Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Sep 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #211 of 2,773
Great photos Jude! I think I might get these...
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #214 of 2,773
No inner layer/dampening to protect the drivers?

Quote:
theres a thin cloth infront of the drivers? or im just seeing it wrong

There is a thin mesh with a pretty open weave in front of the driver. Well, actually, the mesh is in front of what looks and feels like a plastic protective grille that's in front of the driver.

My understanding is that this relatively open mesh was chosen to not get in the way of that measured 80kHz top end.

The protective grille/cage in front of the driver has slats spaced closely enough that I'm not concerned about damaging the driver (at least not any more than I am with most other headphones).

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #215 of 2,773
Does this compare with their Z1000?

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #218 of 2,773
Thanks for the pics Jude. I think I like the Black version more. I too like to know how it compares to the Z1000. I need to get my hands on these. :)

Will the US version get the iPhone remote & straight cable?

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #220 of 2,773
Quote:
OMG!!! Thank you Jude!!!
So this means Sony will sell silver version in the US as well?

I actually don't know that for sure. This one (and some other new Sony products) were brought to my office by Naotaka Tsunoda (from Sony's Tokyo HQ) when he came for a visit a couple of weeks ago (which I'll say more about soon). I'm not sure if the silver MDR-1R or the PHA-1 are coming to the U.S., but I'll post the answer when I find out.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #221 of 2,773
Even if I have to order them from Japan, I WILL HAVE THEM!!! lol

Jude, any initial impressions to tide us over?

Thanks.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #224 of 2,773
Thanks Jude.

As everyone else is requesting, some impressions with the Z1000 in mind would be awesome.  There was a lot I liked about the Z1000... and if Sony managed to keep the ergonomics as good and improve the sonic performance all while decreasing the asking price, I will be thrilled and almost obligated to give these a shot.

One excited consumer right here at the moment.

I'm also curious to get your thoughts on these against the new Senn Momentum.  These will be natural competitors, don't ya think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back