Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Oct 23, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,621 of 1,768

NAD HP50 is a headphone with special tuning. Personally, i like the bump in the lower midrange. It gives vocals body and realism. Very few headphones have that colourization. From memory, the only headphones that does that is probably Nighthawk. 

MDR100AP does not have that. It's thinner in the midrange in comparison and has more bass. It still have a very likeable sound. It's the headphones i use most even though i have better headphones. In comparison to NAD, the Sony has less treble, less warmth but  slightly more bass. Other aspects should not be too far apart.

I personally wouldn't worry too much with NAD build quality. Just use them till they break and get a new one. With the rate of new product release for past few years, by the time your NAD breaks, there might be a new MDR100AP or NAD HP50.

Wow, thanks for the comparison! Your description on the HP50 is pretty much spot on on its highlight! I do listen to mainly vocals and the HP50 is so far the pair I like the most among multiple headphones I tried within the price range.

I usually bring it with me, and it sounds great at quieter places. However, it is hard for me to enjoy its strength at noisier places. At those places, I would wish it had more bass (but only then. I love pretty much every bit it sounded when the ambiance is quiet.) Another thing that bothers me is comfort. The upper edge of my ear would touch the unit when I wear them, and it eventually hurts after about 1.5 to 2 hours. My momentum works better on these two aspects while I'm traveling. I can also wear them for hours. But when I got my destination and wanted to have some intense listening, I felt that I sill prefer the sound of the HP50 quite a bit more than the momentum. But it I had to bring them both while traveling, I guess that defeats the purpose of these being "portables".

I've been looking for a pair of portable headphones that can do a little bit of both, and that's why I came across this pair. It's been a long time since I tried a pair of Sony intensively, and I have to admit reading the comments and hypes on this pair through this thread, it makes me tempted. Although according to your comparison, from the way their sound characteristic is compared to the HP50, I think I'll probably like the HP50 more. I also read that sound isolation on the MDR-100 isn't that great either. I think I'll eventually try to give them a try when I get a chance. 

Thank you very much for your reply!
(And... I do wish NAD would come up with a new HP50 with the way momentum feels on my head and with the same HP50 house sound :) )

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #1,622 of 1,768
How do these compare to the MDR-1As? I got a chance to listen to the 100AAP and was pleasently surprised (was a very fatigue-free headphone) but figured the 1As would just be better across the board.

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #1,623 of 1,768
How do these compare to the MDR-1As? I got a chance to listen to the 100AAP and was pleasently surprised (was a very fatigue-free headphone) but figured the 1As would just be better across the board.

Nope. The 1As are a little more bass bloated so the 100s actually seem to be a bit more refined. Now if you're comparing them to the 1ABT then the latter might edge ahead because they seemed to have even out the bass a little bit. All three are fantastic tho. No matter how you slice it. All about preferred sound.

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,624 of 1,768
Nope. The 1As are a little more bass bloated so the 100s actually seem to be a bit more refined. Now if you're comparing them to the 1ABT then the latter might edge ahead because they seemed to have even out the bass a little bit. All three are fantastic tho. No matter how you slice it. All about preferred sound.

Thanks for the reply! I might have to head back to Best-Buy for an extended listening session and see how they hold up to some more rigorous listening.

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #1,625 of 1,768
  Wow, thanks for the comparison! Your description on the HP50 is pretty much spot on on its highlight! I do listen to mainly vocals and the HP50 is so far the pair I like the most among multiple headphones I tried within the price range.

I usually bring it with me, and it sounds great at quieter places. However, it is hard for me to enjoy its strength at noisier places. At those places, I would wish it had more bass (but only then. I love pretty much every bit it sounded when the ambiance is quiet.) Another thing that bothers me is comfort. The upper edge of my ear would touch the unit when I wear them, and it eventually hurts after about 1.5 to 2 hours. My momentum works better on these two aspects while I'm traveling. I can also wear them for hours. But when I got my destination and wanted to have some intense listening, I felt that I sill prefer the sound of the HP50 quite a bit more than the momentum. But it I had to bring them both while traveling, I guess that defeats the purpose of these being "portables".

I've been looking for a pair of portable headphones that can do a little bit of both, and that's why I came across this pair. It's been a long time since I tried a pair of Sony intensively, and I have to admit reading the comments and hypes on this pair through this thread, it makes me tempted. Although according to your comparison, from the way their sound characteristic is compared to the HP50, I think I'll probably like the HP50 more. I also read that sound isolation on the MDR-100 isn't that great either. I think I'll eventually try to give them a try when I get a chance. 

Thank you very much for your reply!
(And... I do wish NAD would come up with a new HP50 with the way momentum feels on my head and with the same HP50 house sound :) )

HP50 has a large earcup opening. Much larger than momentum v1 & 2. I'm surprised your ears would fit one but not the other. MDR100AP and MDR1A earcup opening is somewhere between the momentums and HP50. The sonys are way more comfortable for me as they have very deep space for the ear. Try to figure out what exactly is the culprit for the discomfort. is the the earcup opening size or the depth? From my experience, even trying the headphones in store won't give an accurate picture of long term comfort as our ears are forgiving to short term discomfort.

Sound isolation on most portable headphones are not great. The sonys are a bit below average in this aspect.

