Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,056 of 2,773
Quote:

Oh maybe I was misunderstood. I didn't post that to criticize anyone or direct people on what to do. I simply meant to share what my experience is with the particular topic or EQ'ing anything. If you're doing something to your EQ to make it more enjoyable for you, who am I to say that's wrong? If anything, I say go for it!

Sorry If I sounded offended, I just wanted to give another point of view 
size]

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2,057 of 2,773
Quote:
So basicly what you do is to remove the sound signature of the headphone, it is a mid bass/mid can. There should be alot of V sounding headphones instead for ppl who do not like the sound sig sony uses.

I'm the one who owns the Sonys, not vice versa so I can tell it how to sound and customize it to my tastes. It was at a price too good to refuse and they seemed great so i got them. I love how nice the midbass sounds and things like vocals and saxophones  but they sound too loud against the rest, so why can't I change that? They respond great to EQ so I use it, if you choose not to then that's fine but don't go telling others what and what not to do with the pair that they bought themselves.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,058 of 2,773
No need to get angry mister, just can't see the reason to ruin the good balance in them. Still you can do whatever you want with your stuff ofc, if boosting the bass to much on the mdr-1r it start to bleed into the mids.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,059 of 2,773
Quote:
No need to get angry mister, just can't see the reason to ruin the good balance in them. Still you can do whatever you want with your stuff ofc, if boosting the bass to much on the mdr-1r it start to bleed into the mids.

I'm not angry, just making an equal response. On my cowon Z2 DAP which I use the EQ on, it has a Mach3Bass setting which boosts bass without bleeding. It's not ruining the balance unless it begins to sound bad, but it sounds even cleaner once the highs are boosted and the bass doesn't effect it unless I set it too high. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,060 of 2,773
V singature make the headphone being able to listen at lower volumes for sure, and still you can hear details.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,061 of 2,773
So I've been playing around with the EQ settings both on Sony Xperia and iPod Touch 5gen... I find it really hard to get the proper adjustments without messing up the already awesome mids of the MDR1r. At first, I thought Rock preset was the closest I could get to a satisfying fun sound but the lower midrange was just too forward. Then finally I tried Jazz preset... and wow! It just sounds fun! fun! fun! without losing the balance. A mid-centric headphone with Jazz preset EQ brings forward the highs to add a touch of sparkle and sub-bass for a much punchier bass. The crunch in the guitar sound is more raw in this setting as well which benefits Rock and Metal genres. The overall sound signature is now quite similar to the Sony XBA 3.

My setup:
Sony Xperia / Ipod Touch 5G (Jazz EQ preset) < FiiO E11 (Gain=1, EQ=0, Voltage=Low) < Sony MDR1r

Can someone with the same setup try this? It'd be nice to confirm if I'm hearing things right.
I'm no expert and I just fiddle around to find the best sound for me...

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #2,062 of 2,773
After hours of comparisons I realised that the iPod touch 5th Gen doesn't need an amp to drive the MDR1r. As a matter of fact the synergy is perfect between the two. No need for EQ settings! I'm loving my MDR1r even more now that I have the ipod touch 5Gen. I may have to sell the FiiO E11...

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #2,063 of 2,773
Quote:
After hours of comparisons I realised that the iPod touch 5th Gen doesn't need an amp to drive the MDR1r. As a matter of fact the synergy is perfect between the two. No need for EQ settings! I'm loving my MDR1r even more now that I have the ipod touch 5Gen. I may have to sell the FiiO E11...

In what way do you prefer the unamped sound? How would you describe the difference?

I'm interested, because I was wondering what an amp would do for these cans. I use an iPod Nano 6G and the volume doesn't often pass 50% so for sake of output, it doesn't look like an amp is needed (Newbie though, so don't take my word!)

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2,064 of 2,773
After a 2nd replacement and a couple reviews from other customers complaining of the loose jack, Amazon had taken the 1R down for a couple days. It's back up now (I'm not sure if that means it was actually resolved or not) and I have 3rd replacement arriving tomorrow. I'll post another update then.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #2,065 of 2,773
Quote:

In what way do you prefer the unamped sound? How would you describe the difference?

I'm interested, because I was wondering what an amp would do for these cans. I use an iPod Nano 6G and the volume doesn't often pass 50% so for sake of output, it doesn't look like an amp is needed (Newbie though, so don't take my word!)

