Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Apr 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,266 of 2,773
Quote:
I don't know, either I spent too much time with MDR-1R before acquiring Momentum, or that Japanese Audito-Technica like mids euphony completely clouded my judging but I just plain hated Momentum in A/B session, I mean they were not even close to be a keepers, even at a big stretch.
This is kind of weird as I like and swallow all kind of presentations, just for the sake of variety, HD800, W5000, LCD-2.2, as long as it tastes good I don't care if the flavor is different.

+1

I'm just shocked people recommend the Momentum. It's grainy with thin mids and huge broadband bass boost that is messy and ugly. I wouldn't even recommend it at $100, let alone $350. The comfort also sucks and that carrying case is a nightmare. It's like Sennheiser purposely wanted to mock us.

This is my OPINION ONLY. So Hush.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #2,269 of 2,773
Hard to compare, since the Momentum won't fit normal sized ears.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #2,270 of 2,773
Quote:
+1

I'm just shocked people recommend the Momentum. It's grainy with thin mids and huge broadband bass boost that is messy and ugly. I wouldn't even recommend it at $100, let alone $350. The comfort also sucks and that carrying case is a nightmare. It's like Sennheiser purposely wanted to mock us.

wink.gif

Agreed! Takes the crown as the biggest disappointment regarding full sized headphones for me. $350 is an absurd price. They don't even sound the part either.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2,272 of 2,773
Quote:
I wish the 1R sounded like the CD900. I love the comfort, good looks and iPhone friendly of the 1R.

You don't like the sound?

TBH it's a pretty big step up from pro700mk2s I had earlier. Overall clarity, punchiness of bass, vocals and instrument seperation is better. Funny thing is I paid less for these than i did for the Audio Technicas :D I love Rakuten.com

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,273 of 2,773
Quote:
+1

wink.gif

I tried out the Momentum's. The actual sound isn't bad at all, and the mids are higher up than say my M-100's are, but overall, they lacked a certain something.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #2,274 of 2,773
Quote:

You don't like the sound?

TBH it's a pretty big step up from pro700mk2s I had earlier. Overall clarity, punchiness of bass, vocals and instrument seperation is better. Funny thing is I paid less for these than i did for the Audio Technicas :D I love Rakuten.com

The 1R just doesn't have the resolution and refinement that I would expect from Sony for $299.  Maybe I'm spoiled by their older models like the CD900st.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #2,275 of 2,773
Quote:

The 1R just doesn't have the resolution and refinement that I would expect from Sony for $299.  Maybe I'm spoiled by their older models like the CD900st.

It's $199 right now and for that money it's a killer deal. For $300 I am still not sure you can find anything of similar SQ that can run unamped from portable. But I do agree, that mid bass bleeding into mids spoils the details, they certainly  should have added some dampening to control the bass better, luckily adding some dynamat to cups takes just 15 minutes and helps tremendously with that shortcoming.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2,276 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:

It's $199 right now and for that money it's a killer deal. For $300 I am still not sure you can find anything of similar SQ that can run unamped from portable. But I do agree, that mid bass bleeding into mids spoils the details, they certainly  should have added some dampening to control the bass better, luckily adding some dynamat to cups takes just 15 minutes and helps tremendously with that shortcoming.

V-MODA M-100 maybe?

My impressions of the MDR-1R from a local Sony Store:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/14025#post_9369615

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #2,277 of 2,773
Just got these tonight. Burned them in for about 30 minutes before listen:

In a word amazing for what they are. I auditioned these extensively, probably over ten times. They have beautiful mids, just the right bass response, goldilocks zone. Great clarity, although resolution is not as high as 7520, and the treble is darker, it's still very smooth. Just enough resolution to enjoy music, much greater than something like the Momentums, probably on par with the HD598, although the tonal balance is completely the opposite.

Smooth is the right word for them. Just very smooth, lush, and great up front Sony vocals with good bass response, very pleasing to listen to. Will not be good analyizing or picking out every detail, but good for listening to pop and casual no fuss listening. Listening to Boys II Men ripped in 24bit 96hetrz Flac, and I have a big smile on my face. Keepers for sure.
Conclusion: Perfect Starbucks/Coffee Bean headphone.
L3000.gif
 Transportable very easy going listening phone.

