Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,651 of 2,773
If you haven't tried the Senn Momentum, it seems that it would fit your bill rather well. Only concern for me is the thin cable it had if it fits your head well, it will be rather comfortable too.

Momentum did have better treble and bass but don't have the soundstage and of course not the mids.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,652 of 2,773
Quote:
Just what makes you think it is an average headphone in any way? Excellent sound stage, lush mids with respectable thump in an extremely comfortable and stylish package at £170 under? Don't make me laugh grouping them same as Beats.

Sloppy decay, slow, un-engaging, poor isolation, and rolled off low end. Singing a headphone's praises without addressing its shortcomings makes you look bad.  Additionally, I've heard the soundstage is average at best, and the detail is sub-par.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,653 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's hard to keep it in line when people are being stone-headed and illogical. 

But my apologies.

Can you please explain us once more why you keep posting in this thread?

People are raving over a mainstream headphone that's $300 and is only average in the performance department. With headphones like the DT1350 around this headphone cannot possibly be worth its asking price given the reviews on it I've read so far. It's not even close to the 1350's standards based on what others have said. 

Additionally the remark about not wanting the 1R just because of the colorscheme kind of pissed me off. 

Unlike you I have actually heard both many times. While DT1350 sounded decent,  I dislike the DT1350 for quite a few reason, for one major factor called comfort at least.

If you loved your DT1350 so much, just go listen to it more! No one want to hear about how much you dislike others liking anything other than the mighty DT1350.

Don't post unless you heard it in a good listening environment. Listen with your ears instead of with your eyes reading text and graphs.

Additionally this kind of members on Head-Fi kind of pissed me off.

You're dancing around my point. Ignore the DT1350, it's just being used as an example. The point is that the MDR-1R is an average headphone that's being sold at a price far above average and yet people still rave about it. It makes absolutely no sense and the way that people flock around overpriced headphones like this irks me to no end. It's the same reason I hate Beats.

Just what makes you think it is an average headphone in any way? Excellent sound stage, lush mids with respectable thump in an extremely comfortable and stylish package at £170 under? Don't make me laugh grouping them same as Beats.

Sloppy decay, slow, un-engaging, poor isolation, and rolled off low end. Singing a headphone's praises without addressing its shortcomings makes you look bad.  Additionally, I've heard the soundstage is average at best, and the detail is sub-par.

Thinking you have actually heard it yourself makes you looks great.

This is the last response you will get from me.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,654 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's hard to keep it in line when people are being stone-headed and illogical. 

But my apologies.

Can you please explain us once more why you keep posting in this thread?

People are raving over a mainstream headphone that's $300 and is only average in the performance department. With headphones like the DT1350 around this headphone cannot possibly be worth its asking price given the reviews on it I've read so far. It's not even close to the 1350's standards based on what others have said. 

Additionally the remark about not wanting the 1R just because of the colorscheme kind of pissed me off. 

Unlike you I have actually heard both many times. While DT1350 sounded decent,  I dislike the DT1350 for quite a few reason, for one major factor called comfort at least.

If you loved your DT1350 so much, just go listen to it more! No one want to hear about how much you dislike others liking anything other than the mighty DT1350.

Don't post unless you heard it in a good listening environment. Listen with your ears instead of with your eyes reading text and graphs.

Additionally this kind of members on Head-Fi kind of pissed me off.

You're dancing around my point. Ignore the DT1350, it's just being used as an example. The point is that the MDR-1R is an average headphone that's being sold at a price far above average and yet people still rave about it. It makes absolutely no sense and the way that people flock around overpriced headphones like this irks me to no end. It's the same reason I hate Beats.

Thinking you have actually heard it yourself makes you looks great.

This is the last response you will get from me.

Have a nice day.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,656 of 2,773
Anyone concerned about pricing will be glad to know the 1R black is now $189 on Amazon, and the 1RNC at $315, probably as a result of price-matching Macmall's sale.

My 1RBT is on order, and after trying the 1R at Sony Style, I can't wait for them to arrive - my HD25s have annihilated my skull.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,657 of 2,773
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has compared the MDR-1R to the Yamaha PRO 500?  When I auditioned the MDR-1R, I liked the forwardness of the mids, but was disappointed in the detail- if Sony is going to put their mids under a microscope by making them so forward, IMO they missed a big opportunity to make them detail monsters.  Also, I was disappointed in their bass as I prefer the M-100.  The Yamaha PRO 500 has a few nice reviews as well as some impressions on their thread that speak to excellent bass performance and a high level of midrange detail which would address my two biggest concerns with the MDR-1R.

if you're willing to go as far as the 500, I'd think it'd be better to skip n maybe try the 7520, ath-w1000x (saw them for $470ish one day on amazon, hd650. I saw somewhere that the p500 cable was bad.

Just finished watching an OVA that made my day :)

Edit: ah, search the pro500 review, I think there are some out there if you're wondering.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,658 of 2,773
Quote:
If you haven't tried the Senn Momentum, it seems that it would fit your bill rather well. Only concern for me is the thin cable it had if it fits your head well, it will be rather comfortable too.

Momentum did have better treble and bass but don't have the soundstage and of course not the mids.

Quote:
if you're willing to go as far as the 500, I'd think it'd be better to skip n maybe try the 7520, ath-w1000x (saw them for $470ish one day on amazon, hd650. I saw somewhere that the p500 cable was bad.

Just finished watching an OVA that made my day :)

Edit: ah, search the pro500 review, I think there are some out there if you're wondering.

Momentum would make sense except that I didn't care for them.  I believe it is because I find I am sensitive to brighter headphones.  However, I also find their bass loose compared to M-100 and MDR-R1.

