SONY headphones? Hi I'm new to high end audio and headphones
Sep 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #16 of 55
I listened to an MDR-XB500 at BB. I was unimpressed with even the bass quantity, let alone the bass quality, from those headphones. But the problems might be in the BB display's audio output device and not necessarily the headphones: I think their device has been tweaked to make the crappy high-priced headphones sound OK while making the otherwise great-sounding headphones sound thin and shrill.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to an MDR-XB500 at BB. I was unimpressed with even the bass quantity, let alone the bass quality, from those headphones. But the problems might be in the BB display's audio output device and not necessarily the headphones: I think their device has been tweaked to make the crappy high-priced headphones sound OK while making the otherwise great-sounding headphones sound thin and shrill.

You could be right; I listened to the XB range in the Sony store and they were connected to a Sony walkman with bass-boost on 2, plugging them into my Zune revealed a completely different headphone... honestly I think these tools that work at BB/Sony etc don't have a clue, there idea of bass is a low frequency noise that runs over the entire range of sound, as opposed to a hard hitting beat that strikes only when needed.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to an MDR-XB500 at BB. I was unimpressed with even the bass quantity, let alone the bass quality, from those headphones.

X2
tongue.gif

I tried it at a Sony store with my A726 strapped to a Mini3 and found the bass to be rather untextured and overbearing. Imo.

I listened to Private Psychadelic Reel by the Chemical Brothers, A Little Piece Of Heaven by A7X, and Like A Dog Chasing Cars just because that's just an awesome test song.

The mids were a bit meh and I'm a horrible judge for highs, so I'm not even going to bother.

I could be just accustom to low bass because of my K271, but it can't be THAT bad.

Again, imo.

The V6 wasn't all that bad, better than the XB500, but not $50 better going by retail price.

I did like the XB700 a good bit more than the XB500 and even the V6. Totally worth the extra $20 for more refinement.

There's also the PFR V1 for decent Sony headphones.

Hold on, Graphicism, where have you seen CD3000s (stock, not woodied) for over $1000? There's currently a pair for $500 and hell even lobsterking is selling a pair for less than $600.
biggrin.gif

To the OP, haha pretty much everything in my house with the exception of the TV and AV stuff is Sony. It just lasts, or we got lucky.

Oh, welcome to the teenager club! I'm 14 myself, a bit too into the hobby, but it's better than most other things people I know are doing...

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by gold5225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 16 and I recently bought a pair of Sony MDR-XB500 headphones for $79.99 and I really like how good the Bass is and great they sound and how comfortable they are but afterwards I realized the world of High end audio headphones.

I was wondering does Sony have a really good high end headphone and are the MDR-500s and 700s good headphones?

I also recently discovered the DJ and stereo head phones they sell, What kind of Sony head phones would you recommend?

I recommend the MDR-V6. It didn't blow me away but it's an OK choice for under $100. But ..... why not try out other headphone brands. If you are working with a budget of around 100 bucks you can get something that will be way better than what Sony offers. Try an Alessandro MS-1, Audio-Technica AD-700 Air, or Grado SR-60i (look on Amazon).

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #22 of 55
Good to see some Sony love around here
biggrin.gif
SA5K is a fantastic phone, i would love to try the CD3K one day!

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The V6 wasn't all that bad, better than the XB500, but not $50 better going by retail price.

You might have listened to the V600 rather than the V6. Very different in character. I had a V600 - twice. But I was never impressed at all with that model, even on good equipment: The midrange, especially the lower midrange, dominates the sound from the V600 and what treble the V600 reproduces is harsh and spitty. The V6 (and 7506) is a little too bright for my tastes, and it is slightly lacking in upper bass output (but there is plenty of mid-bass response). This latter (V6/7506) kind of output makes it better suited for studio use than home or portable use.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #25 of 55
My favorite headphones are a pair of Sonys (CD3K) but I would agree with everyone else that it doesn't make sense to limit yourself to Sonys, especially in this market where there are a lot of very differentiated specialty players. A Sony TV may be marginally different from a Pioneer or a Toshiba or whatever, so it doesn't really matter if you're a Sony fanboy there, but a Sony headphone is going to be very meaningfully different from Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Grado, Ultrasone, Denon, etc. etc.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #26 of 55
They do indeed.
Or more correctly 'did', as the two highest regarded Sony headphones are out of production.

MDR-R10 and Qualia 010.
MDR-R10.jpg

qualia010.jpg

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about you wallet!
smile.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #27 of 55
Sony makes some good stuff. They have more top tier dynamics than Sennheiser, AKG, or Beyerdynamic, for instance. They actually have arguably the best dynamic headphone ever... so why hate on Sony of all companies?

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so why hate on Sony of all companies?

Simple. That company simply offers too many headphones which sound especially unimpressive for their asking prices.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #29 of 55
Sony has indeed made some spectacular headphones, what with the R10 and Qualia and the less glitzy CD3K that I love, but all of these notable models have since been discontinued and are very expensive and difficult to acquire. In terms of their current lineup, I don't think they are anything special among the various headphone manufacturers - they have a competitive high-end offering (the SA5000) and a few lower-end offerings, but certainly nothing that makes them stand out from the crowd. The point isn't to hate on Sony, just to point out that limiting oneself to Sony in the headphone world based on a love of their other consumer electronics doesn't really make sense.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #30 of 55
Good points, I guess. But if I only limited myself to R10 or 010, I don't think I'd feel too constrained. Anything mid-tier or lower, though, yeah.

At the same time, though, there's a decent amount of Grado hate in this thread, and I'd say that company, along with Stax, make some of the best stuff top to bottom.

Where's the love, guys?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back