Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,936 of 2,773
Quote:
Compared to most other $300 consumer headphones, the K550 are definitely less bassy, but I think it if you can get use to em, you may find you really like it. My friend who owns them says it took him about 2 weeks to really start to enjoy the sound (& now he says all bass-heavy headphones sound muddy to him lol). Andhe's totally a treble-head now. You should also add try to demo the Sennheiser Momentums when you're at Best Buy!

There's also the Yamaha Pro 400/500, but I wouldn't personally recommend them. Since they basically ripped off the Beats design, if you thought the UE6000 looked gaudy/beats-like, there's probably no way you'll like those.

Less portable but how about the Mad Dogs at $300? I personally can't think of any other competitors to the MDR-1R at the $300 range, but if someone else can, I would love to hear about other opinions! Or maybe you should try getting a different pair of MDR-1R as it sounds like not everyone experiences the build quality issue that you had, so maybe it was just a bad batch?

Mad Dogs are good, but I wouldn't dare classify them as portable, both on style and amplification requirements.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,937 of 2,773
Quote:
Compared to most other $300 consumer headphones, the K550 are definitely less bassy, but I think it if you can get use to em, you may find you really like it. My friend who owns them says it took him about 2 weeks to really start to enjoy the sound (& now he says all bass-heavy headphones sound muddy to him lol). Andhe's totally a treble-head now. You should also add try to demo the Sennheiser Momentums when you're at Best Buy!

I actually owned the Momentums before returning them for the 1Rs. For a 30 minute listening session at Best Buy, they were great. Unfortunately, after buying them, I found myself constantly having to readjust them to relieve pressure points on my ears due to the small cup size. I really did not want to return these because I loved the sound so much, but sound means nothing if they cause discomfort.

I've also demoed the K550s a couple times, as recently as today when I went to demo the Denon D600s at Best Buy. Both times I did not care for the K550 sound -- as you said, because of the lack of bass. Spending a couple of weeks with them to see if they grow on me is too much of gamble.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved the sound of the D600, but comfort was the dealbreaker. The cups were spacious and soft, but the headband was way too narrow and poorly shaped to properly distribute the weight. Combine that with the very low clamping force, I felt pain on the top of my head within seconds.

I might do the M100 test-drive next, but I have a feeling I wont find them comfortable. The Mad Dogs look good, but they're not portable and require additional investment for an amp.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,938 of 2,773
Quote:
On the other hand, I absolutely loved the sound of the D600, but comfort was the dealbreaker. The cups were spacious and soft, but the headband was way too narrow and poorly shaped to properly distribute the weight. Combine that with the very low clamping force, I felt pain on the top of my head within seconds.

I couldn't get them to fit either. Did you try them backwards with the cables reversed? Made them quite comfortable for me in that configuration.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,940 of 2,773
Same experience here but it only occurs when I chew vigorously. Otherwise it doesnt creak at all. Well, maybe if I headbang to a metal tune.

Hey I just got my 1r and thru break in the treble smoothed out and they are excellent.
I am experiencing absolutely zero issues with any types of creaks or rattles.
I also using Vmoda wires and no problem.
Edit:
Ok I had to wiggle wire rapidly to achieve a rattle sound otherwise it's not detectable.
I would look into returning them for squeak issues for poster "action".
I believe any issue they quietly corrected with later productions.

I personally can't think of any other competitors to the MDR-1R at the $300 range, but if someone else can, I would love to hear about other opinions!...

Competitors at similar price range..

Ultrasone Pro 750
Sony MDR 1r
Vmoda m100

Guess with are better?
Hint: ones on top. .

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,941 of 2,773
Quote:
Competitors at similar price range..

Ultrasone Pro 750
Sony MDR 1r
Vmoda m100

Guess with are better?
Hint: ones on top. .

Ya, I already suggested the M100 & Pro 900, but the guy w/ rattle issues didn't like em for some reason. 

hey, wanna throw down a quick more detailed comparison why the mdr-1r was the best?? I personally really liked the M100, but I didn't get to spend a lot of time w/ the mdr-1r or do a direct comparison.

if you could gimme some example songs where the mid-bass of the mdr-1r shines thro so if i ever go back to demo I could use em to see that would be great.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,942 of 2,773
I like the UE6000 and for the price I actually think it is better value than the MDR-1R. It's actually built somewhat better at least (no creaking and the cable is locked), and folds up.

The thing I liked least about them was that the NC circuitry / general design makes the headphone bulkier and heavier than it should be. I always got the impression that if I turned my neck really fast they would fall off, so I had to sell them.