Edit: in case anyone is wondering the 7520 slaughters the 1R in every aspect I can call performance of sound. I would include specifics but when I say everything. I DO mean everything. It just slaughters the 1R easily in anything you want to name or compare. Initial reports that these were superior are just totally mistaken. I will burn the 1R in for a few more days and see if this changes, but it probably won't. I'm still keeping the 1R as it's still a very good listen when I don't want to hear reference class sound that extracts every last detail in music.

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #2,278 of 2,773
For those MDR1r owners who use either iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch as a source, have you tried the Accudio app from GoldenEars?
I did some tweaks with the use of the custom EQ (Parametric) and would like to ask if you can try the following settings:

Volume Gain: Auto (-7dB)

Frequency          Gain          Bandwidth(Q)
20 Hz                +4 dB              1.95 Oct
30 Hz                +3 dB              1.10 Oct
40 Hz                +1 dB              0.80 Oct
95 Hz                -2 dB               0.50 Oct
450 Hz              +4 dB              0.90 Oct
6000 Hz            +7 dB              0.30 Oct
7000 Hz            +4 dB              0.20 Oct
9000 Hz             -8 dB              0.20 Oct
13000 Hz           +5dB              0.20 Oct

I'm not an expert on Mixing or Audio tech and would really appreciate it if someone competent in this subject matter can provide his input/impression.
So far, I'm quite happy with this setting but just wondering if there's more I can add/change to further improve the sound of the MDR1r to be more like the XBA 3/30 signature: a fun but well balanced sound.

Cheers!

So after a couple of weeks playing around with Accudio Parametric EQ to improve the sound of the MDR1r, I finally reached a satisfying result:
Lesser bass quantity, punchier bass, male vocals now just as good as female's, less darker sound.

For those who installed the Accudio app on their i-devices this is my setting:

Volume Gain: Auto (-5dB)

Frequency          Gain          Bandwidth(Q)

20 Hz                +5 dB              0.50 Oct

100 Hz               -3 dB              1.00 Oct

200 Hz               -5 dB              0.60 Oct

1350 Hz             -5 dB               0.80 Oct

5000 Hz             +5 dB              0.70 Oct

11000 Hz           +5 dB              0.10 Oct

Now all I need is some Dynamat and I can die a happy man :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #2,279 of 2,773
Just got these tonight. Burned them in for about 30 minutes before listen:

In a word amazing for what they are. I auditioned these extensively, probably over ten times. They have beautiful mids, just the right bass response, goldilocks zone. Great clarity, although resolution is not as high as 7520, and the treble is darker, it's still very smooth. Just enough resolution to enjoy music, much greater than something like the Momentums, probably on par with the HD598, although the tonal balance is completely the opposite.

Smooth is the right word for them. Just very smooth, lush, and great up front Sony vocals with good bass response, very pleasing to listen to. Will not be good analyizing or picking out every detail, but good for listening to pop and casual no fuss listening. Listening to Boys II Men ripped in 24bit 96hetrz Flac, and I have a big smile on my face. Keepers for sure.
Conclusion: Perfect Starbucks/Coffee Bean headphone. :L3000:  Transportable very easy going listening phone.

Edit: in case anyone is wondering the 7520 slaughters the 1R in every aspect I can call performance of sound. I would include specifics but when I say everything. I DO mean everything. It just slaughters the 1R easily in anything you want to name or compare. Initial reports that these were superior are just totally mistaken. I will burn the 1R in for a few more days and see if this changes, but it probably won't. I'm still keeping the 1R as it's still a very good listen when I don't want to hear reference class sound that extracts every last detail in music.

I'm really excited to hear more comparisons against the 7520. Will be waiting for them as you get more playing time with your 1R.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,280 of 2,773
I posted a review between the Momentum and the 1R quite some time ago. I don't agree EITHER being plain better than one or the other in the sound department. They are very different in their own way, and it all boils down the personal perferences. However the isolation on the Momentum is just superior to the 1R, in that sense if you are doing quite a bit of listening in louder area, the Momentum have the edge. The poor isolation seems to put some off on the 1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back