Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Nov 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,636 of 1,768

Discard my previous post. :)  I managed to take it off. It has clips on both sides and many small plastic pins around. The plastic parts are glued onto earpad so it is definitely proprietary Shxt. I wonder if it is easy to get replacement pad (I have strong doubt since this headphone is now discontinued as far as I understand). If not, life span of this headphone will be bad.... I do not understand why Sony made earpad proprietary and cannot be replaced easily.It is just DUMB..

Many manufacturers do this as well. I suspect it has something to do with bass leakage.

Thank you for your response. In my opinion, it is just bad practice.. there are many headphones have awesome tight bass but typical removable pleather/leather pads that can be easily replaced. Not sure it is must be done this propritary shxt way.  Besides that, I like the comfort and sound of MDR100aap. Leakage is just below average in my opinion. Bass is not too strong for me and mid is a bit placed a bit distant and treble is rolled off a bit too early but overall not bad at all. I purchased this for watching movie and listening music while doing some house chores and it is good for the purpose. I am not sure Hi Res crap. I do not hear any Hi Res quality sound out of this headphone ...

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,637 of 1,768
150$ at Best Buy in Canada

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-h-ear-on-ear-high-resolution-headphones-blue-mdr100aapl/10392570.aspx?lang=en-CA&pcname=&sku=10392570&path=a52597d67131b82e1bd7092a6702aab6en02

Edit: The Source also has them for 150, but they don't seem to have them in store.

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #1,638 of 1,768
Can anyone confirm whether a regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable would work? Some comment on Amazon says that the warranty is only 3 months for the cable and that it is $100 to get an replacement.
eek.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #1,640 of 1,768
hundreds of hours on mine now using them as my primary for work, skypes/zooms, walking around. They are really great duty cans.

I've compared them to akg k181s and ath-m50s and they just blow them away in terms of clarity and quality.

That said the cans have a few weaknesses I would like to improve: soundstage and signature.

I've found the signature to slightly fatiguing when compared to cans like the DT770/990, AKG or ATH which I consider to have a more analog presentation.  How can I balance these guys out? Warm them up? Maybe the cans are packed too tight? Maybe they need wood cups. I think the drivers have alot of potential. 

To date they have been the most useful and functional cans with this much sound quality and I'm quite fond of them.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,641 of 1,768
After 150 hours burn in, I am quite surprised  that I prefer Sony MDR100aap to Beyer DT1350 after applying mod. I applied playdoh inside the cup to fill the gap and applied surgical tape to cover it. It will make the cup quite heavier but after a couple of days, it gets lighter since playdoh dries a bit. After the mod, the mid comes out without sacrificing bass quantity (low & mid bass still there).

If playdoh is not your thing, surgical tape might do the trick too. Got the idea from watching this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYiOLEw1ocw

If anyone can do the mod and share the finding, it would be great.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #1,642 of 1,768
After 150 hours burn in, I am quite surprised  that I prefer Sony MDR100aap to Beyer DT1350 after applying mod. I applied playdoh inside the cup to fill the gap and applied surgical tape to cover it. It will make the cup quite heavier but after a couple of days, it gets lighter since playdoh dries a bit. After the mod, the mid comes out without sacrificing bass quantity (low & mid bass still there).

If playdoh is not your thing, surgical tape might do the trick too. Got the idea from watching this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYiOLEw1ocw

Interesting! I may check out that mod.

My guess is that you find them just a wee bit more comfortable than the 1350's as well!

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #1,644 of 1,768

I'm not surprised. I've been telling people that MDR100AP is a gem. I don't know when it was released, but it's definitely the top 3 products of the year. Especially at the discounted price it's being sold now.

YES, comfort wise, MDR100aap is miles better. It is one of the most comfortable closed back full sized headphone that I ever tried.   

I have a DT1770, and MDR100AP is more comfortable. It's also more comfortable than Bose QC25 which is the industry standard for comfort for portable headphone. The only headphone i can imagine being more comfortable is probably the MDRZ7 or something else from Sony.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,648 of 1,768
Just got meself a pair of these at a great price. So far quite pleased overall.comfortable stylish and generally nice if polite sounding. I do find them a bit bassy and warm sounding for my tastes however, more so than their little but older brother the MDR10RC. The 100aap is certainly more sensitive though and is easily driven by my Walkman A15.

Do they open up a bit after burn in ?

Or maybe I need to just get used to them

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,650 of 1,768
After reading through a lot of these pages I'm still confused.. Actually more so after reading.. I'm getting these for a price even lower than the audio technica ath m50x, so I'm definitely leaning towards these.
The thing is I'm reading everywhere that these are relaxed and balanced headphones, my earlier pair Sony xb 950bt were really bass centric and I liked that.. What I'm concerned with is would I be able to achieve similar bass levels by using equalizer, I do want clarity and balanced sound, but I also want these to be able to give a punchy bass when I listen to some dubstep, or edms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back