Sony EX90 Modding thread!
Jan 8, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #106 of 166
brianbrant;3587489 said:
I'm going to try this minimal (but dramtic) mod to my genuine Korean-made 90s, which are the best 90s of my collection, and jaw-dropping in every possible way without any mod other than a standard 72 hour aggressive burn-in. Next will be the genuine Japanese version and then the most recent genuine set, the Malaysian build, when it comes next week.

In sum: what a great discovery this forum. I'm not by nature afraid of messing with any gear, but until my cheap Chinese clones came along, I thought the 90s couldn't get much better, especially the Korean made version. If $10 junk (admittedly based on a really decent, simple design, of course) can sound like $100 heaven, this forum has made my day, week and probably a few months.

QUOTE]

I am extremely happy with my modded 90s. If you have not modded yours and wonder how they would sound with the kidney shaped openings sealed, then simply press them with your fingers, in towards your ears so that a seal is formed between the phones and your skin. Do this while music is playing and you will not believe how much better the phones sound when you press them in, rather than when you dont't, and more air is free to escape from the kidney shaped holes. If you like the sound with the phones pressed in towards your ear, then just seal them (I did it with bathroom silicone sealer) and you will get the dame effect without having to push the phones in to your ear all the time.

Then continue and remove the foam plugs from inside the phones as alread described in this thread and you have an incredible pair of earphones. What stands out to me is the power of the sound. Even with just my Sony mp3 player it is extremely punchy and dynamic. This is a high end sound for peanuts.

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #107 of 166
I tried this mod with my EX90s and Wow!
I took the foam filter out of the tube, and then tried the cling wrap mod.
The cling wrap would not stick, after several tries. So I decided to take a little risk: with silicone caulk I carefully covered the three holes on the driver unit, and when it was almost dry, I punched a pinhole in the center caulk covering.
The result is amazing! The first thing I noticed is the increase in volume! The sound has now increased by several decibels, I assume its because more of the sound is now coming through the center tube.
As for the sound, I echo what others are saying. The bass is much more distinct. To be clear, I always liked the bass on these, but with the mod (even with the pinhole) the bass is quite a bit more dominant. But it's still nicely under control.
I was afraid the mod would make the bass too powerful, but my fears were unfounded. I'm very happy with these. Efficiency sounds even better than before, I can now use a lower volume setting.
I never thought these could get better, but I was wrong... happily wrong.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #109 of 166
My MDR-EX082 has no foam inside the tube. I only removed the paper mesh and it's already better.

Does anyone think white glue will work sealing holes?
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #110 of 166
Hello

I've had MDR-EX90LP for about 2 months now.

I was using MDR-EX70 (1 Year) and MDR-E888 (6 Years) before I got my MDR-EX90.

I just finish modding my MDR-EX90 and it does sound a lot better.

I remove the hold with x-knife. I got myself some candle, melt it and quickly use my fingers and put it over the hole. The wax is not hot at all. My only concern is the piece of filter I removed. The hole is a bit bit and I am afraid dirt might go inside.

I want to make my own filter but I don't know how. Any tips?

Anyways here is the picture of my modded EX90.

Enjoy

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #112 of 166
I forgot to mention that I previously own (now dead) the first high end sony in-ear bud with neodynium magnet and bio cellulose membrane. I forgot their name but they were a great improvement over the already splendid MDR 888LP I had previously (888 have superb sound quality like everyone says "they're good", but no bass . The now modded EX90 (japan) sound nearly as good as I rememeber to the EX71 ancestor, BUT with better treble clarity, and less boomy bass= deeper bottom end!

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #115 of 166
i had forgotten how much a modder you are veggie. nice. i have had the denon, sony 82 and victor hp fx500 all of which i love and then years ago the ex51 which i liked as well. then i had the senn cx300 and ep630 all of which suffered no modding but... if worthwhile.

i have a question. my senn cx300 and my victor make crunching sound only in my right ear - but the unit is unmodded and the body is very stable, why would the driver be crunching? that makes little sense to me... if you have anything to express on this do tell please.

they are fully enclosed into the unit that does not flex and i am not gripping the driver unit when inserting. they sound the same both right and left ear unit but he right one crunches. pleasde do tell. cheers

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #116 of 166
I've had a pair of EX90s for some time and have applied some of the mods listed here (took out the foam and left the port open, put package tape over the base ports with the pin hole in the center). The difference in the sound from my Gen4 Ipod was amazing. I just got a Zen 32MB and picked up a pair of EX85LPs that are, in theory, the same as the 90s but with "cheaper" materials used. The first thing that I did was to remove the cover on the port tube. There was no foam damper to pull out. I then applied the same package tape strips (the heavy duty filament stuff) to the base and the sound was not only great BUT I may actually prefer the EX85s to the EX90s now. The 85s' sound is a bit more open and they are slightly more efficient. When I use the 90s with the Zen, I turn the equalizer's bass settings up to fairly high levels and the treble settings up somewhat. With the 85s, I've found that I can pretty much turn the equalizer off entirely for most music tracks and get as good a sound if not a more rounded one. One thing about modding either model is that I've noticed that some mild microphonics are present. It's not nearly as much as true IEM models but is there nonetheless.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #117 of 166
Hi,

I recently got a pair of EX90 out of curiosity. I found a good deal on ebay )about 50$ delivered) and I'm now testing it for the third day.

On the first day, I did a little 8 hours (out of ear) burn-in at normal volume with various kind of music in the playlist.

My quick review is these are just a tiny bit above "piece of crap" status. The sound is muffled, it is extremely colored in the muddy/thumpy bass heavy department and there's absolutely no precision above 5kHz. Cymbals are boring, all harmonics gets cutoff. I get better highs with my cheaper older Sony model (I don't even remember what's the model number of this one but it can be found under 20$). I can't believce some people pay above 100$ for these EX90 !

I removed the protective "filter" but there was no foam inside. Did Sony changed their model without changing the model number or did I get a fake EX90 ? (No it is not the cheap plastic fake documented on ebay). Anyway, it seems this little mod helped a bit.

ps.: I also own the much better CK7 and ER6 earphones...

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #118 of 166
I think you got fake ones!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgang_fener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I recently got a pair of EX90 out of curiosity. I found a good deal on ebay )about 50$ delivered) and I'm now testing it for the third day.

On the first day, I did a little 8 hours (out of ear) burn-in at normal volume with various kind of music in the playlist.

My quick review is these are just a tiny bit above "piece of crap" status. The sound is muffled, it is extremely colored in the muddy/thumpy bass heavy department and there's absolutely no precision above 5kHz. Cymbals are boring, all harmonics gets cutoff. I get better highs with my cheaper older Sony model (I don't even remember what's the model number of this one but it can be found under 20$). I can't believce some people pay above 100$ for these EX90 !

I removed the protective "filter" but there was no foam inside. Did Sony changed their model without changing the model number or did I get a fake EX90 ? (No it is not the cheap plastic fake documented on ebay). Anyway, it seems this little mod helped a bit.

ps.: I also own the much better CK7 and ER6 earphones...

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #120 of 166
Canadian online stores sell it for nearly 100$... Not sure I'm willing to pay through the nose just to verify...

Even if fake, these would be extremely well done fake. The leather pouch is very nice and soft with the sony mark up front and plastic case inside. The wires are soft (and kind of rubbery), not a standard cheap wire.

I don't know. I contacted Sony about it and I'm waiting for their insight. I asked if it is possible to find genuine sony Ex90 without foam. I hope they will answer that question.

Of course I don't even hope for a refund since I did that mod, I just want' to know before posting bad reviews all around the web.

I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back