Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2,087 of 2,773
I'm wondering if the rattle is a defect in the design itself, not the manufacturing.

Also, unrelated to the rattle, the right cup adjustment on this unit seems about twice as tight as the left. There should not be this many quality control issues at this price range. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,088 of 2,773
Just gently wiggle the base of the cable where it plugs into the headphone. It should feel pretty loose and make a clicking sound if it has the defect.

The connection itself is tight, but the female end is loose inside the casing.

No, I've read what people have said about it, so I know what you guys are talking about. My pair and several other pairs I know people have bought do not have this issue at all. This issue or the creaking and rattling issue are just not present in mine. Now I just want to SEE what everyone is talking about instead.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #2,089 of 2,773
Alrighty guys, I need some headphone recommendations. I've narrowed it down to the hd598 with fiio e11, dt880 32 ohm without fiio e11, and the mdr ma900 with fiio e11. Please try to stick to the list because ive already done a few months of research on these.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #2,090 of 2,773
Woops accidently posted that in this thread.
Well anyway, is it just me our do these sound better at night? Its kinda weird.

Yesterday I was getting sick of the sound but right around 8 o' clock they sounded great. Same is happening today. Making me think about keeping them after all...

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #2,091 of 2,773
Quote:
Woops accidently posted that in this thread.
Well anyway, is it just me our do these sound better at night? Its kinda weird.

Yesterday I was getting sick of the sound but right around 8 o' clock they sounded great. Same is happening today. Making me think about keeping them after all...

yes, this is a well documented audiophile phenomena. as night falls, the ambient temperature slowly drops. the dropping temperature means that there is a decrease in thermal energy that causes the air molecules to vibrating at a much lower frequency, which in turn allows the sound waves to move through the air with less interference. This results in a much cleaner sound with more detailed treble and a wider sound stage as there is less distortion. The bass also becomes tighter and less muddy. That is why many people notice that things sound muffled in the sauna where the air is very hot. This is also another explanation why open headphones generally sound better than closed headphones that get very hot and stuffy under the earpads.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,093 of 2,773
Wow... I didn't know that .. That explains a lot. That's probably why some people give up on particular cans sometime. I still want to get the ma900s now because of my gaming and overall music needs. It's between those, dt880, q701, and hd598.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #2,094 of 2,773
I've decided to return mine for a refund -- no more replacements. It's like playing the lottery trying to get one without jack rattle. The frustrating thing is any alternative headphone I end up buying will not be as comfortable, nor have this level of comfort, sound quality, and portability all in a single package.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,096 of 2,773
I've decided to return mine for a refund -- no more replacements. It's like playing the lottery trying to get one without jack rattle. The frustrating thing is any alternative headphone I end up buying will not be as comfortable, nor have this level of comfort, sound quality, and portability all in a single package.

Maybe you can try getting one from another supplier? Preferably from Asia-Pacific? My pair doesn't have any of the QC issues.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #2,098 of 2,773
Quote:
I would in a heartbeat if I had any guarantee aside from a couple owners not having the issue -- it's just too risky importing them.

is your jack rattle problem something that you hear when you are sitting still or when you are walking around or only when you are messing with the cable?

I purchased a MDR-1R from amazon and I did not notice any jack rattling during normal usage, or when I am walking about, or when I jump around/shake my head. However, I was able to "replicate" the issue by wiggling the wire right next to the 3.5 input plug.

what exactly is the issue that you are experiencing and when do you experience it?? is this an issue apparent from the start or happens after long-term usage?

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #2,099 of 2,773
Quote:
is your jack rattle problem something that you hear when you are sitting still or when you are walking around or only when you are messing with the cable?

I purchased a MDR-1R from amazon and I did not notice any jack rattling during normal usage, or when I am walking about, or when I jump around/shake my head. However, I was able to "replicate" the issue by wiggling the wire right next to the 3.5 input plug.

what exactly is the issue that you are experiencing and when do you experience it?? is this an issue apparent from the start or happens after long-term usage?

It's noticeable during minor head movement (e.g. turning my head slightly to look at my secondary monitor). 

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #2,100 of 2,773
Quote:
Hey those who own the 1Rs, what country was yours manufactured in?

mdr-1RNC, Malaysia made

Quote:

It'll depend. The MDR-1Rs have a support ring, whilst the BT doesn't (weird, I actually thought I uploaded these pix before but obviously not) :-

NC version use the same pad as BT, but housing structure is different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back