Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Nov 18, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #901 of 2,543
I tried recabling an MH755 just for fun, even though I already have an MMCX modded one done for me. I used a crappy beginners soldering iron from like 5 years ago, but I was still able to solder the wires on secure and everything sounds ok. However, compared to the MMCX modded pair, the new ones I recabled now have noticeably less sub bass. My guess is either the new cable is sealing the back shell of the driver and reducing bass, or I soldered the cable on opposite sides and therefore reversing polarity. I don't know if that will even affect the bass though. I also noticed my new recabled one was less sensitive out of my amp, while the mmcx modded one was louder and requires less power. But, that would mean maybe it's the impedance and wiring of the cable that is causing this sound difference. Even though I do prefer this decrease in sub bass, I would like to know if anyone else has come across this. I used this popular DIY headphone cable on Ebay for the project: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Replac...Audio-Cable-Wire-Without-MIC-DIY/153618586477

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #902 of 2,543
I have found the size of knot on the cable inside the shell alters the amount of bass, I am using small metal clips on some of my builds

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #903 of 2,543
I have found the size of knot on the cable inside the shell alters the amount of bass, I am using small metal clips on some of my builds

Same here. The 1st time I did a recable, I used the knot method. Then when I heard the difference I was like nope, and switched to the metal clips.

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #904 of 2,543
I am using small metal clips on some of my builds

The 1st time I did a recable, I used the knot method. Then when I heard the difference I was like nope, and switched to the metal clips.

What clips are being used for this? Source (for reference, for when I try to do a recable job)?

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #905 of 2,543
What clips are being used for this? Source (for reference, for when I try to do a recable job)?

Well, the 1st handful I made I used clips salvaged from junk earphones. Then I used small snips of KZ memory wire I ripped out of cables. Finally, I found some clips from Aliexpress.

They all worked roughly the same. You could even use a glob of glue or a few layers of heat shrink tubing cut in small ‘rings’.

If you get the cable caught on a car mirror or tree branch while jogging, it’s not going to work miracles and prevent mass destruction. It’s only a minor extra layer or protection to help with gentle pulling. Half of all earphones don’t even have any internal strain relief at all!

It’s probably more important how well you care for all of your earphones in general. If you are rough with your stuff, ball them up and jam them in your jeans pocket, get frustrated when trying to untangle the knots, etc then a nano-sized metal clip isn’t going to save the inevitable cable failure. If you’re careful with them, always use a storage case, etc then honestly it’s not even necessary. On my own personal recabled pairs, I don’t even use any clip. Not having one makes servicing the cable easier later on (if necessary).

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #906 of 2,543
Same here. The 1st time I did a recable, I used the knot method. Then when I heard the difference I was like nope, and switched to the metal clips.
Interesting...
I don’t even have a knot tied for mine. The cable is very snug so I didn’t think a knot would be necessary. That would explain the bass difference, because the mmcx modded one I have has a bunch of glue and solder right where the knot would normally be.

Good thing is I prefer the less sub bassy one, it’s sounds more natural and realistic.

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #907 of 2,543
Interesting...
I don’t even have a knot tied for mine. The cable is very snug so I didn’t think a knot would be necessary.

Agreed. When I do braided cables, the cable is so ridiculously tight already, it doesn’t even need a clip or knot!

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #908 of 2,543
DSC_0122~2.JPG I use a tightly wrapped floss or cotton thread instead of a cable knot. Works pefectly.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #909 of 2,543
Guys, any of You have Sony MDR-AS800 to compare with KPE ?

9941763_l.png

Nov 20, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #910 of 2,543
Received my MH755 today from AliExpress, happy to find out that they are actually real ( checked soldering dots, numbers, sound is also very balanced )
Considering I paid just over 2$ for them, I feel pretty lucky.

I'm mindblown, sound at first through my Samsung S8 was pretty boomy and bloated, but on my Dragonfly they are very balanced, and a pleasure to listen to.

Sub bass is present, mids and vocals are suprisingly good, treble is fairly well extended without being any harsh.
Seperation and imaging are far beyond my expectations, and they don't sound congested at all, which is a miracle considering the price point of 2$.

They aren't as clear as my BLON BL03's, nor have the refinement in all of the frequencies that the BLON's have, but it's not a day and night difference by any means, and I actually feel that the vocals on the MH755 is good enough that I don't feel like grabbing for the BL03's because my vocal quality needs doesn't get fed.

The general tonality of these are amazing.

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #911 of 2,543
Just ordered a pair off taobao for $2.4 each.
Mere months ago there were over 10 stores with these. Now only two still have the listing up, and only one actually has some (~100) in stock.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #914 of 2,543
Nov 21, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #915 of 2,543
IMG_6823.JPG

This post is long overdue - this beautiful MH755 was modded by @Slater

In addition to troubleshooting a couple of my beloved IEMs, he built this one for me after discussing what exactly I was looking for. This one is foam modded, has channel indicators, slider bead, silver plated TRN cable, and the stock Sony tag was even transferred - what attention to detail! It sounds sooooo good. I've been listening to this one for months, and randomly listened to my stock MH755 with extension cable (whilst troubleshooting what I thought was a hardware problem - was actually noise present in the recording...) and wow what a difference. I was not expecting to hear such a difference, though my ears had become so accustomed to the modded one, the stock one sounded rather congested/blunted/lifeless by comparison. This is absolutely an all-rounder sounding great with all genres and leaving me not wanting much more as its so easy to just get caught up in the music. Thank you @Slater :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back