Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Oct 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #451 of 2,773
Quote:
Is it possible to turn off "Noise Canceling" in MDR-1rnc?

About: DSEE:
"DSEE, which stands for Digital Sound Enhancement Engine, is a technology developed by Sony, to enhance the sound quality of compressed audio files by restoring high-range sound removed by the compression process"
http://www.sony.com.au/support/faq/318000

How do they restore something that was removed? The information is lost... that's the nature of compressed audio.

Or do they mean restoring dynamic range due to compression (see loudness wars)? I kinda doubt it though, from reading that page.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #452 of 2,773
Quote:
It's still weird that they use two different driver sizes and that they just couldn't make one high-end model. You can get Noise-canceling or Blue-Tooth but not both.

and sony will charge an arm and leg if they do that... maybe?

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #453 of 2,773
Quote:
and sony will charge an arm and leg if they do that... maybe?

People pay over $400 for Beats, I don't see what Sony is afraid of.

Sony has an issue with their headphones, TVs and pcs where they have various product lines that seem to compete with each other with no clear low, mid and high-end offering.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #454 of 2,773
SONY is invaded by severe bureaucratism. Hi-Fi Headphone development group and Noise Cancelling Headphone development group is different and independent. I hear that NC group simply uses 1R resources (design, concept, etc) when they intended to develop a new NC model.

Now, every headphones are overpriced. In 1979, SONY's high-end DR-Z7 has metal diaphragm with vapor-deposited palladium. It costs only $120. The price of SONY headphone have not so changed from that time. Other makers' price of cans increased dramatically.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #455 of 2,773
Quote:
People pay over $400 for Beats, I don't see what Sony is afraid of.

Sony has an issue with their headphones, TVs and pcs where they have various product lines that seem to compete with each other with no clear low, mid and high-end offering.

k

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #456 of 2,773
As I had stated in another thread, I've narrowed down my choices to:

Sony MDR-1NC (Black/Red)
V-Moda M100 (Matte Black)
Logitech UE6000 (Black/Blue)

Has anyone tried all these 3? Which has the best noise isolation? Best comfort? Best soundstage?

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #457 of 2,773
Wop, wrong thread :p Sorry!

wt888usa, I've tried the UE6000. They sound really good (with the NC off), specially for the price. They are really well constructed, the pads are super comfortable but the cups are bigger than average. The only issue I noticed was that the sound cancelling circuit boosts bass way too much; it doesn't degrade the highs that much, but it does overpower the mids by a pretty large margin. The isolation is good, above average and the soundstage is really good, wider than lets say...the Sony V6. The NC is just the icing of the cake IMO.

I'm having a hard time choosing between these and the MDR-1R. The thing is that the only review in the site says they feel fragile, and that's a NO-NO for me, since I'm planning on using them on the go!
Lets wait and see.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #458 of 2,773
They're so bad that she doesn't even wear them on her head:

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #459 of 2,773
One thing is going well for Sony , their 2012 TV range is awesome, you should hear them , the speakers are in the plinth and are very very un tv like in their sq.

I was set on a new samsung TV until i saw them side by side in John Lewis , Samsung have been owned!

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #462 of 2,773
Release in UK? I want the browns if they have sound stage anything like the PFR-V1's. I would LOVE that kind of sound in a closed can. I'm yet to find it though......*awaits huge response telling me of hundreds to try*

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #463 of 2,773
Well my pair looks like it will be delivered today. If so I will post some early impressions tonight :) I hope my excitement and anticipation is warranted. Guess I will find out soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back