Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jun 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,476 of 2,773
That totally sucks dude. Try contacting Sony directly. The v-moda cables would have a better chance of surviving being pinched in a car door though, and they would fit perfectly as well. The downside is that they don't match the 1R aesthetically.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,479 of 2,773
My understanding is there are versions of the MDR-1R that are being sold with only the straight cable and not the iDevice cable. He may have one of those.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2,481 of 2,773
I don't have the box in front of me, but I believe there is a small sticker on it that says mine are a special or limited edition that come with the iDevice cable. It just makes me believe there are versions without it then. I'll check on this when I get home tonight and take a pic of it if true. Mine were imported from Japan.

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #2,483 of 2,773
Yup. Silver. I don't think it's specific to color as much as it is to region. Honestly, I don't know. They are just assumptions I'm making. I figure if the box says these are special because of two cables, I'm assuming there are single cable boxes out there too.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,484 of 2,773
Guys,

Sorry to have kept you guessing! I do have two cables, the injured one is the iphone cable. I actually use the iphone cable more than the audio-only as I use them at work so need to take calls etc. (Btw I'm using my v-moda cable right now as suggested.) Thanks again guys :)

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2,485 of 2,773
Ok just did the dynamat mod and so far I am liking the change. It might be a bit to aggressive but if it starts to bother me I will try using the foam from one of my Shure headphone and see if that tames it down a bit.

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #2,486 of 2,773
Quote:
Ok just did the dynamat mod and so far I am liking the change. It might be a bit to aggressive but if it starts to bother me I will try using the foam from one of my Shure headphone and see if that tames it down a bit.

Ey dweaver, have you read my impressions on the dynamat mod? It was indeed weird and fatiguing for me at first but I found the sweet spot in terms of volume level. Once you discover that, it's an awesome experience. Really clear and full sounding I must say. I was at a point where I was already thinking of taking the dynamat off, but I'm glad I didn't.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,488 of 2,773
Well, just picked up a pair from The Sony Store for a great price. My Momentums are a bit too bulky with their carrying case to bring onto a plane, as these lay flat (and are more comfortable for long flights), I thought why not. I still slightly prefer my Momentums to these, but for the $, the MDR-1Rs are an outstanding choice (and better for taking on a plane too).

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,489 of 2,773
I'm jealous........of the plane trips. I need a vacation badly!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back