Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jun 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,446 of 2,773
I didn't change my mod because apparently it is volume dependant. At lower volume (upto 60% on my ipod touch 5th gen), it is perfect! Higher than that, SOME heavily distorted songs are fatiguing. I'm quite happy with it so far.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #2,448 of 2,773
Quote:
What about with a powerful amp? Let the amp do more of the work instead of the headphones.

I use the FiiO E11 and same thing. it's not electronic... it's more physics this time. In my review of the mod, I wrote about how it made the MDR1r very mid-centric. Don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome: clear, more detailed, and fuller timbre. I guess "in my experience", that much detail causes fatigue for me at high volume. I use to listen at 70-75% with my MDR1r, but now I keep it at 60%

Now in regards to this weird sounding "distorted guitars" in metal, alternative, and/or hard rock... it doesn't happen all the time. It's only prevalent is SOME of my songs. I reckon it does that whenever the song is of poor quality (mixing or mastering). All my songs are 320kbps mp3s.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #2,450 of 2,773
From what I have read on this thread I am getting the impression that these headphones are very mid centred and not really ideal for electronic music? Sounds like they would be more suited to rock / metal music and maybe acoustic? Funny because on the Sony marketing it says they are made for modern bass heavy genres.... But it seems that these are not actually very good headphones for these genres? I tried them in the shop and thought they sound pretty good but cannot test them with my own music and different genres etc.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #2,452 of 2,773
Quote:
From what I have read on this thread I am getting the impression that these headphones are very mid centred and not really ideal for electronic music? Sounds like they would be more suited to rock / metal music and maybe acoustic? Funny because on the Sony marketing it says they are made for modern bass heavy genres.... But it seems that these are not actually very good headphones for these genres? I tried them in the shop and thought they sound pretty good but cannot test them with my own music and different genres etc.

They're actually quite good with EDM. Not the best I've heard, but certainly above average. Especially with the dynamat mod... EDM sounds even better!

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #2,454 of 2,773
Quote:
How are they for rap/hiphop music? I can get them for $251, are they worth that?

They are good. But I won't pay over $200 for them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back