SONY headphones? Hi I'm new to high end audio and headphones
Sep 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just sent an email to the Japanese SONY headphones information adress, asking them when the next flagship model will be released...considering the SA5k has been phased out.

crossing my fingers for a reply, at least I didn't get a postmaster...and they are known to be very helpful and speak fluent english
smily_headphones1.gif

So are these Amazon.com: Sony MDR-SA5000 DJ Stereo Headphones: Electronics currently the Best Headphones in Production that Sony Sells?

and because my dad knows someone I can get most of my electronics at Cost so I could potentially get a really good pair of Sony Headphones or Shures cheaply. Also I was thinking of Buying a PMP besides the ipod and I was thinking about the Sony Walkman X series player I have heard great things about it's sound quality
Amazon.com: Sony Walkman X Series 16 GB Video MP3 Player w/ OLED Display: Electronics

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #48 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by gold5225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I was thinking of Buying a PMP besides the ipod and I was thinking about the Sony Walkman X series player I have heard great things about it's sound quality

The Walkman isn't going to do the SA5Ks justice, even with a portable amp they'll be lacking, if you're going with the SAs get yourself a nice source and a desktop amp. Also they are open headphones so you wouldn't want to wear them outside.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Walkman isn't going to do the SA5Ks justice, even with a portable amp they'll be lacking, if you're going with the SAs get yourself a nice source and a desktop amp. Also they are open headphones so you wouldn't want to wear them outside.

Oh ok umm could you recommend to me some nice desktops amps in the affordable range lol.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #51 of 55
Lower-end desktop amps are in the $150-250 range. If you can get a good deal on Shures, pick up the SRH840 - it'll be cheaper than an SA5K, will isolate a lot more, and won't need an amp.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never had a piece of Sony equipment die on me, and that includes a mini-disc player from the early 90s.

Well, this hasn't much to do with headphones anyway.

And consider yourself lucky, I had a top level Sony camcorder and a Sony camera which died on me, and it was not funny at all because they both died days after the two years warranty expired. And I'm very careful with my equipment.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest that you audition the MDR-F1, if you get a chance. It is, without doubt, the most comfortable set of phones I have ever owned. The soundstage is excellent. They do, however, take about 300 hours to fully develop the lowest part of the frequency spectrum.

IMO, they are one of the best-kept secrets in the world of headphones. I have kept my F1s longer than any of my other phones, and keep coming back to them whenever I want a "live" performance.

They never fail to impress listeners at our area mini-meets.

The design of this phone is outstanding,but let down by its driver.
I recently sold a pair because compared to the sound of the SA5000 they are lacking,but comfort wise fantastic.
The F1's need the SA5000 driver's in them,then they might sound better.
In some ways I wanted to keep them but my SONY collection was getting to big so something had to go.

Do not get me wrong,they are still a Fantastic phone,the build quality makes others look like backyarders.
tongue_smile.gif
God I love that tongue.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #55 of 55
SA5000 was a downgrade in both construction and sound, compared to the CD3000. A few may disagree, but I doubt that many that actually have used CD3000 extensively could consider the SA5000 in any way an improvement. I still do not know why they deleted CD3000. It was high in popularity when they suddenly announced discontinuation of production. Of course, they did the same thing to the R10 and replaced it with an inferior model as well. Sony is a confusing company.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back