Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Sep 22, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #16 of 1,768
  These are now in stock in John Lewis UK, might pick up a pair today!

Nice!!!  
biggrin.gif

If you do get a pair, please let us know what you think of them!  
popcorn.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #18 of 1,768
I will review these in a week or two but initial impressions are very good, i only have my MDR-10rc in with me but the 100aap extends the soundstage by a few meters left and right and adds depth to it as well.
The packaging is lovely,the included carry bag is well padded and shares the same futuristic vibe the cans have.
Comfort is a home run, my rather large ears fit inside without issue and after a couple of mins they disappear pretty well.
I am trying to be objective and not let the 'new toy' syndrome take hold so i am better waiting to provide a more detailed review. 
I will post some new pics tonight.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #23 of 1,768
I will review these in a week or two but initial impressions are very good, i only have my MDR-10rc in with me but the 100aap extends the soundstage by a few meters left and right and adds depth to it as well.
The packaging is lovely,the included carry bag is well padded and shares the same futuristic vibe the cans have.
Comfort is a home run, my rather large ears fit inside without issue and after a couple of mins they disappear pretty well.
I am trying to be objective and not let the 'new toy' syndrome take hold so i am better waiting to provide a more detailed review. 
I will post some new pics tonight.

Hi there. First post on here!

Your initial impressions sound great, definitely something I'm interested in.

I know you're still in the "New toy" phase but was just wondering if you could give your first impressions on the mid-range....also the vocals.
The mdr-1a kind of emphasised the higher end of vocals and sounded like they were a tad lacking at times. A little less natural and full if you know what I mean.

Any assistance or info would be a massive help as Im looking to pick these up in the next couple of days if their an improvement

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #24 of 1,768
I dont have the 1A anymore as i hated the bass on it, i came to it from the 1R and actually found the 10RC to be my favourite sig from the range.
Anyway im pleased to say that the bass has been dialled down a bit from the 1A, its great bass, very tight but doesnt thump or boom the way it could on the 1A.
Mids seem well balanced, cant notice any suckout but i need more time with these.
One thing i will say is that the design is really fantastic, everyone who has seen them today has been very positive ref the look and feel.
I will have a session at home tonight, then i will listen to these....

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #26 of 1,768
  I dont have the 1A anymore as i hated the bass on it
Anyway im pleased to say that the bass has been dialled down a bit from the 1A, its great bass, very tight but doesnt thump or boom the way it could on the 1A.
Mids seem well balanced, cant notice any suckout but i need more time with these.
One thing i will say is that the design is really fantastic, everyone who has seen them today has been very positive ref the look and feel.

AWW  YEAHHH!!!

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 1,768
How  are the highs? Do they compare well against the Audio-Technica MSR7 or are they a level down?

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #28 of 1,768
Never heard msr7 but I can say that the highs are very well extended , they are a little sharp right now on some songs but experience makes me think it will settle, probably the stiff titanium driver at work.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #30 of 1,768
I have a pair of MDR-ZX660AP. They are relatively new Sony headphones. I got them for about $60 Canadian. They are a cheaper headphone that are a good alternative to Beats. I'm seeing similar design in the finish, headband and cable. 

What I'm trying to say is that for $199 they share the same elements as Sony's much cheaper headphones, and it makes me wonder if they are going to be worth the price tag. They look like they should be around the $100 mark.

I also don't trust Sony's branding on headphones. For instance the 660Ap I bought are marketed as being a more neutral balanced headphone. They really are nothing in the least. They are basically like cheap Beats Solo when it comes to sound. I knew what I was getting because I heard them before I bought them, but if I was looking for what was said on the packaging, and bought them before I heard them, I would have been pretty pissed off. 

The marketing for the 100Ap say they are "Hi Res" and suitable for all music genres, but as I mentioned above, Sony's packaging/marketing says one thing and you get something totally different. I'm expecting these to be: 1) Bass heavy, warm, very little detail, or 2) Bass anemic, cold/cardboard/unnatural sounding, and nowhere near as much detail the "Hi Res" branding and stated frequency response would suggest.

The black ones look pretty nice though. Every other colour ends up looking super cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back