Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Sep 1, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,537 of 2,773
Hey all I have a similar problem to the ones mentioned in the last posts. Out of the box, my MDR-1R's sound seemed panned very slightly to the right. The vocals were not exactly in the middle. At first, I thought it was probably due to the soundstage but after A-B'ing them with my XBA-3's and SE215's, I can't help but think that there is a noticeable small stereo channel imbalance towards the right. Could anyone kindly confirm my doubts? Thinking about bringing them back to the shop tonight. FWIR, these have a 1 year warranty on them.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2,538 of 2,773
Sounds like a channel imbalance, that certainly isn't normal, you'd better take them back.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,539 of 2,773
Quote:
Sounds like a channel imbalance, that certainly isn't normal, you'd better take them back.

I just got a new pair from the shop and guess what. They don't sound that much different from the first pair :S I'm now thinking its probably the positioning of the ear cups, like probably since my ears are not shaped the same way, the sound is entering differently. Or do you think it could be a bad batch?

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2,541 of 2,773
Hmm, but this is my second pair :S And the imbalance is very small, its a small panning to the right, when I made the guy at the store listen to it, he couldn't find any problem with it. I think I will make a friend listen to them and see what they think, probably make them A-B them with another headphones that I find has better channel balance.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,543 of 2,773
If its really annoying and you dont want to return them you can adjust the panning in most desktop and Android music players. And I know in iOS you can adjust it in the Settings app.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,544 of 2,773
Quote:
You tried using the same driver side on the same ear? 

OMG THANK YOU. How could I not think about that? I tried reversing the earcups (L on my right ear, R on my left ear), and the panning is still slightly to the right. I'm most certain now its my ears and the positioning of the earcups. Thank you so much, you just made me stop worrying and now I can focus on the beauty of the SQ :D

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #2,545 of 2,773
Quote:
OMG THANK YOU. How could I not think about that? I tried reversing the earcups (L on my right ear, R on my left ear), and the panning is still slightly to the right. I'm most certain now its my ears and the positioning of the earcups. Thank you so much, you just made me stop worrying and now I can focus on the beauty of the SQ :D

Are you sure that's a good thing to be happy about xD? Well good to see that you're enjoying the Sony MDR 1r's. I feel like not enough attention is given to these.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,548 of 2,773
Going to try to test it out, I hope I catch one.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,550 of 2,773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back