Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 9, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #1,186 of 2,773
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640127/sony-mdr-1r-mdr-1rnc-fix-for-jack-rattle

I posted a step by step as it seems rather useful.

The Z1000 has a really nice screw on connector; this seems like yet another oversight. *sigh*

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #1,188 of 2,773
Once again, I am trying to find some sensibly-priced closed cans for use at home, when the use of my open HE-500s or HD600s is not practical (i.e. when my wife is watching television, or in summer when the air conditioning is running at full blast).

The cans will generally be used on the end of an Opera Consonance Cyber 20 or an O2 (Epiphany), but it would be good if they could also be used with the Little Dot Mk. III OTL amp (which I use in a secondary system in the study). Musical genres are Classical, Opera (both Western and Chinese) and Jazz. Key requirements are:

- Open, detailed sound with good treble resolution
- Wide, "airy" soundstage
- Controlled bass (no "bloat")
- Speed and attack

Portability is not important - they will not be used OTG. They must be circumaural and offer decent isolation.

I currently have a number of closed cans, but am not really happy with any of them:

- Sennheiser HD25-I: good for portable use, plenty of attack and detail, but grainy treble and no sounstage whatsoever
- Fischer FA-002w: better than the HD25s, some soundstage width, but confused, compressed and "shouty" in complex orchestral tutti, sub-optimal isolation
- Denon AH-D1001: too little treble, too much bass, poor isolation (but very comfortable)

Consequently, I have shortlisted the following options (up to a street price of about GBP200 in China or the UK):

- Sony MDR-1 R
- Audio Technica ATH-A900X
- Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm
- AKG K 550

The Sennheiser Momentum will be over budget (and probably too "warmly"-balanced). Whilst the Denon AH-D2000 is still readily available here in China, I don't think I will like it (too much boomy bass, like the AH-D1001 I am about to sell....).

Do you think the MDR-1Rs are the best option? Any advice or further suggestions?

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #1,189 of 2,773
Hello 
it's just me who think that those headphones don't play well? I tryined them at friends store (Sony center) , because he can get me MDR-1R for 170 dollars. They where so good looking and so comfortable but... it sounds wierd, like wehn you turn down treble for 20% on home audio systeam or i maby like when you are far away from speakers on live concert. I like rock and i didn't enjoyed guitars on MDRs i must say. I am not audiophile but i am not deaf and i realy don't understand what you guys see on thouse Sonys. Sorry for my bad english.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,190 of 2,773
Quote:
Hello 
it's just me who think that those headphones don't play well? I tryined them at friends store (Sony center) , because he can get me MDR-1R for 170 dollars. They where so good looking and so comfortable but... it sounds wierd, like wehn you turn down treble for 20% on home audio systeam or i maby like when you are far away from speakers on live concert. I like rock and i didn't enjoyed guitars on MDRs i must say. I am not audiophile but i am not deaf and i realy don't understand what you guys see on thouse Sonys. Sorry for my bad english.

well everyone hear differently and have different taste as well, so it's normal if you comment like that :D

as myself, i already like them as they are :D

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,191 of 2,773
Yea thats true, everybody is different. i would like them more sharp, more aggressive and more loudly sounding :D but thats me. You could mabey recommend me some headphones :) i am looking for something around 300 for outside use.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,192 of 2,773
Quote:
Yea thats true, everybody is different. i would like them more sharp, more aggressive and more loudly sounding :D but thats me. You could mabey recommend me some headphones :) i am looking for something around 300 for outside use.

Ultrasones are the ones with aggressive, sharp sound. But if you are seeking for recommendation outside MDR-1R, I suggest starting your own thread.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,193 of 2,773
Interesting. So it seems the Mic'd cable has a different sound to the non mic'd cable that was included in my box.  I have been using my non mic'd cable this whole time and I just tried the mic'd version..Less bass, a bit tighter on the sound actually.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,194 of 2,773
Quote:
Interesting. So it seems the Mic'd cable has a different sound to the non mic'd cable that was included in my box.  I have been using my non mic'd cable this whole time and I just tried the mic'd version..Less bass, a bit tighter on the sound actually.

I also found the mic cable to have a somewhat different sound,maybe a bit less warm/coloured,and very slightly airier,with the mids being very slightly hollow/reverb like,I'm not really sure,if it's better though.I found that the mic cable had a negative effect in imaging and depth of the soundstage too,in my case.Maybe it's burn in,because I've also been using the non mic cable from the start.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,195 of 2,773
I found the Sony really scale far with a more powerful amp. I found the treble nearly harsh on some song with my portable amp, but everything is far more controlled on my home amp. I haven't tried it unamped but I would think this headphone really does take the benefit of a more detailed, powerful system.

Sometimes volume is not the only factor of amping, controlling the driver well is another one too IMO.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,197 of 2,773
Quote:

get a used z1000 or something. or a grado if you want open headphone

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,198 of 2,773
Quote:

Maybe what you say is true.

I did it,and I think the sound is better now.

I need to test it a bit more though.

If it's really the case,then it's strange,because the one without the remote should be the better cable.

The one with the remote says Thailand in the plug,and the one without the remote says China. 
rolleyes.gif

resistor inside the mic or volume control is what it made changes to its sound.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,199 of 2,773
Quote:
Hello 

Remember it takes time to get used to anything. It's like a new pair of glasses. People usually do demos of about 30 mins on different tracks, to get a real feel for the sound. It really is a feely touchy sorta thing. There's lots of headphones I've hated at first which I grew to love, and vice versa.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #1,200 of 2,773
Quote:

Remember it takes time to get used to anything. It's like a new pair of glasses. People usually do demos of about 30 mins on different tracks, to get a real feel for the sound. It really is a feely touchy sorta thing. There's lots of headphones I've hated at first which I grew to love, and vice versa.

Thats why I don't usually count auditions into whether im going to buy the headphone. Only a bit. I dont think I would want to stand in the Sony Store hogging the headphones for 30+ minutes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back