Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #2,101 of 2,773
I would in a heartbeat if I had any guarantee aside from a couple owners not having the issue -- it's just too risky importing them.

It does seem to be the case that the issue is lessened in cans from outside the North American market, but I agree it's too risky at this point.

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #2,103 of 2,773
Needing an amp to make a headphone shine doesn't automatically make it a bad headphone without an amp :) 

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,106 of 2,773
Quote:
can these cans be worn for hours and hours on end?

I do, when I'm at work. My ears do get warm, but I only notice when I take them off. The headband needs some replacing on the top of my head every now and then, but I'm not really used to wearing full-size cans all the time, though. I use to wear the HD201 and they are not nearly as comfortable as the MDR-1Rs!

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,107 of 2,773
Quote:

If you do a lot of walking you can but while just sitting with them on, they get warm and your ears might be touched by the sharp drivers. Not only that but my ears are a little crowded by the small ear pads. For me, friction builds but i can handle it for another say 45 min.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,108 of 2,773
I have the MDR-1RNC. Is it worth buying a set of regular MDR-1R to compare the sound?

Been curious about this, but don't know the answer.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2,109 of 2,773
Quote:
I would in a heartbeat if I had any guarantee aside from a couple owners not having the issue -- it's just too risky importing them.

Yes, I imported mine from Accessory Jack and I don't have this problem. It seems that they have fewer problems for whatever reason.

My mic cable doesn't work though, so there's that. It costs too much to send it back to Hong Kong, but since there's another cable and I don't make calls with the 1R, it's fine.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #2,110 of 2,773
Quote:

Yes, I imported mine from Accessory Jack and I don't have this problem. It seems that they have fewer problems for whatever reason.

My mic cable doesn't work though, so there's that. It costs too much to send it back to Hong Kong, but since there's another cable and I don't make calls with the 1R, it's fine.

Are the Accessory Jack units manufactured elsewhere? The ones from Amazon were made in Thailand.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,111 of 2,773

yes, you can definitely wear them for long periods of time. the inner earcup is slanted to 22mm deep and it swivels, so you shld b able to fit your ears within the earcups w/o any friction. the earcup dimensions are large enough to fit over your ears without discomfort.

generally, closed headphones will heat up your ears. it isn't too bad though.

i've worn these headphones straight for 5hrs+ while studying and did not notice any discomfort.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,115 of 2,773
Quote:
4th unit arrived today from Amazon. It also has jack rattle. This was after Amazon had taken it down for a couple of days to investigate the complaints -- I guess they did nothing.

It seems like the majority of units have the defect, and there's only a slim percentage of actually getting one without it. 

not much you can do to sealed goods in 2 days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back