Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jun 29, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #2,506 of 2,773
Quote:
just out of curiosity, on which post is the dynamat mod?

Thanks

C

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/2040#post_9269042

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2,510 of 2,773
Jul 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,511 of 2,773
Has anyone compared these to the current Mad Dogs? I am looking for something more portable than them, while trying to keep a similar sound signature.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #2,512 of 2,773
Quote:
Has anyone compared these to the current Mad Dogs? I am looking for something more portable than them, while trying to keep a similar sound signature.

These are way more coloured than the MDs. Mids are very lush and thick, and there's some midbass emphasis. Quite laid back at both ends (sub bass and treble)

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,513 of 2,773
Soooo, I got the Sony MDR-1RBT yesterday in my mailbox and what impressed me the most was that boost on the bass. I wasn't expecting it to be that high. I'm still getting used to them, coming from the V-Moda M-100. At the beginning I was kind of disappointed to be honest. Today I'm getting more used to them and I realize that eq'ing does them sound really really great. Didn't find a bit difference between wired and wireless though. Any other impressions from people owning several cans? Did anybody mod them?

I was wondering if somebody can compare them with their siblings the MDR-R1. 

EDIT: On the other hand, I have to say that it's awesome not to have cords around and that they are extremely comfortable... :D I'm actually surprised how easy is to change the device they are connected to. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2,514 of 2,773
Got these for about a week, burned them in extensively for about 100+ hrs of music and occasionally pink noise, and find them great. The thing is I find them to be unbalanced. Left channel seem to have weaker bass response ( for example in Dosed by Red Hot Chili Peppers, the bass track after the intro is mainly on the R channel ). If I lift the R earcup from my ear, I hear bass from the L one, but when I place R on my head, I hear its bass slightly louder. 

I remember to have heard of somebody which had git an unbalanced MDR 1R in the past. Is it me or it may happen to receive a faulty one like this? Can I check this or, if needed, send them back to Sony?

I think the left channel lacks in width as well. I feel that if the sounstage could be represented like this (pardon me, I can't explain properly)

L - - - - - C - - - - - R

And the instruments are placed between L and R. My headphones sound like

L - - - C - - - - - R

As if there was less 'space' on the left.

Dunno if I explained clearly, I hope I did

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2,516 of 2,773
Quote:
Soooo, I got the Sony MDR-1RBT yesterday in my mailbox and what impressed me the most was that boost on the bass. I wasn't expecting it to be that high. I'm still getting used to them, coming from the V-Moda M-100. At the beginning I was kind of disappointed to be honest. Today I'm getting more used to them and I realize that eq'ing does them sound really really great. Didn't find a bit difference between wired and wireless though. Any other impressions from people owning several cans? Did anybody mod them?

I was wondering if somebody can compare them with their siblings the MDR-R1. 

EDIT: On the other hand, I have to say that it's awesome not to have cords around and that they are extremely comfortable... :D I'm actually surprised how easy is to change the device they are connected to. 

Tyll has a review of all the Mdr 1rs at innerfidelity if you haven't already seen that.

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,518 of 2,773
Quote:
I think the left channel lacks in width as well. I feel that if the sounstage could be represented like this (pardon me, I can't explain properly)

L - - - - - C - - - - - R

And the instruments are placed between L and R. My headphones sound like

L - - - C - - - - - R

As if there was less 'space' on the left.

Dunno if I explained clearly, I hope I did

Yeap, you explained it pretty well, I would say is defective. That sounds like a problem in the driver wires welding, as if one of them had a higher impedance than the other. Apparently it's pretty common in these headphones for what I've read and the look that the wires have.

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #2,519 of 2,773
Yeap, you explained it pretty well, I would say is defective. That sounds like a problem in the driver wires welding, as if one of them had a higher impedance than the other. Apparently it's pretty common in these headphones for what I've read and the look that the wires have.

Thanks for replying.
Yes, I think it is defective as well. To double check, can you listen to #thatPOWER by will.i.am and tell me if the hiss at 0.08 that increases in volume and leads to the breakdown at 0.15 comes equally from both channels? I hear it (especially at the beginning) mainly on R one.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,520 of 2,773
Ok. So I've been listening to it and I think it's pretty balanced. In fact I listen better for one ear than the other. I think it's the left one, but definitely the right one is not sounding higher than the left one, nor noticeably lower either. :frowning2:

Sorry for that. I hope you can exchange them:xf_eek: fast and with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back