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,626 of 1,768
Hey guys, quick question for anyone who's using the 100aap with the fiio x3ii:
Does the button in line remote work for you with the player?
I can't get it to work, and, unless i disable the remote support, sometimes the player will start skipping songs and starting play on it's own when the 100aap are plugged in.

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,627 of 1,768

HP50 has a large earcup opening. Much larger than momentum v1 & 2. I'm surprised your ears would fit one but not the other. MDR100AP and MDR1A earcup opening is somewhere between the momentums and HP50. The sonys are way more comfortable for me as they have very deep space for the ear. Try to figure out what exactly is the culprit for the discomfort. is the the earcup opening size or the depth? From my experience, even trying the headphones in store won't give an accurate picture of long term comfort as our ears are forgiving to short term discomfort.

Sound isolation on most portable headphones are not great. The sonys are a bit below average in this aspect.

I should have specified the issues I have with the HP50 was due to the depth of the earcup. I agree trying in store doesn't help much, as I had to wear the HP50 for more than on hour to start feeling the pressure. Otherwise it felt pretty comfortable first. My ears are not that large, and fits well with momentum's relatively smaller earcups so the ones on HP50s are wide enough for me but doesn't seem deep enough. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,628 of 1,768
  I should have specified the issues I have with the HP50 was due to the depth of the earcup. I agree trying in store doesn't help much, as I had to wear the HP50 for more than on hour to start feeling the pressure. Otherwise it felt pretty comfortable first. My ears are not that large, and fits well with momentum's relatively smaller earcups so the ones on HP50s are wide enough for me but doesn't seem deep enough. 

If isolation is not a big priority, definitely go for the MDR1A or MDR100AP. MDR1A is more comfortable and better sounding but MDR100AP are having huge sale most places. If isolation is important, there's actually very few options. Maybe Oppo PM3 but those don't have very deep earcups as well. B&W P5 seems comfortable and quite good sounding too. If nothing still works, you have no choice but to go IEM/CIEM route.

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,629 of 1,768

If isolation is not a big priority, definitely go for the MDR1A or MDR100AP. MDR1A is more comfortable and better sounding but MDR100AP are having huge sale most places. If isolation is important, there's actually very few options. Maybe Oppo PM3 but those don't have very deep earcups as well. B&W P5 seems comfortable and quite good sounding too. If nothing still works, you have no choice but to go IEM/CIEM route.

Thank you for being so helpful!

I think I may have tried the MDR-1 (forgot the exact model) a while ago in store, but at the time I preferred the HP50's sound over it. Maybe it wasn't the 1A. I did just ordered a pair of MDR100 and see how much I'll like it. If I didn't like its sound that much, hopefully its comfort can have some offset :) Worst case scenario I can still return them. (I usually avoid doing so if I can as I think it adds on manufacturer's cost. That's why I really wanted to know how they sound like before ordering)

I did own the P5 for a while and found them quite comfortable if I wear them for less than 4 hours straight. They were replaced by the momentum later on. PM3 has always been on my list but it's a little pricey for me to firm up the decision.

Once again, thank you so much for your information. I'll share my thoughts on the MDR-100 soon after they arrive!

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #1,630 of 1,768
Hello. Has anyone tried balanced out mode with MDr100aap? I just placed an order and would like to find out if it is worth pursuing balanced out option with this headphone and make noticeable difference... Anyone can share experience, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,631 of 1,768
That's my current setup, sounds awesome to me but sadly the inline controls do not work.
  Hey guys, quick question for anyone who's using the 100aap with the fiio x3ii:
Does the button in line remote work for you with the player?
I can't get it to work, and, unless i disable the remote support, sometimes the player will start skipping songs and starting play on it's own when the 100aap are plugged in.

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,632 of 1,768
  That's my current setup, sounds awesome to me but sadly the inline controls do not work.

All right, i just wanted to be sure that it's just a compatibility issue, and not some issues with my x3 or the headphones.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #1,633 of 1,768
I just got Sony MDR 100aap and quite like it. I just checked the earpad if they can be removed if earpad wear out in the future. It does not seem to be removable. Does anyone try to remove and earpad and was successful? 

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #1,634 of 1,768
  I just got Sony MDR 100aap and quite like it. I just checked the earpad if they can be removed if earpad wear out in the future. It does not seem to be removable. Does anyone try to remove and earpad and was successful? 

Discard my previous post. :)  I managed to take it off. It has clips on both sides and many small plastic pins around. The plastic parts are glued onto earpad so it is definitely proprietary Shxt. I wonder if it is easy to get replacement pad (I have strong doubt since this headphone is now discontinued as far as I understand). If not, life span of this headphone will be bad.... I do not understand why Sony made earpad proprietary and cannot be replaced easily.It is just DUMB..

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #1,635 of 1,768

Discard my previous post. :)  I managed to take it off. It has clips on both sides and many small plastic pins around. The plastic parts are glued onto earpad so it is definitely proprietary Shxt. I wonder if it is easy to get replacement pad (I have strong doubt since this headphone is now discontinued as far as I understand). If not, life span of this headphone will be bad.... I do not understand why Sony made earpad proprietary and cannot be replaced easily.It is just DUMB..

Many manufacturers do this as well. I suspect it has something to do with bass leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back