@MrViolin Thank you for the suggestions.  I should have mentioned that I am only looking at closed headphones. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #1,659 of 2,773
Quote:
Momentum would make sense except that I didn't care for them.  I believe it is because I find I am sensitive to brighter headphones.  However, I also find their bass loose compared to M-100 and MDR-R1.

@MrViolin Thank you for the suggestions.  I should have mentioned that I am only looking at closed headphones. 

Momentum, bright? Did I interpret what you wrote wrong? Momentum has some of the most rolled off treble in any headphone I've heard.

I also find the MDR-1R's bass MUCH more loose than the Momentum's. Momentum has a bit more in concentration, but MDR-1R's bounces all over the place.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #1,660 of 2,773
So many different opinions in this thread, and relax takato. You sound like a raging child while trying to defend your own opinions.
Also I ant see how you find the bass to be loose and bounce all over the place. The bass hits whene its supposed to be there and stays when no bass is called for. And this about speed, you can throw on some really fast metal/rock tracks with loth of detail and they do not sound confused.

Yes they are not detail monsters, but this is also because of the laid back highs. I found this headphone extremely worth the price comparered to most of the others in the price range. Its portable and small, engaging and relaxing sound and yes it looks cool(for portable use and if you care about looks, this is a point).

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,661 of 2,773
i agree that the bass is loose, but that is when i only pair it straight out from a dap. not sure if it improves overtime or when amped.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,662 of 2,773
Wow, what a discovery. These are quite fantastic now.

After a bit of experimentation, I've noticed the MDR-1R responds very well to EQ, so I was able to get rid of that nasty, nasty midbass. After tweaking that and making a few other minor changes, I was finally able to land on a signature that sounded shockingly good. Just to keep my mind and ears in check, I whipped out my trusty PX100-II to compare. Unfortunately for my beloved PX100-II, it wasn't up to the challenge, and simply didn't sound as good as my newly tweaked MDR-1R. I had a very similar incidence with the MA900 and PX100-II awhile back, making this Sony's second time to actually take down my tried-and-tested PX100-II.

After that event, I retrieved the Momentum for a re-comparison (after the Momentum had swept it SQ wise the days before). And guess what? Momentum can't hold up to it either. At least in my opinion. Momentum is significantly more "lazy" sounding, and doesn't sound as authentic or visceral as the MDR-1R. With the MDR-1R's bass now controlled, the Momentum's bass now had the short end of the stick, and sounded a bit loose. Plus, the MDR-1R already had the soundstage advantage from the start, and gave a better presentation all-around. While I didn't EQ the Momentum, I found it didn't need it anywhere near as much as the MDR-1R did.

Hmm, I may actually keep a headphone over $50 for once...

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,663 of 2,773
Measurements of stock MDR-1R and one with bass ports closed with masking tape.

Source http://personalaudio.ru/detail/naushniki_sony_1r_i_1rbt/
The article also suggests a possibility of reducing resonance by damping ear cups, I've just completed full MarkL mod on AH-D5000 that transformed them from barely acceptable to very, very competitive cans. Not sure if there is enough room in Sonys ear cup for Dynamat. But again, in difference from D5000 I like them as is, not sure I would go for it but at least some ideas for others.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,664 of 2,773
Got to hear these again yesterday... they really strike me as having one of most laid-back sound I've heard from a portable headphone. And I don't meant laid-back as bass-heavy or treble-shy but rather a very relaxed sound signature, with a well integrated and smooth treble. It sounds a bit like a refined version of my CD900ST. However I can't get used to the soundstage, it just sounds empty to me, I can't get involved into the music... I think it's the perfect headphone for chilling out.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #1,665 of 2,773
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has compared the MDR-1R to the Yamaha PRO 500?  When I auditioned the MDR-1R, I liked the forwardness of the mids, but was disappointed in the detail- if Sony is going to put their mids under a microscope by making them so forward, IMO they missed a big opportunity to make them detail monsters.  Also, I was disappointed in their bass as I prefer the M-100.  The Yamaha PRO 500 has a few nice reviews as well as some impressions on their thread that speak to excellent bass performance and a high level of midrange detail which would address my two biggest concerns with the MDR-1R.

I find Sony MDR 1R to be a very detailed headphone,everything sounds clear and well defined to my ears.All the sounds,from instruments to voices etc,have good detail and start and fade very smoothly and naturally,at least that's how I find them.I believe that the lack of detail you heard,was due to the smooth,non emphasized higher frequensies.But the detail is on high level.Detail is not only in the higher frequensies,although you can get the impression of a clearer and airier sound if treble is a bit more emphasized.

In my opinion and to my own ears,the MDR 1R are very nice headphones for lower volume listening at a quiet place,for example,I'm really enjoying listening to them at bed before sleeping at night.
The smooth,grain free but also detailed sound,along with the really nice imaging depth and position of sounds,makes low volume listening quite attractive and somewhat magical.Also,when listening at lower volumes,I don't find the slightly colored/empasized mids to be fatiguing,as it happens to me when listening to higher volumes sometimes.I would go as far as to say that maybe this kind of midrange also helps sound to be lush and sweet when listening to low volumes,and it helps creating a nice atmosphere.

My only problem now is that in higher volumes,I sometimes don't like the midrange so much,and I prefer shure srh 840 when I want to listen to music in higher volumes.And that is a bit of problem if I want to take them outside in noisy places.But keep in my mind that it may be just me,and someone else may be ok with their sound in higher volume listening,because everybody's hearing is not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back