Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Sep 25, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #1,607 of 1,768
It's got a very pleasant bass lift and slightly tamed treble. Very fatigue free for hours of listening at a stretch with that sound signature and deep pads that don't touch my ears.

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,608 of 1,768
  so m50x have a better midrange?

Not necessarily - but I do prefer the M50x midrange. The M50x has a recessed lower midrange, so it sounds a tad bit thin, but it puts some emphasis on the upper midrange, so there is a bit of shimmer that emphasizes vocals. The Sony is more forward in the lower midrange, so it has a warmer body to the midrange, but the upper midrange/lower treble just seems to lack clarity or presence. For most songs I tried it was pretty good and rather forgiving, but on songs where there's a lot of instrument separation (like Touch by Daft Punk) I found it struggled a bit.

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,609 of 1,768
Yellow, Orange, Black so far. Purple and Teal to go:smiley::smiley:

As someone who uses portables all the time, this is the most comfortable and easy listening headphone I've come across. After the HD800 this is the next time I've been amazed at a headphone.

The local electronic shop JB Hifi has a sale where you can buy 2 for the price of 1 at MRP of AUD 299 so Aussie headfiers get going. You can buy 1 for $149 too.

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,610 of 1,768
Yellow, Orange, Black so far. Purple and Teal to go:smiley::smiley:

As someone who uses portables all the time, this is the most comfortable and easy listening headphone I've come across. After the HD800 this is the next time I've been amazed at a headphone.

The local electronic shop JB Hifi has a sale where you can buy 2 for the price of 1 at MRP of AUD 299 so Aussie headfiers get going. You can buy 1 for $149 too.

Thats a damn good deal, a steal even.

Do I need a third pair tho? lol. I have pink and black. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,613 of 1,768

I deserve a hug from Kaz Hirai if I do that, lol. 

But seriously, IMO, these headphones **** on the MDR-1R/A, 10RC and many other hadphones SONY made before the 100AAP.

They are different. I prefer the Mdr 1 A, true, bit bass leaking, but the 100 AAP, has his own colorisation too. And bass is not always accurate either. Give me the audio technica MSR 7 any time. Much more natural, with more dynamics, bright not agressive, and very natural bass.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,616 of 1,768
Anyone done a comparison between the 100aap and say the NAD HP50? (if not, the original momentum will be great as well).

I love the sound of the HP50, but just wanted to find something with better, more durable and better looking design and came across this thread. I've been searching for a while but did not find a direct comparison between these and the HP50.

I also have the original momentum but don't use it much other than using it on flights, but if someone can compare them, it can also be a good reference for me!

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #1,617 of 1,768
  Anyone done a comparison between the 100aap and say the NAD HP50?

I have both. Both sound great.  If I could only keep one of the two, for me it would have to be the Sony.  I find the Sony to be far more comfortable.  The pads are more comfortable and the clamp is less.  I cannot handle much clamp at all but it does  not seem to bother some people.  I had to carefully bend the headband on the NAD to make it tolerable.  Because of the way it is wired it is risky to bend it but I had seen a diagram on the NAD page showing how the wires are done so I did it carefully on each side below where the clips are.  I think that loosening the clamp has decreased the bass a bit but I could be imagining that.

I was able to get a really good deal on Ebay for my Sonys a few months ago.  New pink ones.  I really enjoy them.  I can't make a technical comparison like some of the people here.  I can only say that my music sounds great through both the NADs and the Sonys but they do sound very different from each other.  I do enjoy the Sony's more because of the comfort but the "room feel" sound signature of the Nads is quite special and unique.  You need to read more on that thread.  Can you listen to them both before deciding?

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,618 of 1,768
After a quick-ish test at the local store I'd say these have lots in common with MDR-1A - a nice amount of bass-boost for on-the-go (but too much for silent environments, imo) and a nicely done V-signature. The 1A's don't have very good isolation, if I remember correctly, these don't either.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #1,619 of 1,768
I have both. Both sound great.  If I could only keep one of the two, for me it would have to be the Sony.  I find the Sony to be far more comfortable.  The pads are more comfortable and the clamp is less.  I cannot handle much clamp at all but it does  not seem to bother some people.  I had to carefully bend the headband on the NAD to make it tolerable.  Because of the way it is wired it is risky to bend it but I had seen a diagram on the NAD page showing how the wires are done so I did it carefully on each side below where the clips are.  I think that loosening the clamp has decreased the bass a bit but I could be imagining that.

I was able to get a really good deal on Ebay for my Sonys a few months ago.  New pink ones.  I really enjoy them.  I can't make a technical comparison like some of the people here.  I can only say that my music sounds great through both the NADs and the Sonys but they do sound very different from each other.  I do enjoy the Sony's more because of the comfort but the "room feel" sound signature of the Nads is quite special and unique.  You need to read more on that thread.  Can you listen to them both before deciding?

Thanks for your quick response!
I do have the NAD hp50, and like you, I had to adjust the clamping force to make it comfortable for me. I also agree loosening it too much decreases bass, I have had same experience as well. It took me a while to get a balance between the clamping force and the sound. But I still can't wear them for not than 2 hours.

I do like the sound of the hp50 quite a bit but not so much with it's built quality. Mine still looks and feels me but I've been extra gentle with it.

I might be able to try the mdr 100aap if Best Buy have them in store, but I literally just came across this thread today and wanted to see if I can get a filter picture before heading out searching for them :)

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #1,620 of 1,768
Thanks for your quick response!
I do have the NAD hp50, and like you, I had to adjust the clamping force to make it comfortable for me. I also agree loosening it too much decreases bass, I have had same experience as well. It took me a while to get a balance between the clamping force and the sound. But I still can't wear them for not than 2 hours.

I do like the sound of the hp50 quite a bit but not so much with it's built quality. Mine still looks and feels me but I've been extra gentle with it.

I might be able to try the mdr 100aap if Best Buy have them in store, but I literally just came across this thread today and wanted to see if I can get a filter picture before heading out searching for them
smily_headphones1.gif

NAD HP50 is a headphone with special tuning. Personally, i like the bump in the lower midrange. It gives vocals body and realism. Very few headphones have that colourization. From memory, the only headphones that does that is probably Nighthawk. 

MDR100AP does not have that. It's thinner in the midrange in comparison and has more bass. It still have a very likeable sound. It's the headphones i use most even though i have better headphones. In comparison to NAD, the Sony has less treble, less warmth but  slightly more bass. Other aspects should not be too far apart.

I personally wouldn't worry too much with NAD build quality. Just use them till they break and get a new one. With the rate of new product release for past few years, by the time your NAD breaks, there might be a new MDR100AP or NAD HP50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back