Sony EX800ST impressions
Mar 25, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #91 of 111
I'm currently considering this, the sony n3, and tfz no 3. I have Tri i3 as my daily driver at home but I wanted something with MOAR bass. Would ex800st fit the bill?
Not in stock, you either need EQ or tape mod it. I much prefer using EQ, but the N3 is next level to me even vs EX800ST (EQ).

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #92 of 111
Not in stock, you either need EQ or tape mod it. I much prefer using EQ, but the N3 is next level to me even vs EX800ST (EQ).
Thanks for the inputs! I must say that I am a fan of your reviews and your document.

Can I wear the n3 over the ear? I'm planning to use it with my UTWS3.

By the way, how about FH3? I could see it on the top of your list as well. In terms of bass, which one is better?

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #93 of 111
Thanks for the inputs! I must say that I am a fan of your reviews and your document.

Can I wear the n3 over the ear? I'm planning to use it with my UTWS3.

By the way, how about FH3? I could see it on the top of your list as well. In terms of bass, which one is better?
I use the N3 over ear with a 3rd party cable, the Tri Through.

FH3 and the N3 do bass very differently. The FH3 has a cleaner bass thats more textured, faster and tighter. While the N3 is slower and looser and rumbles a lot more.

if you have heard the Blon BL-03, thats the kind of bass the N3 has.

I take the N3 over the FH3 though:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rik...stics-iem-graphs.925319/page-39#post-16075050

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #94 of 111
I'd go for a Z5. Similar to 800 but better. 800 comes off a bit dry. N3 might be fairly similar bass wise, but the treble isn't very refined. Z5 is the best of the bunch.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #95 of 111
I'd go for a Z5. Similar to 800 but better. 800 comes off a bit dry. N3 might be fairly similar bass wise, but the treble isn't very refined. Z5 is the best of the bunch.
I'd go for Z5 in a heartbeat as well, but my budget wouldn't allow me :sweat_smile:

It's funny how I started looking into Blon 03, TFZ no. 3, EX800ST, N3... then finally Z5. I'm scared where this is going to take me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile::sweat_smile:

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #96 of 111
I'd go for Z5 in a heartbeat as well, but my budget wouldn't allow me :sweat_smile:

It's funny how I started looking into Blon 03, TFZ no. 3, EX800ST, N3... then finally Z5. I'm scared where this is going to take me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile::sweat_smile:
I take the N3 over the z5 and the ex800st.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #97 of 111
I just got the ex800st moving from the thieaudio L3 and other mid/lofi iems. Interesting sounding iem. with all the people talking about how relaxed these are meant to be but I dont see it, the L3's have a pretty nice sounding smooth treble such that I can crank the volume way past my normal listening level and the treble never hurts which I love about it, but with the ex800st's I had to knock down the 5 and 8k frequencies a bit to make for an enjoyable listen. (these do still have the foam in the nozzles) at that point, its not better than the l3s technically upon my initial day of listening. That's about all the negatives I can point out about it so far, I really really like everything else, I think it has a pretty unique tonality to it, to parrot what others have said. is it organic? idk im not sure, it's just kinda different somehow, it's hard to describe but it's also not the hugest difference in the world either I feel. I'm soo looking forward to using these in vr, especially with how open they feel and how weightless they are in my ears, though im gonna 3d print a custom faceplate for it soon that gets rid of the huge exk connector and replaces it with a normal 2 pin and run it balanced, ill post more later about this perhaps. I got it for less than some brand new starfields or no. 3's so I'm happy so far.

btw does anywhere know where the mods for the ex800st or ex1000 are? those guys in that thread were removing foam, putting tape over the nozzle, using tape, removing rings in the nozzles etc, and I wanted to find some of the mods but I couldn't find it recently

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #98 of 111
the sonys doesnt have that much of a bass presence, they have ports and from them they both leak pressure out and let sounds in.
i havent tried doing any tape mod on them tho so maybe someone that has can help you with that

May 12, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #102 of 111
Got me some of these.
As an unashamed Sony ES fanboy I absolutely adore what they do.
The sound is so like my full stereo systems of ES gear (CDP-X555ES-TAF-670ES-APM-22ES for example) it makes me long to own them again.
I appreciate that it ain't all perfect but man it ticks so many boxes.
Just PEQ it and its endgame.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #104 of 111
After the initial rush I'm struggling to get comfortable with them.
Head over to the classifieds if you fancy a deal...
I know this is an old post, but what prompted your hasty reaction to get rid of these so quickly? Was it fit issues, or didn't you like the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back