iem, soundstage with this tips gets outstanding, Long nozzles make this even more impressive, 3D imaging goes out of hand this way for me. Just sharing

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #321 of 3,155
I’ve been using em with spinfits (the dunu 4001 bundles and the n5005 clear bundle) fit is amazing (though the 4001 can be a bit loose) I’m really happy with this iem, soundstage with this tips gets outstanding, Long nozzles make this even more impressive, 3D imaging goes out of hand this way for me. Just sharing
Spinfits plugged my ears up like no other! The worst offender for me when it came to suction effect! I still can't get over how much better of an experience I'm having since going down a size with Hybrid tips. The fit is consistent, I don't have to adjust them AT ALL, the SQ I get is also consistent, for the first time in a year! With the LL Hybrids, depending on how they were inserted they could sound absolutely amazing or they could sound congested and lifeless. With the L, no matter what I do or no matter how deep I shove them in my ear, they do NOT create a vacuum seal. I push them in, give them a slight turn, which seems to lock them in, and I'm good to listen for literally hours without EVER having to adjust them again! It's amazing and I am PUMPED haha! They have deep bass and a spacious airy presentation, combined with the consistent fit I now get it's a game changer for me and the M9. I no longer feel like it's a finicky IEM

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #322 of 3,155
Spinfits plugged my ears up like no other! The worst offender for me when it came to suction effect! I still can't get over how much better of an experience I'm having since going down a size with Hybrid tips. The fit is consistent, I don't have to adjust them AT ALL, the SQ I get is also consistent, for the first time in a year! With the LL Hybrids, depending on how they were inserted they could sound absolutely amazing or they could sound congested and lifeless. With the L, no matter what I do or no matter how deep I shove them in my ear, they do NOT create a vacuum seal. I push them in, give them a slight turn, which seems to lock them in, and I'm good to listen for literally hours without EVER having to adjust them again! It's amazing and I am PUMPED haha! They have deep bass and a spacious airy presentation, combined with the consistent fit I now get it's a game changer for me and the M9. I no longer feel like it's a finicky IEM

Have you pin a hole on them to prevent vacuum effect?

Edit. Just have tried the L hybrid pair and, as you said, the vacuum effect has disappeared. The seem enough big to make a proper seal, and could be inserted deeply than LL, so it's more comfortable. Thank you for your appreciation @CoryGillmore !

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #323 of 3,155
Have you pin a hole on them to prevent vacuum effect?

Edit. Just have tried the L hybrid pair and, as you said, the vacuum effect has disappeared. The seem enough big to make a proper seal, and could be inserted deeply than LL, so it's more comfortable. Thank you for your appreciation @CoryGillmore !
Glad to hear it! The key with this IEM is to get them inserted deeply while NOT forming a suction like seal! It only took me a year to figure this out LMAO. If you use a tip that's too big, it's difficult to insert them deeply without creating suction. But with a smaller tip, you can achieve both: deep insertion, no suction like seal. This revelation makes me want to try out the TC tips, as I haven't really even heard them, since I was judging their fit wrong the whole time.

Dec 1, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #325 of 3,155
Just tried the L & M sized tips, and they didn't fix the vacuum effect unfortunately. The M size also thinned out the bass response, like it wasn't sealed properly. Weird because it definitely was sealed and vacuuming? Oh well, back to the LL's with pinholes for me :)

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #326 of 3,155
The only thing that i wish M9 has optional vent. Like if there is a slot to do that.

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #327 of 3,155
I've been doing more tests with the LL and L sizes of the hybrid and, definitely, the L adapts much better to my ears. Not only are more comfortable, but the sound is, as @CoryGillmore said, much more stable. However, like LL, they cannot be introduced deeply or vacuum effect is created.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #328 of 3,155
Hello guys,

Thank you!

I have both the Neptune and M9. They have very similar tuning. If you like one you'll like the other.

The Neptune is pretty similar to the M9, or like the Andromeda with more bass and less treble. The difference is mostly in the clarity. The Neptune has a slight echoey muffledness to it, similar to what you get with closed back headphones. It's also not as good at playing both bass and treble at the same time.

So, the bass extension is about the same, but the M9 sounds clearer, so I guess the M9 is extended more in the treble. Both have excellent bass extension with a deep insertion and good seal. The IER-Z1R has slightly more bass extension but has a slight recess in the upper bass to lower mids that makes me prefer the M9.

The M9 is like an expensive upgraded version of the Neptune.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #329 of 3,155
I have both the Neptune and M9. They have very similar tuning. If you like one you'll like the other.

The Neptune is pretty similar to the M9, or like the Andromeda with more bass and less treble. The difference is mostly in the clarity. The Neptune has a slight echoey muffledness to it, similar to what you get with closed back headphones. It's also not as good at playing both bass and treble at the same time.

So, the bass extension is about the same, but the M9 sounds clearer, so I guess the M9 is extended more in the treble. Both have excellent bass extension with a deep insertion and good seal. The IER-Z1R has slightly more bass extension but has a slight recess in the upper bass to lower mids that makes me prefer the M9.

The M9 is like an expensive upgraded version of the Neptune.

Thank you very much for a detailed comparison! I will try to audition them.
@twiceboss, Thank you as well.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #330 of 3,155
im using hybrid MS currently. I mean if im not mistaken. The one with soft yellow color at the bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back