Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,951 of 2,773
I think it is more that I am a quite large person, im 192cm and I do not look skinny. My whole body is quite large(not like overweight just big) so my ears look normal as they fit the rest of the body, but ofc bigger than the average person.
I think it is more that I am a quite large person, im 192cm and I do not look skinny. My whole body is quite large(not like overweight just big) so my ears look normal as they fit the rest of the body, but ofc bigger than the average person.

Oh I see, thanks for the insight. I'm quite small so hopefully I won't have the same problem, I'm. Sorry your experiencing comfort issues though.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,952 of 2,773
The sound weighs up for it, perfect for dog walking or working in garage or garden. As I dont use it for to long then.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,953 of 2,773
Quote:
I have not heard the Momentum but from what I read,
It is not their best offering and to me it looks simply hideous and not portable. .
Edit:
I also be believe appearance can affect your perceptions as the mind is a powerful influence.
Placebo effect in itself is more real than actuall reality as it affects perceptions.
Just look at the "audio cable" industry as a result of it.
So that's not helping the ugly Momentums..
Edit:
Yet in essence those that know of this are potentially liberated from it..

That is very interesting thought that I personally really agree with.

I feel like a lot of times some of the perceived negatives or positives of headphones are due to certain biases beyond just the sound quality and if you transplanted the sound of specific different  headphones all into the same exterior headphone shell and gave them the same price, people will see how easily swayed by factors outside of the pure sound quality.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,954 of 2,773
Bought the Sony MDR Brown-Silver now, and I'm satisfied with purchase.

Not going into details here, as most has been said already, but one of the main arguments was comfort: I got ears at least 6.5cm long and 2.5cm standing apart and it works on my head. Note that you may need to put the backside of your ear somehow "under" the leather and at the utmost back side. Then it worked for my ears too. Your ear might still touch the speaker, if it's standing apart farther - but hardly.

What could have been made better:
1) slightly stronger bass (take this with a grain of salt, as I found out most of my music is low quality, and I had much better quality on some higher quality tracks)
2) maybe a thin padding in front of the speaker, as the ears can still touch it. As an alternative you may put a thin piece of foam at the critical place.

I'd give the phone a 4/5. Nothing below. And to be honest I don't think there isn't any better phone available, if you want the best of sound/comfort/design - and you are "gifted" with difficult ears.
I tried lots of phones, including AKG, Beyerdynamic, Ath, Shure, Sennheiser. There was always something which would suck, and most of them lacked in comfort, because of too shallow earpads. Only the Sennheiser 500 Series was equal or even slightly better in comfort - however if you look at the design: the Sony looks worlds better in the design and actually when wearing on your head. Oh btw. I have absolutly no rattling in the jack. It sits very tight. Time will show however if it'll wear out... I had no chance to try out the VModa-M100 unfortunately, but I doubt my ears would have been happy about them anyways...

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,955 of 2,773
Quote:
I have not heard the Momentum but from what I read,
It is not their best offering and to me it looks simply hideous and not portable. .
Edit:
I also be believe appearance can affect your perceptions as the mind is a powerful influence.
Placebo effect in itself is more real than actuall reality as it affects perceptions.
Just look at the "audio cable" industry as a result of it.
So that's not helping the ugly Momentums..
Edit:
Yet in essence those that know of this are potentially liberated from it..

I'm not sure how you can comment when you haven't seen, heard of felt the momentums first hand...

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,956 of 2,773
Quote:
I'm not sure how you can comment when you haven't seen, heard of felt the momentums first hand...

i've heard the momentum & they sounded nice! the earcups are definitely over-ear rather than on-ear though. I can't imagine anyone having small enough ears to have them fit over-ear. maybe a lil kid.

on-ear momentum aren't uncomfortable and i don't think being on-ear really makes a difference with the sound. I compared them with the AKG K550 and they were both really solid performers. there are slight variations in sound signature, but hard to say what's up. I thought the Momentums had a better bass than the AKG, but my brother said the opposite (and he was completely unbiased as he didn't read any impressions of either pair of headphones & had no idea which one was supposed to sound like what).

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,957 of 2,773
Adding to my last post: on 2nd thought and by actual comparing the large earcup of the Sony and the pictures posted by AnakChan http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e8/500x1000px-LL-e89d11d6_DSC_2741.jpeg - I think I was misled by the "small looking cavity" on the pictures. In fact the cavity is quite huge in real (at least for the Sony). But the VModa 100 does not look much smaller at all. I could imagine that the VModa might even fit to my ears. Whereas the Sony has an angled earcup having deeper parts behind, there are more shallow parts on the front. This makes it more difficult to adjust if your ears are standing off.
The VModa has a constant depth of 2cm or something like that which makes it easier to adjust as the depth is always the same. And the width of the Sony is 4 or cm - however the width of the VModa with its 3.5cm would be enough.

