Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Oct 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #526 of 2,773
I really don't need another set of closed portable headphones.  My DT 1350s are great, pretty much the pinnacle of what I wanted out of portables.  However I can't help wanting these based on the feedback they're getting.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #527 of 2,773
Quote:

I know, I'm not certain why. I should drop a mail to their engineer to ask. But there's more electronics in the 1RBT naturally than the 1R, and not just the BT portion but also the DSEE stuff. So when it's corded we're assuming that it bypasses all that. The other thing is that at least to my ears, the padding on the 1RBT feels somewhat more padded than the 1R. Design-wise there are differences (woops! I forgot to put up pix of the 1RBT...later) and I do know that something simple like the padding can cause sonic changes. Similarly the porting/venting are in different positions too.

i.e. there are lots of variables in play that may cause the signatures to be slightly different.

IMHO, yes somewhat since I do believe the DSEE is being bypassed (despite what I said above, the operative above being "all" as bolded).

The BT model is really really appealing, thanks for the impressions!
Still, I don't get how the circuitry for BT, NFC, and all that DSEE stuff inside the headphones only adds 100 USD while the NC circuitry alone adds 200 USD! 

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #528 of 2,773
Any update on Mad Dog vs. MDR-1R?

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #529 of 2,773
Quote:
The BT model is really really appealing, thanks for the impressions!
Still, I don't get how the circuitry for BT, NFC, and all that DSEE stuff inside the headphones only adds 100 USD while the NC circuitry alone adds 200 USD! 

Note that the NC version also has DSEE as well. But you're right, they should have made the NC 'high end' version a BT+NFC version as well. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #531 of 2,773
So I called the US Sony.com number and I get a rep who has no idea that there is a silver version of the MDR-1R at all. Nice. Well it seems the only way to get a silver version is ebay. But there is no way I am gonna pay an extra $100 for a silver pair.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #533 of 2,773
Quote:
Note that the NC version also has DSEE as well. But you're right, they should have made the NC 'high end' version a BT+NFC version as well. 

And double up on the circuitry?

That could mean big time compromise.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #536 of 2,773
LOL Sony called me to tell me they sent me the wrong color and wanted to know if I wanted to send them back to get the black ones. I informed them I was very happy with the silver pair, and thanked them very much. From the sounds of it I got very lucky.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #537 of 2,773
Quote:
LOL Sony called me to tell me they sent me the wrong color and wanted to know if I wanted to send them back to get the black ones. I informed them I was very happy with the silver pair, and thanked them very much. From the sounds of it I got very lucky.

STILL HATING YOU!!! LOL

So... how are you liking them compared against the SRH940s?!? (which I loved, except for the lack of bass...)

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #538 of 2,773
Unfortunately my 940 are out for repair so you have to wait for that comparison.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #539 of 2,773
Ok just did some quick A/B testing between the SRH-1440 and 1R and it was a bit eye opening.

The 1440 has a definite edge in the treble area for detail and I prefer the 1440's cymbal reproduction just a bit. The 1R has a slight bell like quality at times versus the sizzle of the 1440.

The mids of the 1R are warmer and slightly lusher sounding than the 1440. Which is better is completely subjective as they both have great detail. Note also I said warmer NOT darker.

The bass of the 1R is definitely fuller and better for modern music.

The 1440 has a larger sound stage but the 1R is no slouch. Instrument placement sounds similar on both.

If your music doesn't require lots of subbass the 1440 is no slouch and may be a better headphone if you don't require isolation and want a dryer midrange and want that little bit extra in the treble range. But if you found the 1440 and likely 940 to be a bit to bright and dry or fatiguing I think he 1R is an excellent alternative.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #540 of 2,773
Quote:
Ok just did some quick A/B testing between the SRH-1440 and 1R and it was a bit eye opening.
The 1440 has a definite edge in the treble area for detail and I prefer the 1440's cymbal reproduction just a bit. The 1R has a slight bell like quality at times versus the sizzle of the 1440.
The mids of the 1R are warmer and slightly lusher sounding than the 1440. Which is better is completely subjective as they both have great detail. Note also I said warmer NOT darker.
The bass of the 1R is definitely fuller and better for modern music.
The 1440 has a larger sound stage but the 1R is no slouch. Instrument placement sounds similar on both.
If your music doesn't require lots of subbass the 1440 is no slouch and may be a better headphone if you don't require isolation and want a dryer midrange and want that little bit extra in the treble range. But if you found the 1440 and likely 940 to be a bit to bright and dry or fatiguing I think he 1R is an excellent alternative.

btw how does it fare with amping?

did it scale pretty well or just no real difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back