I also prefer Momentums to the 1R.

As I've always said if they married the sound of the 1R with the build quality of the Z1000 I would be very keen indeed.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #1,943 of 2,773
Update on the creaking and jack rattle...

Amazon is sending a replacement. If the replacement creaks/rattles as well, I'm just going to have to live with it. I've demoed a lot of cans over the past few weeks and nothing comes to close to this level of comfort and sound quality. I might end up trying the blu-tack mod to deal with the jack rattle if necessary.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #1,944 of 2,773
hey, wanna throw down a quick more detailed comparison why the mdr-1r was the best?? I personally really liked the M100, but I didn't get to spend a lot of time w/ the mdr-1r or do a direct comparison.

The Sony 1r mids obliterate the other two cans I mmentioned.
They have a more midrange centered clarity.
The soundstage on the others is further back.
The ultrasone 750 sounds bright & dryer but with excellent bass extension and overall signature similar to the ath m50.
The m100 is juicy but in comparison the bass is too bloated and mids are slightly recessed.

The Sony strike a perfect first row soundstage perspective and the clarity in the mids just surpasses the others.

I currently have at my disposal the m100, Ultrasone Pro 750, Sennheiser amperior, Beyer 1350, and finally the Audio Technica es700, wich by the way, is tied for my favorite with these Sony 1r.

The Sony 1r has a proper perspective in transient details and frequency signature.
In this higher level of headphone quality, all the others either accentuate frequency extremes(bass or treble or both), or produce to a degree, exaggerated compressed details(their "dynamic range") to where they have an artificial aspect in both sound & soundstage.

The Sonys get it right.
The transients are there.
The details are not both compressed and exaggerated to become confusing, busy, congested or slow with excess reverb.

The highs are not exaggerated in any way to behave peculiar like shiny or dry or metallic or dull.

The bass is nether bloated or anemic, although many would want more bass anyway.

The cans strike the perfect balance,
Yet with a midrage that is both involving and engaging.
Add to that both the comfort level and looks, they then end up being the choice every time when on the move.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #1,945 of 2,773
Nice impression maxx134, the headphone is very good for the money. Agree with you almost all the way except comfort as my ears touvh the driver casing. For me this is my headphone to use while I walk the dog or need something very portable. I feel it is abit sad as I tend to get angry of having it on me for longer than 30-60min due to comfort.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,946 of 2,773
Quote:
Update on the creaking and jack rattle...

Amazon is sending a replacement. If the replacement creaks/rattles as well, I'm just going to have to live with it. I've demoed a lot of cans over the past few weeks and nothing comes to close to this level of comfort and sound quality. I might end up trying the blu-tack mod to deal with the jack rattle if necessary.

I did the blu-tak mod and lived with it when i had rattling. It's not too bad,the creaking(for me) occurs only when i spread and twist the cups a little to put them on my head and/or get them off my head AND when i yawn or chew stuff with my mouth in an exaggerated manner.It doesn't interfere with listening sessions so it's all good.
Quote:
Nice impression maxx134, the headphone is very good for the money. Agree with you almost all the way except comfort as my ears touvh the driver casing. For me this is my headphone to use while I walk the dog or need something very portable. I feel it is abit sad as I tend to get angry of having it on me for longer than 30-60min due to comfort.

Have you tried moving the cups so to make it so your ears are sorta behind the curved drivers?Like, move the cups forward of your head a bit.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,947 of 2,773
Yes I have, can not have it on without ears touching the inside. Still a keeper in my eyes though

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #1,948 of 2,773
I also prefer Momentums to the 1R.

As I've always said if they married the sound of the 1R with the build quality of the Z1000 I would be very keen indeed.
I have not heard the Momentum but from what I read,
It is not their best offering and to me it looks simply hideous and not portable. .
Edit:
I also be believe appearance can affect your perceptions as the mind is a powerful influence.
Placebo effect in itself is more real than actuall reality as it affects perceptions.
Just look at the "audio cable" industry as a result of it.
So that's not helping the ugly Momentums..
Edit:
Yet in essence those that know of this are potentially liberated from it..

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,949 of 2,773

Would you say your ears are unusually large? I'm fearing that I'll have the same problem but I won't know till I try them

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,950 of 2,773
Would you say your ears are unusually large? I'm fearing that I'll have the same problem but I won't know till I try them

I think it is more that I am a quite large person, im 192cm and I do not look skinny. My whole body is quite large(not like overweight just big) so my ears look normal as they fit the rest of the body, but ofc bigger than the average person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back