Finding that out, I am now not sure if the Sony was the right choice. I mean, the Sony is a good choice, but maybe the VModa would have been the *perfect* choice. Harrgh, dammit!
confused.gif

But then again: there seems to be long waiting times getting a VModa 100 in Europe - if at all - because I can't find a shop. Not to talk about what to do when needing warranty... (or general things like e.g. needing new earpads etc.)

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,958 of 2,773
Quote:
Adding to my last post: on 2nd thought and by actual comparing the large earcup of the Sony and the pictures posted by AnakChan http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e8/500x1000px-LL-e89d11d6_DSC_2741.jpeg - I think I was misled by the "small looking cavity" on the pictures. In fact the cavity is quite huge in real (at least for the Sony). But the VModa 100 does not look much smaller at all. I could imagine that the VModa might even fit to my ears. Whereas the Sony has an angled earcup having deeper parts behind, there are more shallow parts on the front. This makes it more difficult to adjust if your ears are standing off.
The VModa has a constant depth of 2cm or something like that which makes it easier to adjust as the depth is always the same. And the width of the Sony is 4 or cm - however the width of the VModa with its 3.5cm would be enough.

Finding that out, I am now not sure if the Sony was the right choice. I mean, the Sony is a good choice, but maybe the VModa would have been the *perfect* choice. Harrgh, dammit!
confused.gif

But then again: there seems to be long waiting times getting a VModa 100 in Europe - if at all - because I can't find a shop. Not to talk about what to do when needing warranty... (or general things like e.g. needing new earpads etc.)

yea I'm confused as to why the m100s are not available in the UK right now...

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,960 of 2,773
Quote:

confused.gif

hey, if you already got the MDR-1R, just relax. you made a good choice.

if you are trying to decide between them still. the M100 you can get the black one from amazon. i would recommend getting it from a seller that has an easy returns process just in case they don't fit you. The earcup diameter of the M100 is great! I don't think that is really the problem when users complain about comfort. From my personal experience, it is simply the earcup depth which I measured to be only 15mm. The back of my ears definitely pressed up against the driver, which caused me discomfort after longer than 1 hour of wearing them. V-Moda will be releasing deeper earpads and many users do not experience this problem. I heard that the MDR goes from 12mm to 22mm (so the back of your ear should have clearance).

When talking about comfort, you really can't go by what people say on the internet. You really just have to try them out yourself. The sound signature of the M100 & MDR are quite different too. Both are solid headphones, so don't worry too much.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,962 of 2,773
^^ I have Momentums and the edge of my ears touch the inside edge of the cups. It isn't uncomfortable though, because of that nice inner fabric material.

The MDR-1R is dully cirucumaural for me but the pleather is less breathable.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,963 of 2,773
Quote:

I have the Momentums and my ears are 6 cms tall. Earcups seat around my ears nicely, without creating pressure points.

reallyyyyyyyy?????? lol i am genuinely shocked. i just went & measured my ears to be 5.5 cm tall. The earcup hole measures out to be a little less than 5.5cm tall & a little bit less than 3.5cm wide.

the momentums are definitely comfortable and I don't really feel any pressure points at all, but there is no way for the pads not to be semi-ontop of my ears. I tried to get them to be only around my ears, but I can definitely feel some parts of the earpad ontop of my ears. They aren't completely on ears but they aren't completely around the ears either.

I am not saying they are uncomfortable, because the Momentums are actually extremely comfortable for me. However, if you try a over-ear like the AKG K550 or the ATH-ANC 7, you can totally tell the difference where the earpads contact at your skull rather than against your ears.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,964 of 2,773
Quote:
reallyyyyyyyy?????? lol i am genuinely shocked. i just went & measured my ears to be 5.5 cm tall. The earcup hole measures out to be a little less than 5.5cm tall & a little bit less than 3.5cm wide.

the momentums are definitely comfortable and I don't really feel any pressure points at all, but there is no way for the pads not to be semi-ontop of my ears. I tried to get them to be only around my ears, but I can definitely feel some parts of the earpad ontop of my ears. They aren't completely on ears but they aren't completely around the ears either.

I am not saying they are uncomfortable, because the Momentums are actually extremely comfortable for me. However, if you try a over-ear like the AKG K550 or the ATH-ANC 7, you can totally tell the difference where the earpads contact at your skull rather than against your ears.

I agree completely, not one on earth anyone can fit their ears inside Momentum cups unless you are a Barbie doll. It's a gross misinformation that they fit around *average* ears.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,965 of 2,773
I have the Momentums and my ears are 6 cms tall. Earcups seat around my ears nicely, without creating pressure points.

I have a hard time believing the Momentum truly fits around anyone's ears the way a full-sized cup is suppose to. Although they are marketed as such, the Momentum is definitely more of an on-ear can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back