Sony EX90 Modding thread!
May 8, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #76 of 166
please, some pics ~!~ I'm afraid to do these without them....

May 25, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #77 of 166
I already did all of these mods a while ago...but I didn't know others were doing them too. I taped up the holes and put a normal size pin-hole in the middle one (just like the EX71s), and then got a nailfile and ran it across the edges to make it smooth (this is what I once did to my skateboards when I put new griptape on). I had some iPod bud foam covers laying around from when I bought my pod....I snipped a tiny hole in the edge and stretched them over the ex90s....fits perfect, and hides the tape. I removed the screen, removed the bulky foam (everyone says it sounds airy....but it's potential sound that can get EQed)...and then I replaced the screen with some Shure E2 screens that I had laying around (don't ask)....and of course it's a perfect fit. Also I put some shure black earpieces on them...I love the softer feel personally.

Sounds like nothing else in it's class really...the bass is CRAZY smooth and warm and the clarity after the foam removal.... it's simply gotta be heard. No matter how you look at it...these buds sound awesome.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #78 of 166
I've tried to do the modding with the cling wrap, but that would not stick, so I tried it with wax and that worked like a charm, I could even remove it once after I let it cool down.

The sound is much more direct now and the bass is overwhelming. I had to reduce the bass setting on my iPod and it is still strong enough. Maybe I should try removing the inner foam pieces as was described here before.

My only concern is that due to body heat the wax will start to melt ... :)

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #79 of 166
Cantello, how's that wax mod holding up? I'm going to take an exacto to mine later today, and the wax looks easier to deal with. Also, are you listening amp'd or what's your source?

My primary source is my iPhone, and if I can find an electronics shop nearby, I think I'm going to cannibalize the stock buds and put the ex90 earpieces on them so I can use the mic and the cool little built in clicker. Id be a lot more comfortable if i can find a shop close by so if i really mess up, I have a back up plan!

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #80 of 166
It's still holding up quite well, even though it is used fairly often. I use it together with my iPod, which is not optimal as the iPod's equaliser only knows very few settings, but still the sound is much better than before.

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #81 of 166
I've never used wax... I think the wax AND tape would be a good idea... just incase
wink.gif
. Also, the BEST thing that I've found so far is the iPod screen protectors they sell at say walmart...they're SUPER think, and they just do NOT come off on their own...also they are much more stout than plane-jane tape. Just thought I'd share that. :p

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #83 of 166
You're telling truth?
It's really no joke that "EX082" = "Sony MDR-EX85SL N.U.D.E EX" ( = EX-90)?
I hope someone with EX-90 or EX85SL could try them out!

Hey! The EX082 cost about $20 shipped from eBay!
If someone decides to aid the community this way, I will buy the EX082 at his / her own buying price and take all the risk (that EX082 are actually a chinese joke)...

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #84 of 166
i think i read somewhere that the ex85 is supposedly a toned down version of the ex90.. besides the different casing, the ex85 is not checked individually as oppossed to the ex90.. though i really dont know if that helps on sound quality.. haha!!
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #85 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're telling truth?
It's really no joke that "EX082" = "Sony MDR-EX85SL N.U.D.E EX" ( = EX-90)?
I hope someone with EX-90 or EX85SL could try them out!

Hey! The EX082 cost about $20 shipped from eBay!
If someone decides to aid the community this way, I will buy the EX082 at his / her own buying price and take all the risk (that EX082 are actually a chinese joke)...

you can buy the ex082 for 20$ from an american seller, i bought them from hongkong and they look like the real deal but im not sure. But yeah if you go and buy them from ebay like I did buy them from the american because i dont think you'd be able to tell them apart(fake from real). I really like the look of these headphones though compared to the ex90s.

what do you mean "the ex082 are actually a chinese joke"
they are the headphones that come with the sony nwa800's the prettiest mp3 players to date.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #86 of 166
Well I had the EX90 bought from Hong Kong and although they sounded pretty fine (although not very detailed) and I liked the fact they were easy to drive (well sometimes it comes handy) and the almost-zero sound isolation, they tore apart.
They were plastic unlike real EX90.

I'll probably get the ex082 and compare both (I'll mend the fake EX90).

Don't you think by the way that the US seller has just the same headphones as hong kong sellers? Actually they are listed in AU dollars. Also there is a picture of dismantled headphones which are actually ER90s on that page.
That appears a bit fishy.
Did your pair ship from Hong Kong? Is there any warranty on your pair?

Yes I find them really nice in fact. But I'd rather avoid white as cheaper looking.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #87 of 166
On that very page, they're listed as "active noise cancelling".
I want to avoid that feature, it just spoils sound. Basically I want some noise-leaking portablees.
Do they require a battery? Can you post pictures please?

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #89 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On that very page, they're listed as "active noise cancelling".
I want to avoid that feature, it just spoils sound. Basically I want some noise-leaking portablees.
Do they require a battery?

Are they noise cancelling as description said?
Can you hear ambient sounds when you have them in your ears (but the music isn't playing yet)?

thanks!

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #90 of 166
EX082 is the model that comes with some sony mp3 walkmans (A800 S600 series) and it's said to be equivalent to EX85.

As for EX082 on eBay, those are certainly fake and I don't believe it can compare with real ones
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back