SONY headphones? Hi I'm new to high end audio and headphones
Sep 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #31 of 55
I would suggest that you audition the MDR-F1, if you get a chance. It is, without doubt, the most comfortable set of phones I have ever owned. The soundstage is excellent. They do, however, take about 300 hours to fully develop the lowest part of the frequency spectrum.

IMO, they are one of the best-kept secrets in the world of headphones. I have kept my F1s longer than any of my other phones, and keep coming back to them whenever I want a "live" performance.

They never fail to impress listeners at our area mini-meets.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #32 of 55
I tried the XB-300 and it has very good design, comfort, and bass. It has a fun fullness I'm sure young people would enjoy, audiophiles less so. I think you're likely to be disappointed by other headphones if you mainly like bass.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest that you audition the MDR-F1, if you get a chance. It is, without doubt, the most comfortable set of phones I have ever owned. The soundstage is excellent.

yeah, a gamer's dream apparently? but also leaky as hell apparently.

the good thing about these few good guys from SONY is that the soundstage is just out of this world
smily_headphones1.gif

playing Q3 is just plain boring w/ a DT770/600Ω(and no dolby headphones crapola please), but w/ a cd1k/cd3k it's a whole different story(you are tied for the lead btw
shadowknight.gif
)
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm joining soon
biggrin.gif

alanou.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, a gamer's dream apparently? but also leaky as hell apparently.

the good thing about these few good guys from SONY is that the soundstage is just out of this world
smily_headphones1.gif

The soundstage on the XB500 is very good also, granted perhaps not that of the F1 but the XB series are semi-open cans... open headphones with bass are hard to beat.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

ok good to know! I found the XB700 pads way too bulky, and Tiemen said that it was pretty hollow(no wonder, the pads are so damn thick)...

I won't go into too much detail now as I plan to do a full review on the 500s after burn-in and recable but just briefly I will say I tried all 3 of the XB series; 300, 500, 700 and found the 500 to be the sweet spot - the goldilox zone. Not only are they the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried but the sound is so full and enjoyable, I'm pretty excited to see what a brighter cable can do.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #37 of 55
and they're cheap too! too bad they're dual ended, and the cable is only 4ft
rolleyes.gif

I'm a SONY fanboy anyway, beyer just doesn't do it for me..and the AKG K701 haters give me a bad feeling
biggrin.gif

Ultrasone, been there done that
rolleyes.gif

Grado, meant for rock? and I can't stand foam touching my ears...plus I love my cans super bulky(the larger the cups, the larger the soundstage? for closed cups at least..)

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might have listened to the V600 rather than the V6. Very different in character. I had a V600 - twice. But I was never impressed at all with that model, even on good equipment: The midrange, especially the lower midrange, dominates the sound from the V600 and what treble the V600 reproduces is harsh and spitty. The V6 (and 7506) is a little too bright for my tastes, and it is slightly lacking in upper bass output (but there is plenty of mid-bass response). This latter (V6/7506) kind of output makes it better suited for studio use than home or portable use.

No, I'm positive it was the V6. I regretted leaving my DAP at home last time I went to a Sony store. It was selling for 109, too much imo, and ime for the great deal's I've gotten, like a K271 with velour pads for $60 shipped. At the $70 the V6 usually sells for online, it's a good enough deal for the unlucky.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

BTW, this one costs 255 EUR shipped on pricejapan(and cheaper on amazon.co.uk):
Sony PFR-V1 - Google Images

sony-v1-hands-on-ryan.jpg

The headphone solo or with the dummy?

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #41 of 55
I like his
rapscallion.gif
face, it's said to be a poor man's K1k or something.

too bad they're so damn opened...w/ some foam mod, they would kick *ss! but my DLP projector is already loud enough as it is
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

I like his
rapscallion.gif
face, it's said to be a poor man's K1k or something.

Me too. Looks funny puzzled: "Why the hell is the soundstage behind my back?"

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #43 of 55
there's also the CD900ST...it's compared to the cd3k here: http://notwani2.blog.so-net.ne.jp/search/?keyword=sony

but whatever babelfish or google turn the end conclusion to gibberish...if anyone understands Japanese?!

Quote:

MDR-CD3000 and MDR-CD900ST sound do you prefer?

"Takao says it, but not exactly or approximately three times the price! MDR-CD3000 and I have decided to!"

"What year are you say! By and for amateur and professional! MDR-CD900ST and better!"

and this guy also says that they are pretty close: http://translate.google.com/translat...N%26start%3D40

Quote:

MDR-CD900ST Ii feel better and honest and not exaggerate the sense of sound. I feel close to the MDR-CD3000.

I think I want a second pair of cans, maybe I'll get a XB500 and recable it single ended w/ a 10ft quad lizt-braid
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #44 of 55
I think the XB500 is a good can for $50. It provides a moderate amount of bass and it's extremely comfortable. Of course, if you're a audiophile, I'm sure you'll object but it's you're 16 and like to blast it, the XB500/700 are great cans.

Once you're willing to spend more (or if your wallet allows for that matter..), there's plenty of great cans on this forum that are recommended all the time, not only Sony.

Welcome to Head-Fi.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm thinking about getting a pair of XB500 myself.. Hahah.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #45 of 55
I've just sent an email to the Japanese SONY headphones information adress, asking them when the next flagship model will be released...considering the SA5k has been phased out.

crossing my fingers for a reply, at least I didn't get a postmaster...and they are known to be very helpful and speak fluent english
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back