Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Nov 3, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #256 of 3,173
Nah don't feel concerned about the stock cables. This IEM is tough man. Though most people don't recommend connecting and disconnecting the MMCX connectors a lot. But at the same time, before I knew any better, I was disconnecting and connecting my MMCX connectors 2-3 times a day, 5 days a week for about 3 months in order to take them to and from work. I eventually quit this as someone said the MMCX connectors can be a weak point on this IEM and many other IEMs, but I never had issues doing it. Maybe I got lucky.

I looked it up a while ago (quote below). Not to say the MMCX connectors wouldn't live past their rating. I don't know squat about IEM design, but it seems like if longevity is a concern leaving the cable attached whenever possible would be preferable (and for multi-source users, pigtail style adapters at the stereo plug instead of cable swapping).

(Then again I have A-T over-ears with an even less reassuring A2DC connector, yet won't fit in the included carrying case with the cable attached... "detach away!" they seem to say)

Molex rate their MMCX connectors for 500 cycles, but there's probably variabilty in the brand and QC of the connectors used in earphones... I almost never change cables and have still had issues at times (though fortunately for me failure always in the cable, only minor oxidation issues in earpieces) http://www.literature.molex.com/SQLImages/kelmscott/Molex/PDF_Images/987650-3243.PDF

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #257 of 3,173
Exactly what I feel with my EX1k and M9. Just a note that, in my experience, M9 with bigger bore eartips has a massive change for the soundstage. Try it! Im using my M9 with symbio peeled currently!

The only wider bore tips I own and have tried are the spiral dots. I noticed a slight difference in mids but I found that they slightly reduced bass, so I went back to the trusty LL hybrid silicones :)

To be honest I’m perfectly happy with the soundstage of the M9’s with the hybrid silicones. Now that I’ve found the right fit without getting the vacuum effect, the M9 is almost perfection.

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #258 of 3,173
The only wider bore tips I own and have tried are the spiral dots. I noticed a slight difference in mids but I found that they slightly reduced bass, so I went back to the trusty LL hybrid silicones :)

To be honest I’m perfectly happy with the soundstage of the M9’s with the hybrid silicones. Now that I’ve found the right fit without getting the vacuum effect, the M9 is almost perfection.
Yes, up to preference! But i dont like spiral dot with M9 either, too dry and reduce bass quite a lot!

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #259 of 3,173
For me Spinfit CP500 tips are a must-try for M9 owners. They help eliminate some of the M9's weaknesses.

- The sound is more open and livelier which reduces the chance of becoming bored in long listening sessions.
- Stage width might be even wider despite deep insertion. At least I didn't feel it was narrower.
- Treble is more aggresive which then contributes to greater synergy?? dynamics?? I am not sure but it sounded more powerful.
- My subjective feeling told me that transient speed is better too while overall sound signature remains the same.

Please note that the CP500 has a inner diameter of 5.5 mm which is too large for M9's bore diameter. Tips can fall off easily.

Edit: I can now confirm that sound stage is noticeably wider (plus taller) with CP500. However, on certain songs it may sound worse than stock tips due to lack of emotions and of course YMMV.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #260 of 3,173
For me Spinfit CP500 tips are a must-try for M9 owners. They help eliminate some of the M9's weaknesses.

- The sound is more open and livelier which reduces the chance of becoming bored in long listening sessions.
- Stage width might be even wider despite deep insertion. At least I didn't feel it was narrower.
- Treble is more aggresive which then contributes to greater synergy?? dynamics?? I am not sure but it sounded more powerful.
- My subjective feeling told me that transient speed is better too while overall sound signature remains the same.

Please note that the CP500 has a inner diameter of 5.5 mm which is too large for M9's bore diameter. Tips can fall off easily.
Cp145

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #262 of 3,173
Forget everything, im enjoying my M9 with modded spiral dot now :ksc75smile:
Spiral dot with foam inside, i pullout from symbio w :L3000:

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #263 of 3,173
The more i tip rolling, the more i know how to deal with this iem, gosh, no wonder i put this set as my no.1

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #264 of 3,173
IMG_20191107_210959.jpg
Backup tips...

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #265 of 3,173

Attachments

• 20191107_143849.jpg
    20191107_143849.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #266 of 3,173
My fav tips: modded spiral dots
10379140.jpg
Did you try putting foam in the Sony Hybrids too? I’ve got some old Comply tips I could cut up to put in my Spiral Dots or Sony Hybrids

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #267 of 3,173
Did you try putting foam in the Sony Hybrids too? I’ve got some old Comply tips I could cut up to put in my Spiral Dots or Sony Hybrids
sounds like a good idea. I'll try and give an impression!

There are reasons why i do this mod;
1. I need a bigger bore to open the sound - but bigger bore tends to make the highs peaky - thus, spiral dot is a perfect match for this since the dots tame the highs
2. However, spiral dots sometimes have the vacuum effect due to it's material - thus, putting foam will make the tips stiffer and hence it is almost impossible to create vacuum effect with these two combined
3. Bass is still excellent with these tips; as long as u got a good seal of these modded tip and again i get no vacuum feel with this modded tips.
4. i tweak my ipod touch eq to mimic the n6ii single ended signature that i have fallen for due to review unit (n6ii t01 single ended signature is fuller and has that musical highs and the mids are so lush, I tried so hard to mimic the M9 sound i get from n6ii to my ipod touch)

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #268 of 3,173
Forget everything, im enjoying my M9 with modded spiral dot now :ksc75smile:
Spiral dot with foam inside, i pullout from symbio w :L3000:

Try Sedna earfit instead, the dots kill high part and made imaging not as sharp as default tips. Sedna short for M7/M9

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #269 of 3,173
Try Sedna earfit instead, the dots kill high part and made imaging not as sharp as default tips. Sedna short for M7/M9
He’s using a modded Spiral Dot with Symbio foam though.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #270 of 3,173
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back