Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,171 of 2,773
I seems to disagree with the general consensus that the Sennheiser Momentum have the edge on sound.

I prefer the sound signature of the Sony with the more involving mids and crisp treble, the 1R does have a edge on soundstage over the Momentum to my ears too. Then the build and comfort, where I simply found the Momentum painful to wear after 15 minutes due to lack of padding on the top of the headband.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #1,172 of 2,773
Well, finally tried them out of Sony Walkman NWZ-X.
Sound very good considering the application but nowhere near what I get out of them on my stationary rig: Chord DAC64; HeadAmp GS-1. Less details, bass is not as tight. But that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and not really a headphones fault.
tongue.gif

So they have great potential and scale extremely well with the right setup.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,173 of 2,773
Quote:
I seems to disagree with the general consensus that the Sennheiser Momentum have the edge on sound.

I prefer the sound signature of the Sony with the more involving mids and crisp treble, the 1R does have a edge on soundstage over the Momentum to my ears too. Then the build and comfort, where I simply found the Momentum painful to wear after 15 minutes due to lack of padding on the top of the headband.

Is that a general consensus, based on what I've read in this thread, it's the opposite?

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,174 of 2,773
From what I read while both are very well received, the Senny seems to have the edge.

Also, what you said about scaling, it really does scale well. It sounds excellent on my home setup, it doesn't sounds sub-par to the more expensive open backs but of course do lack in many ways. Considering the price, it is doing a stellar job of what my open back can't do. Slight isolation from the sometimes noisy student dorm.

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,175 of 2,773
Roma,

Do you like the 1Rs better than the DT1350s and the Z1000s? They're pretty much in the same price range and from what I've read about them, they should sound kinda similar to the 1R.

They don't really sound similar to the 1R despite being in the same price range. It honestly depends on personal preference. Here are my impressions:

Now this is from memory - while the Z1000 was/is generally well-received (it is a very good can) it just didn't suit me personally. It is detailed across the spectrum, on the slightly warm side of neutral, but my main issues with them were that it had some peaky treble and not enough bass impact. Coming from using the HD25 daily in portable use (on the train and loud environments) it just didn't have the right sound sig for me. At home I appreciate them much more, for the commute not so much. They have very nice mids though.

The DT 1350 - this is a can I bought, sold, and recently reacquired because I missed its unique, neutral, high end portable sound sig. It's a pretty flat headphone, very very detailed, DEEP and detailed bass and nice unfatiguing highs. They isolate so well for portable use so I didn't mind the lack of bass punch in comparison to something like the HD25. I'm not saying they lack bass impact because they're fine in that aspect but they're very neutral overall. The mids are amazing though - very lifelike vocals.

In comparison to the 1R they're a different flavor for sure. The 1R to my ears are more full-bodied while the DT 1350 is leaner. The 1R is a little more warm and musical to my ears. They're just a bit more fun to listen to. I find the 1Rs to be very detailed as well and the soundstage is a nice relief after using on-ear portables for so long. Imaging is great as well. The bass is detailed with good impact but may not be as seamlessly detailed as the DT 1350. The mids are beautiful and slightly warmer and the treble is crispy and sparkly without being strident to my ears. I've been on the hunt for a portable circumaural for longer than I've been on HF and I was really not expecting to like these as much but I think these might be keepers.

I would suggest auditioning these cans for yourself if you have the chance. I personally love the DT 1350 and 1R for both their strengths and signatures. The can that sounds more natural and musical to me is the 1R but I don't think I will let go of the 1350 for its detail and great deep bass detail. Both are great cans.