The problem with this is all amps change the sound in different ways. You should be pairing a specific amp to a specific can. The good news is, in my experience, the 1R's signature doesn't change very much when you do give it more power. It simply becomes louder.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,066 of 2,773
If anyone is interested in using the headset cable with the mini-microphone:

I just got my package from amazon http://www.amazon.de/Lindy-iPhone-Audio-Adapter-Cable/dp/B0053EOFNQ and the adapter (splitting the single cable into an extra audio/extra microphone cable) works perfectly with the Sony-MDR-1R on a PC or Laptop. Adapter cable is very thin, but quality from mic is good and loud in my opinion. Makes a nice headset.

There may be cheaper options, but I just happened to order this one and glad it worked.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,067 of 2,773
Quote:
If anyone is interested in using the headset cable with the mini-microphone:

I just got my package from amazon http://www.amazon.de/Lindy-iPhone-Audio-Adapter-Cable/dp/B0053EOFNQ and the adapter (splitting the single cable into an extra audio/extra microphone cable) works perfectly with the Sony-MDR-1R on a PC or Laptop. Adapter cable is very thin, but quality from mic is good and loud in my opinion. Makes a nice headset.

There may be cheaper options, but I just happened to order this one and glad it worked.

Nice info, thanks.
Has anyone found good quality longer 1/8" to 1/4" cable, so I don't need adapter when using it with desktop rig, that fits 1R earcup socket.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,068 of 2,773
Here's some short impressions:
Bass
I personally feel that the bass is almost at the perfect level, maybe a tiny bit too much for rock. The bass is nice and tight with plenty of impact, though it to me does lack speed. It is fast enough to handle rock eq'd though, just not the best. The bass isn't muddy or anything, it just sounds great.

Highs and mids
Now these are my favorite parts about these. With hip hop and rock, the vocals are just great. The balance between all of the frequencies is phenomenal, but the problem lies in ...
Soundstage
These don't really have a large soundstage. They have a soundstage that can't really even compete with the likes of the dt770, and seems to be a little smaller than the Uptowns. Now what they do have is a great sense of where exactly the sound is coming from.

Build
These things look just as great as they look in the pictures. They don't have the best build and I do have the headphone rattle and cable noise. Very annoying.

Comfort
At first I was like "omg, these are the most comfortable cans ever!", but now that I've worn them a little bit, they aren't nearly as comfortable. (I know I have them on right), my ears are cramped and smashed a little by both the drivers and ear pads. This problem seems to go away a little while being used portably though. Still, they aren't as comfortable as the citiscape Uptowns.

Overall, I prefer the DT770s in the comfort and well everything compartment, except styling. To me, I MUST like how the cans look if I'm going to like them . They don't have to be overly flashy, I just have to like something about it. It's not really even that hard to make a pair of cans that i like the look of.

They are a little better than the Uptowns, though they do seem to suffer from the same things that most other portables suffer from (soundstage, instrument separation, speed). I was probably expecting too much because I'm not using an amp or anything, so they're potential hasn't yet been reached.

The sound isn't really my main problem though, it's really the comfort. I can where them out and about, but when I sit down and actually listen too them it isn'tt the best experience. I thought that the dt770s were relatively comfortable to other cans, but that velour was a little itchy. The Uptowns would be perfect if it wasn't for the pressure, the k167s weren't comfortable at all, and neither were the grados.

It sounds like I really don't like them, but I really do, it's just this comfort/soundstage issue.

I've only had them since the 14th (march), so I haven't burnt them in completely. I only believe in 10-20 hour crucial burn in, and the other 80 hours are just very small improvements, and your ears adapting to the sound. But who knows, I think the MDR 7506s aren't comfortable but I've still kept them.

Only time will tell...

Oh, and I'd say the k167 and these are directly comparable so the price on the MDR 1rs definitely should decrease along the likes of $200, but the momentum , m100, etc should too IMO.

I do absolutely love them for hip hop and rock, the fast type of rock plus I think they're great with electric guitars.. I like the, soooo much but they're uncomfortable...

Imma probably keep them though.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,069 of 2,773

My main reason is portability. The E11 is quite transparent for an amp so, it doesn't really change the sound signature of the MDR1r which is a good thing. The only benefits I noticed from the E11 are a slight punchiness in bass, a bit more soundstage wideness, and a tad smoother highs. Pls take note that these are only noticeable upon critical listening in a quiet environment. That is why I think amping is unnecessary if one is just a casual listener who wants to enjoy a decent sounding music.

If you have a different amp the results may be very different from mine.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2,070 of 2,773
Just had one of those moments; completely immersed in the music. Listening to 24-Carat Black - Poverty Paradise.

Wow. Absolutely love these headphones. With a little bit of EQ'ing I've set them to the exact sound I like for my music and I haven't had any comfort or build quality issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back