Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,906 of 2,773
Got a pair of MDR-1r off eBay as its swamped with people selling their free pair that came with the new Sony Xperia Z.

First impressions. These looks a million dollars. Make my portable Bose Ae2i looks cheap plastic. Sound quality. Very neutral. 6 hours burn in and a lot better. Doesn't have deep punchy bass even using E12. So not ideal for trance. But great with other genres.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,908 of 2,773
Quote:
Adult supervision required when listening.
biggrin.gif

are you implying that I'm a kid?

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,909 of 2,773
I ordered it from ebay for dirt cheap too but am not sure whether to open it or not (and re-sell it in the future) because of two issues that I've heard from some reviews - the lack of sub bass and the tips of ears touching the driver 

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,910 of 2,773
Two things you can only try for yourself. At their normal price they probably have some stiff competition but at dirt-cheap and if you where looking at something cheap anyway you can do much worse.

I'm interested how it compares to the T50RP that's coming this way, the only one I in this price-range that has my attention.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,911 of 2,773
Quote:
Just tried the MDR-1R. Wow, so good for Hip-Hop, not so good for not so well recorded psychedelic music though... But for Hip-Hop its amazing. I also thought the regular MDR-1R sounded better than the MDR-1NC. Also, the comfort on the 1R was outstanding. The 1NC was heavier but still comfortable. Overall if I had to choose one to buy it would most definitely be the 1R

Hi, if you can remember how it sounded, what was the problem with pshchedelic music cos it's my favorite type of rock and I enjoy phycadelic soul quite a lot too. It being amazing for hip hop is great for me though becuase it is my favorite genre, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what exactly made it good for hip hop as well please (again if you can remember).

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #1,912 of 2,773
Quote:
Two things you can only try for yourself. At their normal price they probably have some stiff competition but at dirt-cheap and if you where looking at something cheap anyway you can do much worse.

I'm interested how it compares to the T50RP that's coming this way, the only one I in this price-range that has my attention.

yea I'm hoping (but fairly doubtful) that they'll be available to demo at the rather small sony store near my home so I'll see if they have it when I go back from uni. I don't understand why it's so easy to try out laptops before buying but not with headphones while demoing is so much more important for headphones. I mean it's mainly the specs of the laptops which are important and you can't test any of that other than the screen resolution in a store as far as I know

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,915 of 2,773
Quote:
Got a pair of MDR-1r off eBay as its swamped with people selling their free pair that came with the new Sony Xperia Z.

Wait - they give out free pairs with the Xperia Z?

That is a seriously good pack in offer...

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,918 of 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, but that phone is like $800!
ph34r.gif

I remember when I bought a Sony television a few years back they gave you a free PS3, which at that point was $699 on the Australian market.

Proportionally the value of the freebie in both cases is pretty high. I'd be pretty chuffed to get a nice set of headphones with a high end phone purchase... as opposed to when I bought my iP5. And got an iP5.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,919 of 2,773
After a few days of use, I'm strongly considering returning mine. Anything more than the slightest of head movements causes the plastic creaking sounds mentioned previously in this thread, as well as the occasional jack rattle. It's a shame, because these things sound awesome and are very comfortable.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #1,920 of 2,773
After a few days of use, I'm strongly considering returning mine. Anything more than the slightest of head movements causes the plastic creaking sounds mentioned previously in this thread, as well as the occasional jack rattle. It's a shame, because these things sound awesome and are very comfortable.

I wonder if Sony is aware of this and cares enough to make a revision

Users who are viewing this thread

Back