Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Dec 16, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,201 of 1,768
I enjoyed this Cayin amp when I reviewed it last year.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #1,202 of 1,768
I enjoyed this Cayin amp when I reviewed it last year.

Yup, great amp.

For an even more portable amp that I love that has an 80 hour battery life and increases soundstage (based on a magical switch) check out the C&C BH2 amp

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #1,203 of 1,768
Get a pair of those h.ear on iems then let me know what they sound like :p

I tried them very briefly at a department store but I noticed right away they were too bassy for me and a little congested. They're also quite easy to drive compared with other IEMs.

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,204 of 1,768
I'm really surprised that so many people are saying these sound better than the MDR-1A especially since they are a full $100 less expensive. The MDR-1A were my main headphones, then I went to the Denon's (the one's in my profile picture), but I returned those and I'm back using the MDR-1A's. I have a FiiO X5ii and if these do sound better I'm definitely interested in giving them a listen. The X5ii has been described as a warm sounding player, and these headphones have been described as Sony's brightest sounding headphones, so they might be a good match. 

I know that people say that isolation is a problem, which is unfortunate because I would mainly be using these for my commute and at work. Can anyone compare the isolation to the 1A's? If I am satisfied with the isolation on those, would I also be satisfied with the isolation on the 100AAP?

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #1,205 of 1,768
  I tried them very briefly at a department store but I noticed right away they were too bassy for me and a little congested. They're also quite easy to drive compared with other IEMs.

Congested compared to what?

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,206 of 1,768
  I'm really surprised that so many people are saying these sound better than the MDR-1A especially since they are a full $100 less expensive. The MDR-1A were my main headphones, then I went to the Denon's (the one's in my profile picture), but I returned those and I'm back using the MDR-1A's. I have a FiiO X5ii and if these do sound better I'm definitely interested in giving them a listen. The X5ii has been described as a warm sounding player, and these headphones have been described as Sony's brightest sounding headphones, so they might be a good match. 

I know that people say that isolation is a problem, which is unfortunate because I would mainly be using these for my commute and at work. Can anyone compare the isolation to the 1A's? If I am satisfied with the isolation on those, would I also be satisfied with the isolation on the 100AAP?

It's all in your ears and head... I love the MDR-1A compared against the 100AAP... Depends on your preferences I guess...

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #1,207 of 1,768
I just got the MDR-10R.
I was wondering how the MDR-100AAP compare...vastly better?

My main source will be my LG V10 and I listen to Jazz, Top 40 POP, R&B, Classical and Dance (House/Trance).

Just would like some advice if it is worth upgrading(?)

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,208 of 1,768

As @gelocks said above, it all depends on a person's preferences.  Personally, I much prefer the 100AAP over the MDR-1A.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,209 of 1,768
  ... Sony's brightest sounding headphones, so they might be a good match. 

I kinda doubt whether this is Sony's brightest headphones or not! Isolation is very very good for me, but never tried the 1A anyway.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,210 of 1,768
  I just got the MDR-10R for under $80 on Amazon.
I was wondering how the MDR-100AAP compare...vastly better?

My main source will be my LG V10 and I listen to Jazz, Top 40 POP, R&B, Classical and Dance (House/Trance).

Just would like some advice if it is worth upgrading(?)

The 10AAP are waaaaay better than the 10R.  The 10R are very decent for under $100, but the 1A and 100AAP both blow them right out of the water.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,211 of 1,768
  The 10AAP are waaaaay better than the 10R.  The 10R are very decent for under $100, but the 1A and 100AAP both blow them right out of the water.

Thanks!

I'm not an audiophile, but enjoy listening to music.
I don't own any "high" end headphones, due to budget constraints...family & bills are first priority!

I currently own Sony MDR-V900 (original purchased in 1999), Logitech UE6000, Sony MDR-10R, Sony MDR-ZX770BT, Phiaton PS 20BT, Sony MDR-NC31EM (For Sony Vaio Duo 13 Laptop/Tablet), SoundMAGIC E-10S and "Monster iBeats (
redface.gif
 )".

Out of my collection would the MDR-100AAP be fitting?
I would consider selling the MDR-10Rs in order to purchase them...$198 is the lowest price going right now.
Is it worth the $120 difference?

confused.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #1,213 of 1,768
Thanks!

I'm not an audiophile, but enjoy listening to music.
I don't own any "high" end headphones, due to budget constraints...family & bills are first priority!

I currently own Sony MDR-V900 (original purchased in 1999), Logitech UE6000, Sony MDR-10R, Sony MDR-ZX770BT, Phiaton PS 20BT, Sony [COLOR=444444]MDR-NC31EM (For Sony Vaio Duo 13 Laptop/Tablet), SoundMAGIC E-10S and "Monster[/COLOR] iBeats ( :xf_eek:  )".

Out of my collection would the MDR-100AAP be fitting?
I would consider selling the MDR-10Rs in order to purchase them...$198 is the lowest price going right now.
Is it worth the $120 difference?

:confused:  
I own the ZX770BT and the 100AAP. From memory the 100AAP has a similar midrange and treble with bass that goes deeper and is more powerful plus a bit bigger sound stage. Detail retrieval is also higher because you don't lose anything in the Bluetooth transmission.

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,214 of 1,768
I find it ironic that Sony finally made headphones which are very good in my opinion (I had issues with comfort with 1R and z7 had a bit veiled mids for such expensive headphones) and gets beaten in price/sound by Panasonic HD10... 

The h.ear range suits my ears well, the sound is balanced, bass is tight, but then again, comfort is worse than with my favorite closed cans Hyperx Cloud  but whats more relevant - they sound a bit worse and are a bit less comfortable than the panasonic attampt to make hi-res headphones.  The in-ear version is probably more interresting with the great ANC feature, but the big batterry makes them a pain to use without a rubber band or something to hold it in place on the phone. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,215 of 1,768
  I find it ironic that Sony finally made headphones which are very good in my opinion (I had issues with comfort with 1R and z7 had a bit veiled mids for such expensive headphones) and gets beaten in price/sound by Panasonic HD10... 

The h.ear range suits my ears well, the sound is balanced, bass is tight, but then again, comfort is worse than with my favorite closed cans Hyperx Cloud  but whats more relevant - they sound a bit worse and are a bit less comfortable than the panasonic attampt to make hi-res headphones.  The in-ear version is probably more interresting with the great ANC feature, but the big batterry makes them a pain to use without a rubber band or something to hold it in place on the phone. 

Is the HD-10 really that awesome?  I haven't heard much about it.  Where can I find out more?

Edit:  Found some measurements http://ko.goldenears.net/board/5542204 for the HD-10, I mean.

Seeing a really weird dip that goes very deep in the FR curve around the bass/mids boundary that does not look very appealing, as well as some clearly evident ringing around the 3 to 5Khz range in the CSD Waterfall that would probably hurt my ears like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back