Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,131 of 2,773
But DT770 are just ... huge.. Tried using them as portables, but it's literally impossible to wear them around your neck, this means they require big expensive case to carry them around instead, what's more, cable is non-detachable and it's like 5m long, plus they totally can't show their potential without an AMP from E11 league.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #2,132 of 2,773
Quote:
But DT770 are just ... huge.. Tried using them as portables, but it's literally impossible to wear them around your neck, this means they require big expensive case, what's more, cable is undetachable and it's like 5 meters, plus they totally can't show their potential without an AMP from E11 league.

The portability I need is more for transportability. I need to be able to easily bring them to and from work. If I were to be using these on the street, I'd certainly look for something different. 

I ended going with the DT770 32ohm Anniversary Edition. I'll post a comparison when they arrive Monday.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2,133 of 2,773
I know I agree. Not fun for portable use, but theyve got beret found then many other portables. Its a matter of priorities. If you don't mind the size and stuff, then they wont really work. I personally cant deal with it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,134 of 2,773
Quote:
I agree, the dt770s sound a little better, and have a much wider sound stage. I don't mind the clamping pressure either. I actually don't thing it has a lot but everyone else does.

For me though, I think there is little difference between most portable cans sound-wise. Too much thought shouldn't be put into it.

I owned Premium DT770 (non Pro) 600 Ohm and would never choose them over MDR-1R, too much recession in the mids and too much energy in the treble, overall distant and cold, but they must sound different than Pro.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,135 of 2,773
I owned Premium DT770 (non Pro) 600 Ohm and would never choose them over MDR-1R, too much recession in the mids and too much energy in the treble, overall distant and cold, but they must sound different than Pro.

Hmph.. You'll always get disagreements. I do have 4 questions though:
Amp?
Source?
What type of music do you listen to?
Never?
I'm starting to like the mdr 1rs for pretty much anything, but the dt770 80 ohms get the edge eqd of course. I eq everything though.

I do like treble but not recessed lower mids. It depends.on the type of music.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,136 of 2,773
Just demoed the DT770 Pro 80 at Guitar Center for the first time and I have to agree. The DT770 has more detail and more bass (and this was driven directly by my phone). While the velour pads were soft, the clamp was tight, so the 1R is definitely more comfortable. Perhaps the comfort gap would be narrower if the DT770 headband were stretched a bit. I was also very impressed with the build quality of the Beyers. These things felt solid, especially for their light weight, and there were no creaks or rattles.

Anyway, the DT770 is on my radar as a replacement for the 1R. It's just a matter choosing between the Pro 80 and Pro LE 32, and confirming that the clamp can be noticeably alleviated by stretching the headband.

The mdr 1r is in competition with senn momentum, m100, akg k167/267, and ue6000, not the dt770s. But if you think you can use them portably, then by all means take a shot at it. They sound great to me, just a little too bassy.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,139 of 2,773
Mar 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,140 of 2,773
Quote:
Hmph.. You'll always get disagreements. I do have 4 questions though:
Amp?
Source?
What type of music do you listen to?
Never?
I'm starting to like the mdr 1rs for pretty much anything, but the dt770 80 ohms get the edge eqd of course. I eq everything though.

I do like treble but not recessed lower mids. It depends.on the type of music.

Everything is in profile, not sure that music style matters to tell if something is recessed in the mids or overly bright.
But as I mentioned I was referring to Premium, non Pro version, so they could have some differences.
Not trying to say that MDR-1R is the end of the world on refinement side, I personally find K271S wit Dog Pads or Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads much more enticing, but they both are not that slick and definitely need amp to sound their best.
MDR-1R though has that very special coloration that make them very interesting and enjoyable. Almost like improved version of ATH-ESW9.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,141 of 2,773
Quote:
is it a good buy for a new mdr-1r if it only cost 150usd? i got an offer from the seller and if it is the best headphone i can get for 150usd i will buy it then. i think the only competitor within this price range is the m50 and beyer custom 1 pro, right?

The lowest price I've seen for a new Sony MDR-1R is $180 (not including shipping). It is unlikely you can find another starting-price-$300+ pair of headphones discounted to that price. The lowest I've seen the retail-priced-$300 AKG K550 is $190. Another big discount of this price range that I have seen is the Ultrasone Pro 900 (retailed at $600, currently $280) go down to $200 during an Amazon lightening deal.

So I don't think you can find another competitor in the $300 price range will get discounted 50% off. I know that some people have been selling MDR-1Rs at a very low discount price as they came along free with a certain Sony cellphone in the UK. For people who thought the MDR-1R was a good pair of headphones at $300, obviously getting them for $150 is a great deal. However, the sound is definitely slightly colored to my ears, and if you don't like that coloration, then you may prefer something else.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #2,144 of 2,773
3 days in with the 1R, already having cable problems. The sound would randomly cut off or faint out on the right side. This is with the mic-remote cable, I have not tried the audio only cable yet but if the remote cable doesn't work then this headphone is useless for me. Call me feature wh*ring or anything, when the temperature is as low as 5 F you don't want to touch the iPod's aluminum body or remove your gloves just to change songs/volume. 

Too bad, I enjoyed the sound and comfort quite a bit and thought they would be a nice alternative for when I don't feel like hauling the giant D7100 outside. I will return them, but I'm unsure if I should get a refund or replacement. Given that many users are having cable problems as well I don't think I can get lucky. Maybe I will get a replacement first, and if that one turns out to be a lemon as well then I'll be done with the 1R.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,145 of 2,773
Quote:
3 days in with the 1R, already having cable problems. The sound would randomly cut off or faint out on the right side. This is with the mic-remote cable, I have not tried the audio only cable yet but if the remote cable doesn't work then this headphone is useless for me. Call me feature wh*ring or anything, when the temperature is as low as 5 F you don't want to touch the iPod's aluminum body or remove your gloves just to change songs/volume. 

Too bad, I enjoyed the sound and comfort quite a bit and thought they would be a nice alternative for when I don't feel like hauling the giant D7100 outside. I will return them, but I'm unsure if I should get a refund or replacement. Given that many users are having cable problems as well I don't think I can get lucky. Maybe I will get a replacement first, and if that one turns out to be a lemon as well then I'll be done with the 1R.

I hope you get your replacement... it's disappointing that Sony has these QC issues when the product is being sold at a premium price.
Such a downer for a very good headphone for both comfort and sound quality.
I'm one of the lucky ones who has no issues so far (4 months)... not even the jack rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back