Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #1,966 of 2,773
Quote:

Quote:
I have the Momentums and my ears are 6 cms tall. Earcups seat around my ears nicely, without creating pressure points.

I have a hard time believing the Momentum truly fits around anyone's ears the way a full-sized cup is suppose to. Although they are marketed as such, the Momentum is definitely more of an on-ear can.

That is unless Mr. Blonde took a straight razor to you.

tumblr_mic9vr8j3Y1rmtenjo3_250.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,968 of 2,773
Quote:
hey, if you already got the MDR-1R, just relax. you made a good choice.

if you are trying to decide between them still. the M100 you can get the black one from amazon. i would recommend getting it from a seller that has an easy returns process just in case they don't fit you. The earcup diameter of the M100 is great! I don't think that is really the problem when users complain about comfort. From my personal experience, it is simply the earcup depth which I measured to be only 15mm. The back of my ears definitely pressed up against the driver, which caused me discomfort after longer than 1 hour of wearing them. V-Moda will be releasing deeper earpads and many users do not experience this problem. I heard that the MDR goes from 12mm to 22mm (so the back of your ear should have clearance).

When talking about comfort, you really can't go by what people say on the internet. You really just have to try them out yourself. The sound signature of the M100 & MDR are quite different too. Both are solid headphones, so don't worry too much.

Thanks for reassuring me. It's just being perfectionist and thinking "you can always get a better one" - especially when seeing 98% 5-star-reviews on amazon.com about the VModa M100. But after reading "15mm depth" and by diverse amazon reviews talking about 13mm depth only... I am 100% sure these headphones would have been too shallow for me. I tried some other headphones with equal depth previously and it began to hurt after 2 minutes.

I still do wonder about the percentage of people with all these raving reviews... I mean I couldn't give a headphone 5***-star review if I had comfort issues - so I guess all these people must be customers with lucky ears...

Glad though I read this, as it definitely confirms the Sony was the right choice for me.

Another thing is: although the jack doesn't rattle on the earphone itself (that one is very strong), the connector you plug into your computer holds only weakly, unfortunately. This was mentioned in some reviews as well. Weird thing... as if the diameter of the jack is 0.01mm too less.

PS: as there is talk about the Sennheiser Momentums: I tried them on the local market, comfort is as expected - bad - because the ear just doesn't fit in this small cavity. Definitely On-ear. Or half on/over ear, you get the feeling it doesn't know what it wants to be. And the padding is quite stiff, which makes it worse. Experience may differ with (very) small ears... Sound was good though, but I didn't find much difference to the Sony (I am not an audiophile, just judging from "fly-over"). I am not sure with my memory (tested it last week), but I had the feeling the Sennheiser 500 series (e.g. 558 etc) was slightly better than the Momentums... (somehow the Momentums didn't convince me too much).

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,969 of 2,773
Real quick note here. I've had my 1R for about a week now. A little more than 100 hours break in. I'm not experiencing any creaks, rattles, or cracks when I move them. No such noise at all of a material or surface rubbing against another material or surface. That's either while on my head or in my hands. I haven't been able to get any noise to come through the cans while I'm adjusting as well except for the typical cable rubbing against clothes. I am also not experiencing any of the loose or rotating cable issues some have talked about as well. The plug fit nice and snug into the cup port.

I believe I've been reading the same feedback from several other new owners as well. Whatever issues did exist before in the past, it seems Sony have quietly addressed them.

For whatever it's worth, I live in the US, but had my 1R imported from Japan because I really wanted the silver/brown variant.

I will be posting my own review of them as soon as I have a couple hundred more hours on them.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,970 of 2,773
I'm not sure how you can comment when you haven't seen, heard of felt the momentums first hand...

Truly you are correct as I need to own one lol.
I had similar bias against Grado untill I was enlightened so I recently purchased one.

I will have to listen first hand but I doubt my bias is too far off. Ha

P.S. my new Sony exhibit no creaks or noises.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,972 of 2,773
Quote:
Truly you are correct as I need to own one lol.
I had similar bias against Grado untill I was enlightened so I recently purchased one.

I will have to listen first hand but I doubt my bias is too far off. Ha

P.S. my new Sony exhibit no creaks or noises.

Your local apple store might have them if you want to see if your preconceptions remain afterwards.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,973 of 2,773
Quote:
I still do wonder about the percentage of people with all these raving reviews... I mean I couldn't give a headphone 5***-star review if I had comfort issues - so I guess all these people must be customers with lucky ears...

Glad though I read this, as it definitely confirms the Sony was the right choice for me.

I actually think it's from relative expectations and sensitivity. I am coming from a background of over-ear headphones that you simply forget you are wearing, and I am really sensitive (easily tickled and low pain tolerance type thing). My friend who has bigger ears than me tried the M100's and said they are super comfortable. He is used to on-ears that has really uncomfortable clamping force on his ears, so in comparison I don't think he really even noticed that his ears are against the drivers.

Also, I can see how some people have smaller ears or are less sensitive to discomfort or don't wear headphones long enough to experience pain or think that is a normal experience of wearing headphones too long. The sound and build quality of the M100 was very impressive as well, so people may be willing to be more forgiving about the comfort, especially if they do not need to do long listening sessions.

Honestly, they are both really great headphones. If you want lots of really good bass or are abusive with your headphones (more forgiving warranty & stronger build quality) or want to have unique headphones (w/ the custom shields), then M100. However, if you are concerned about comfort or want a more mid-centric sound, I would go MDR-1R over M100. I think that if you can't wear a pair of headphones comfortably, you shouldn't get them no matter how much you like their sound as you don't get to fully appreciate the music with the background discomfort bothering you.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,974 of 2,773
Replacement arrived. Just did a quick test for jack rattle and creaking, and there is none to speak of.

When transporting the headphones in a laptop bag every day, do you recommend removing the cable or leaving it in?

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,975 of 2,773
Quote:
Replacement arrived. Just did a quick test for jack rattle and creaking, and there is none to speak of.

When transporting the headphones in a laptop bag every day, do you recommend removing the cable or leaving it in?

Another newer 1R with no problems. Yup, it sounds like this fixed them.

When I transport my 1R in the provided bag, I remove my cables from the can.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,976 of 2,773
Does anyone know the exact pins of the Sony MDR-1R cable plug?

L=left audio output
R=right audio output
G=ground
M=mic

It can be either LRMG or LRGM, but it essential to know which one it is, as there exist 2 types of connectors (if you need to "split" the single cable into separate headphone/microphone cables for usage on laptop/PC). If you buy the wrong connector the microphone will not work.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,977 of 2,773
Does anyone have problems wearing it under a ceiling fan? Some people had problems with wind noise.

Another question, does it sound bright, harsh and sibilant in the upper mid/highs?

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,978 of 2,773
Does anyone have problems wearing it under a ceiling fan? Some people had problems with wind noise.

Another question, does it sound bright, harsh and sibilant in the upper mid/highs?
Zero problem with highs not pronounced at all, slightly laid back for lack of better description offhand.
Edit : better description is neutral or natural or smooth.
I discovered there are ports on top wich are affected by wind noise when outside.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,980 of 2,773
Quote:
Do you think that will wear the jack out over time?

I hope not, but I do kinda have the same concern as you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back