Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Apr 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #2,296 of 2,773
Quote:

The 1R just doesn't have the resolution and refinement that I would expect from Sony for $299.  Maybe I'm spoiled by their older models like the CD900st.

I got to listen to them in a HMV store for around 10 minutes, testing with various genres from my own source, and noticed that even though electronic music sounded great, they didn't perform as well on other genres. The spaciousness/feel just wasn't there.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2,297 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:

The 1R just doesn't have the resolution and refinement that I would expect from Sony for $299.  Maybe I'm spoiled by their older models like the CD900st.

I got to listen to them in a HMV store for around 10 minutes, testing with various genres from my own source, and noticed that even though electronic music sounded great, they didn't perform as well on other genres. The spaciousness/feel just wasn't there.

I agree with these points. I was expecting a higher resolution. The overall soundstage seemed pretty congested for me too.

I still have to wonder why Jude chooses this headphone as his portable reference headphone.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #2,300 of 2,773
What did you go for in the end?

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2,301 of 2,773
I just picked up a pair of these, I must say they are VERY comfortable... WAY more comfortable than my momentums. 

I am also very happy with the sound (for portable use) I have one last pair of headphones to compare them against, some DT1350s. I am guessing I will probably stick with the Sony's based on comfort though...

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2,302 of 2,773
Quote:
The overall soundstage seemed pretty congested for me too.

Give em a clean output and a bit more current than your average smartphone jack and the presentation opens very nicely. out of my Cowon S9 soundstage wasn't lacking in the slightest, and when backed a little with the Obj2 amp it was in fact the opposite. was VERY impressed with the immersive imaging of such a portable design.

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #2,304 of 2,773
Quote:
What's a good cheap amp to power my mdr 1rs?

I use Fiio E11 and it works wonders with the MDR1r.
The C&C BH might be a good option too ...

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #2,305 of 2,773
Quote:
What's a good cheap amp to power my mdr 1rs?

They are purposely made incredibly efficient so you can power them from portable devices without an amp. I do use a E07K in my office, but it's more for my SRH940 than for my 1R.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,306 of 2,773
I found them scale surprisingly well with more powerful amp. Bass tightens with a better amp, sure you can drive them insanely loud from anything but that wasn't the whole point anyway, more of an improvement of quailty in amping instead of quantity.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,308 of 2,773
Quote:
But don't the Momentums have more solid build quality

Well, if I were to pick which ones would break if abused, it would be the Sony's... but as long as you take care of them, they should both last a long time.

For me, the comfort of the Sony more than makes up for the build quality differences... I posted in another thread that I even though my ears are probably about average in size, I cannot get a comfortable fit with the Momentums. I am constantly moving them around on my ears. With the Sony's... my ears do not touch the pads at all...

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,310 of 2,773
Quote:
I just picked up a pair of these, I must say they are VERY comfortable... WAY more comfortable than my momentums. 

Can I get an AMEN?  I think they sound and look better then the momentums as well.   (though sound was very close, i slightly perfer the sony here)  In my book the sony MDR-1R is the most comfortable set of headphones that have ever been placed upon my noggin.  Comfort level is so high, id gladly wear them without even listening to music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back