Anyway, these impressions are just due to my preferences so take them with a grain of salt. Hope you get to try them all out and hope this helps.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,176 of 2,773
Quote:
They don't really sound similar to the 1R despite being in the same price range. It honestly depends on personal preference. Here are my impressions:
Now this is from memory - while the Z1000 was/is generally well-received (it is a very good can) it just didn't suit me personally. It is detailed across the spectrum, on the slightly warm side of neutral, but my main issues with them were that it had some peaky treble and not enough bass impact. Coming from using the HD25 daily in portable use (on the train and loud environments) it just didn't have the right sound sig for me. At home I appreciate them much more, for the commute not so much. They have very nice mids though.
The DT 1350 - this is a can I bought, sold, and recently reacquired because I missed its unique, neutral, high end portable sound sig. It's a pretty flat headphone, very very detailed, DEEP and detailed bass and nice unfatiguing highs. They isolate so well for portable use so I didn't mind the lack of bass punch in comparison to something like the HD25. I'm not saying they lack bass impact because they're fine in that aspect but they're very neutral overall. The mids are amazing though - very lifelike vocals.
In comparison to the 1R they're a different flavor for sure. The 1R to my ears are more full-bodied while the DT 1350 is leaner. The 1R is a little more warm and musical to my ears. They're just a bit more fun to listen to. I find the 1Rs to be very detailed as well and the soundstage is a nice relief after using on-ear portables for so long. Imaging is great as well. The bass is detailed with good impact but may not be as seamlessly detailed as the DT 1350. The mids are beautiful and slightly warmer and the treble is crispy and sparkly without being strident to my ears. I've been on the hunt for a portable circumaural for longer than I've been on HF and I was really not expecting to like these as much but I think these might be keepers.
I would suggest auditioning these cans for yourself if you have the chance. I personally love the DT 1350 and 1R for both their strengths and signatures. The can that sounds more natural and musical to me is the 1R but I don't think I will let go of the 1350 for its detail and great deep bass detail. Both are great cans.
Anyway, these impressions are just due to my preferences so take them with a grain of salt. Hope you get to try them all out and hope this helps.

Thank you for the detailed answer -- much more than I expected. Greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I guess what I meant by similar is that I've heard all of them have fantastic mids and great reproduction of vocals, which is my number one priority. From what you wrote, that seems true. I just sprung for a pair of the Z1000s and I doubt I'll ever buy the DT1350s due to its supra-aural design, but the two Sonys seem like good fits, so hopefully one of those two will be what I'm looking for.

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #1,178 of 2,773
Quote:
force it, no kidding! kidding aside, although im not really kidding when i said "force it", you need to hold the frame inside the pads then pull on one side, once it is removed from its "lock", other "locks" will just come off just fine.

thanks for the encouragement, finally i can took off the pad :D

before i was afraid that i would break the frame if i pull too hard.

oh btw recently there's a comment on how the cable with mic sound different from the plain one, one of my friend already tried it and he also admit that the sound is slightly different as well.

but in my own opinion it's just because the plain cable was already had enough burn in while the mic one still newly used.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #1,179 of 2,773
As someone who was using the in-line mic cable exclusively and was rather content, I just tried the plain cable today.  A brief A/B had me feeling that the treble opened up a bit more with the fresh plain cable. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,180 of 2,773
Quote:
As someone who was using the in-line mic cable exclusively and was rather content, I just tried the plain cable today.  A brief A/B had me feeling that the treble opened up a bit more with the fresh plain cable. 

I felt pretty much the same with mic cable.
Quote:
Don't know, may be out of walkman. Out of stationary rig it just sounds slightly more muffled with rolled off top.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,181 of 2,773
It seems there is quite a few users have problem with the rattling jack/plug where the cable connecting to the ear cup. I have found a rather quick and easy fix that doesn't cost anything. Involves minuscule amount of blu-tack.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,182 of 2,773
Just tried the MDR-1R. Wow, so good for Hip-Hop, not so good for not so well recorded psychedelic music though... But for Hip-Hop its amazing. I also thought the regular MDR-1R sounded better than the MDR-1NC. Also, the comfort on the 1R was outstanding. The 1NC was heavier but still comfortable. Overall if I had to choose one to buy it would most definitely be the 1R

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #1,183 of 2,773
For anyone finding bass too much for their liking, try partially taping bass ports with something like masking tape. The transformation is quite astonishing. Guess something like foam plugs should work perfectly as longer term, easily removable solution (voila - adjustable bass
L3000.gif
)

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #1,184 of 2,773
Quote:
It seems there is quite a few users have problem with the rattling jack/plug where the cable connecting to the ear cup. I have found a rather quick and easy fix that doesn't cost anything. Involves minuscule amount of blu-tack.

i just notice this problem on my second day spending with the 1R, first i though my unit was defective but once i tried several 1R it have the same structure.

do you just tape the blu-tack on the connection between plug-jack?

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #1,185 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:

i just notice this problem on my second day spending with the 1R, first i though my unit was defective but once i tried several 1R it have the same structure.

do you just tape the blu-tack on the connection between plug-jack?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640127/sony-mdr-1r-mdr-1rnc-fix-for-jack-rattle

I posted a step by step as it seems rather useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back