Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,156 of 2,773
In a fit of madness I also just got a pair of Momentums with the idea of keeping either the Senns or Sonys when they arrive...

All I want is a compact portable circumaural with an iPhone remote that I like. Is that so much to ask? (yes)

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,157 of 2,773
*double post*

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #1,158 of 2,773
did you guys know that using the cable with ipod controls sounds flatter than the one without? maybe its due to the resistors inside the remote control. more flatter, meaning it has alot less bass than the one without cable. more "balanced sounding"

not sure with other devices though, i only tried it with my walkman F through headphone out.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #1,159 of 2,773
Quote:
did you guys know that using the cable with ipod controls sounds flatter than the one without? maybe its due to the resistors inside the remote control. more flatter, meaning it has alot less bass than the one without cable. more "balanced sounding"

not sure with other devices though, i only tried it with my walkman F through headphone out.

Maybe what you say is true.

I did it,and I think the sound is better now.

I need to test it a bit more though.

If it's really the case,then it's strange,because the one without the remote should be the better cable.

The one with the remote says Thailand in the plug,and the one without the remote says China. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,160 of 2,773
In a fit of madness I also just got a pair of Momentums with the idea of keeping either the Senns or Sonys when they arrive...
All I want is a compact portable circumaural with an iPhone remote that I like. Is that so much to ask? (yes)

Haha I'm totally with you on trying to find a portable circumaural. I am loving the 1Rs but now with so many portables on the market I'm very curious to try some others (M4U2, M-100, Momentum etc.) but I just don't have the funds atm. Please do share your impressions on both cans - I've mostly been interested in how the Momentums compare to the 1R. Thanks in advance! :)

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,161 of 2,773
Quote:
Haha I'm totally with you on trying to find a portable circumaural. I am loving the 1Rs but now with so many portables on the market I'm very curious to try some others (M4U2, M-100, Momentum etc.) but I just don't have the funds atm. Please do share your impressions on both cans - I've mostly been interested in how the Momentums compare to the 1R. Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Roma,

Do you like the 1Rs better than the DT1350s and the Z1000s? They're pretty much in the same price range and from what I've read about them, they should sound kinda similar to the 1R.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,162 of 2,773
Quote:

Don't know, may be out of walkman. Out of stationary rig it just sounds slightly more muffled with rolled off top.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,163 of 2,773
Gosh, these are good!
Bass was a bit flabby out of the box. Overnight high volume pink noise burn in took care of it.
With holographic soundstage portraying ability they really don't sound like closed phones at all, the other closed that could do that was Denon D2000, but they hardly isolate at all and had quite farty bass.
Run them amped from GS-1 or GLite, HUGE step up from AKG-K271S, I mean not even the same league and are sooo comfortable.
biggrin.gif

Now I understand why Jude gave them such a high mark.
Haven't tried out of the portable yet.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,164 of 2,773
I probably shouldn't post more before I get more familiar with their signature.
But my initial take is this.
- The closest I can compare them with is Denon AH-D2000 (that's from memory as I don't own them anymore). Same spacious but more accurate soundstage, sheer amount of bass, but tighter than on Denons. Treble is definitely there but not intruding, falling out of spectrum like on DT880. Mids are very wooden ATH like, very lush and intimate. The signature is very relaxing and "juicy", they don't feel dry or metallic in any way. Not the most neutral but very, very addicting. Mid bass emphasis make them sound more like speakers, almost exactly like desktop speakers from Denon D-M38 micro system only with clearer details. I am sure you can tune the amount of bass to your liking by experimenting with taping bass ports on the top of the cups, but it's almost perfect to my taste and I am far from basshead.
And they have pretty darn good details, not sure how people perceive them as muffled (could be amplification issue, still need to test with DAP), they are not piercing with Beyer like treble cheating but all there, when I ran Chesky Test CD I could hear pretty much same amount of details I can get with HD650. They do sound kind of HD650ish.

Non fatiguing signature and extreme comfort should make them ideal office phones; and big and precise soundstage with a good amount of bass a perfect silent home theater phones.
And they probably have the best styling among all current portables on the market for those get out listening sessions.

EDIT: Don't remember last time I was enjoying Ott's Blumenkraft that much.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,165 of 2,773
I've had my MDR-1R's for a bout a week now and am really enjoying them.  I sent my Beyer t70p's back after comparing the two; the MDR-1R has better bass and the highs aren't fatiguing like the beyer's and the comfort is best I've ever had on my head. 

I have a question on amplification.  I am currently using them with my JDS Labs C421 and will eventually be getting the Cypher Labs Alogrhythm Solo -R.  I know where I can get a TTVJ Slim (which I kinda always wanted, but since it was no longer available I settled on the C421 based on Headfonia reviews)  I like the C421, but am wondering if it is worth the upgrade to the TTVJ Slim or possibly the Alo Audio Rx MKII (since it pairs well, size wise, with the Algorythm Solo)?

Anyone with any experience with any of these amps with the MDR-1R's?

Thanks.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #1,166 of 2,773
I have went ahead and ordered another pair of these headphones since a few of the recently posted impressions sound nothing like what I heard with my first pair. I can only assume that they were somehow defective. Though I must say, these headphones are among the most comfortable I have ever worn.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #1,167 of 2,773
Dec 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #1,168 of 2,773
I'm excited to compare the Momentum's to the MDR-1R's. The Sennheiser's are really impressive.

I actually ordered a XB800 with the MDR-1R just for laughs too. That and I like the industrial design. 

I started up a comparison thread in anticipation, with notes on the TMA-1, M50 and Z1000 so far.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639948/review-closed-portable-circumaural-shooting-gallery-m50-z1000-tma-1-studio#post_8933077

Is your 1R black or silver? I really like the styling on the silver version, but they are not available in the NA market unfortunately. We get the short end of the stick this time :frowning2:

To everyone, is the silver version available by importing only at this point? I'm interested in giving these a try but the hideous black one is a no-go.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,169 of 2,773
Quote:
Is your 1R black or silver? I really like the styling on the silver version, but they are not available in the NA market unfortunately. We get the short end of the stick this time
frown.gif

To everyone, is the silver version available by importing only at this point? I'm interested in giving these a try but the hideous black one is a no-go.

Hideous? Man, you lack style. j/k

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,170 of 2,773
Quote:
Is your 1R black or silver? I really like the styling on the silver version, but they are not available in the NA market unfortunately. We get the short end of the stick this time
frown.gif

I ordered the silver; Sony Australia offers both. I've seen both colours now, they both have their charms. The silver version looks more classic, but the flip side is that the faux metal and leather finish makes you wish it actually WAS made of premium materials like the Z1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back