Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #32 of 1,768
No definitely not bass heavy, these are very well balanced.
I know i have mentioned it before but the design of these cans is a clear step forward from other current 'fashion' headphones like Beats, it makes them look old fashioned imo.

Interesting page from Sony on the design :

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/design/works/products/h_ear/

This article confirms that the housing is made of anodised aluminium.

Sep 24, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #33 of 1,768
lnuneek Beats are some of the cheapest , creakiest, plasticy cans I have ever owned. These don't look or feel cheap and i was surprised how nice the red and blue looked in person. I would always recommend seeing and listening for yourself.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #35 of 1,768
  That s regretful, since i am a bass head , guess i ll stick to my 1A

The 1A is definitely a excellent bass-head headphone.  But I am so happy to hear (thanks, Astroid) that Sony decided to give, what I'm sure they are hoping will become their most popular mainstream headphone, a more neutral sound signature.

Hopefully this headphone will introduce a lot of new people to just how good a well designed and neutrally balanced headphone can sound, and possibly set the bar for SQ in the Under-$200 category.

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #36 of 1,768
Just a small update, i have been burning these in non stop for 2 days and picked them up this morning and the highs are no longer sharp, in fact i was enjoying them so much this morning i dosed off (beach house's new album is very dreamy)
So in short expect an improvement in coherence after 20 hours, prior to that the treble band was a little excited!  

Here a pic for you driver fans, i cant work out how to remove the pads yet, think they are on some snap in frame.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #37 of 1,768
Interesting....

It looks like the MDR-100AAP's uses the same 
aluminum coating that the 1A and Z7 use on their drivers, but only for the 100AAP's driver's surround.  But instead of aluminum, it uses a titanium coating on its drivers dome, which might actually make it the latest advancement of Sony's headphone driver tech.​

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #38 of 1,768
  Just a small update, i have been burning these in non stop for 2 days and picked them up this morning and the highs are no longer sharp, in fact i was enjoying them so much this morning i dosed off (beach house's new album is very dreamy)
So in short expect an improvement in coherence after 20 hours, prior to that the treble band was a little excited!  

Here a pic for you driver fans, i cant work out how to remove the pads yet, think they are on some snap in frame.

Is it on ear or around ear? Perhaps somewhere in between?

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #39 of 1,768
Is the treble laid back or rolled off by any means and how is the soundstage and instrumental separation? Is the headphone V-shaped or more balanced?

I'm using the M50x right now and really dig it's bold sound signature (I know some who don't like it though) but I'm looking for something with more forward mids and larger soundstage. The MSR7 has forward mids and treble (though I didn't find it sibilant), so I'd think they'd be on a different level than the h.ear on

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #40 of 1,768
Its 100% around ear

quote name="LNuneek" url="/t/779750/sony-h-ear-on-mdr-100aap-199-hi-res-audio-over-ear-headphones/30#post_11944159"]

Is it on ear or around ear? Perhaps somewhere in between?
[/quote]

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #41 of 1,768
The soundstage is pretty good , it extends quite wide and has good depth. imaging is great , very easy to identify where the band are in space.
As for sig , its well balanced no mid suckout , no sibilance and the bass is excellent with a nice warm, well extended output.
As far as the drivers go, the surround is silver and the centre cone I gold coloured to my eye.

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #42 of 1,768
How do these compare to the MF100?

Always interested in those
as I'm a bit of an MF fan having 2 pairs of EB50s

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #43 of 1,768
These are more musical and less clinical than the MF100, the MF is a very good can for critical listening but not great for portable use imo, the 100aap is a great portable can that is good enough to use at home as well.
Hope that makes sense, I prefer the 100aap.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #44 of 1,768
These are more musical and less clinical than the MF100, the MF is a very good can for critical listening but not great for portable use imo, the 100aap is a great portable can that is good enough to use at home as well.
Hope that makes sense, I prefer the 100aap.

Very helpful thanks. The Sony sounds more my cup of tea.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #45 of 1,768
I was about to buy the 1A and stopped as I saw these, but as a treble sensitive guy (had to return the X2) I think these cans are not for me.. still the design is awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back