Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,117 of 2,773
Quote:
yes, this is a well documented audiophile phenomena. as night falls, the ambient temperature slowly drops. the dropping temperature means that there is a decrease in thermal energy that causes the air molecules to vibrating at a much lower frequency, which in turn allows the sound waves to move through the air with less interference. This results in a much cleaner sound with more detailed treble and a wider sound stage as there is less distortion. The bass also becomes tighter and less muddy. That is why many people notice that things sound muffled in the sauna where the air is very hot. This is also another explanation why open headphones generally sound better than closed headphones that get very hot and stuffy under the earpads.

Interesting, when I listen to songs in low light at night I have noticed the music being more enjoyable, although contrastingly, when the sun shines brightly and it's warm I have a heightened sense of music enjoyment too

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2,118 of 2,773
Quote:
Interesting, when I listen to songs in low light at night I have noticed the music being more enjoyable, although contrastingly, when the sun shines brightly and it's warm I have a heightened sense of music enjoyment too

When skin cells are exposed to ultraviolet light (particularly UVB), the choleseterol precursor, 7-dehydrocholesterol, is converted into vitamin D3. Vitamin D is the precusor to calcidiol, which is an important regulator of calcium. When there is a deficiency of vitamin D in your body, this results in insufficient amounts of calcium in the fluid of the inner ear. In this state, the small bones of the inner ear becomes more spongy (as calcium will be transferred from the bone into the fluid to try to achieve homeostasis). In this spongy state, the bones will not conduct vibrations as accurately and this will interfere with sound transmission. The decreased density of the bone will cause the sound waves to travel slower and the most obvious thing you would notice would be a more bloated, looser bass and less detail/clarity. There are multiple scientific studies that have correlated a deficiency of vitamin D (due to a mutated Vitamin D receptor) with hearing loss as well as demonstrated that vitamin D can repair hearing loss in mice. 

This is why you experience a heightened sense of musical enjoyment when exposed to direct sunlight. However, if you were in the sunlight during the day wearing sunscreen (which blocks UV radiation), you will notice that you will not achieve the same heightened sense of musical enjoyment as the music will not sound as accurate and tight.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2,119 of 2,773
You know, in the In the sound science forum they'll eat you raw if don't you back up these seemingly absurd telltales of yours with some concrete scientific references.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2,123 of 2,773
Quote:

For me, 1R comfort, DT770 for sound

Just demoed the DT770 Pro 80 at Guitar Center for the first time and I have to agree. The DT770 has more detail and more bass (and this was driven directly by my phone). While the velour pads were soft, the clamp was tight, so the 1R is definitely more comfortable. Perhaps the comfort gap would be narrower if the DT770 headband were stretched a bit. I was also very impressed with the build quality of the Beyers. These things felt solid, especially for their light weight, and there were no creaks or rattles.

Anyway, the DT770 is on my radar as a replacement for the 1R. It's just a matter choosing between the Pro 80 and Pro LE 32, and confirming that the clamp can be noticeably alleviated by stretching the headband.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #2,124 of 2,773
Quote:
Sooo what if you drink milk and listen at the same time?

If you drink milk & take vitamin D... calcium doesn't get absorbed in the body without vitamin D :) that's why doctors tell women with osteoporosis emphasize vitamin D + calcium.

You know, in the In the sound science forum they'll eat you raw if don't you back up these seemingly absurd telltales of yours with some concrete scientific references. 
wink.gif

hahaha... everything I said is scientifically accurate. that is definitely what happens in your body. whether you can actually hear a discernible difference can be debatable. I would personally think no, but KElyas said that he/she personally experienced more musical enjoyment in sunshine, so I just throw out a possibility for the underlying mechanism. Another possibility would related to dopamine neurotransmitter release, but that wouldn't really be specifically related to sunlight.

Mmm... I don't think this is any more absurd than the idea of burn-in.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #2,127 of 2,773
Quote:
You won't hear any difference.

If you warm the milk up however..... who knows where the music could take you.
biggrin.gif

+1. honestly you really just need to try it & see if your ears can detect the difference. after you gain more experience and ear-training, you'll be amazed of how subtle things like different cables, burn in, and warm milk can positively impact the sound!! :)

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #2,129 of 2,773
Quote:
Just demoed the DT770 Pro 80 at Guitar Center for the first time and I have to agree. The DT770 has more detail and more bass (and this was driven directly by my phone). While the velour pads were soft, the clamp was tight, so the 1R is definitely more comfortable. Perhaps the comfort gap would be narrower if the DT770 headband were stretched a bit. I was also very impressed with the build quality of the Beyers. These things felt solid, especially for their light weight, and there were no creaks or rattles.

Anyway, the DT770 is on my radar as a replacement for the 1R. It's just a matter choosing between the Pro 80 and Pro LE 32, and confirming that the clamp can be noticeably alleviated by stretching the headband.

My DT770 Pro 80ohm is a better sounding can than my 1R, period. Yet, I don't think it's a comparable can other than they are both closed. The 1R is a portable and efficient can. The DT770 is not.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,130 of 2,773
I agree, the dt770s sound a little better, and have a much wider sound stage. I don't mind the clamping pressure either. I actually don't thing it has a lot but everyone else does.

For me though, I think there is little difference between most portable cans sound-wise. Too much thought shouldn't be put into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back