Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Jul 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #346 of 2,545
Yes, that is a nice cable. Probably not easy to bring through the strain relief but try if you can. I think some people have had to shorten the strain reliev a little. I only have thin cables in mine.

Yeah.

Worst case scenario I may buy some colored heat shrink and make color coded strain reliefs.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #347 of 2,545
Yeah.

Worst case scenario I may buy some colored heat shrink and make color coded strain reliefs.

If you do that, you still want to seal the strain relief home from the inside. Otherwise, it will create a huge bass vent leak and the MH755 tuning will change from Harman curve to L shaped.

Also, bs aware that those particular mmcx connectors are hit or miss. They work with some but not all cables. And on some cables, one side will make connection but not the other side. Or it will connect, but if you swivel the plug it will lose connection intermittently.

So I’ve had to swap out the jacks on 1 side or the other on more than 1 occasion until I got a full pair of mmcx jacks that work.

And no, there no one brand of cable that “works all the time”. It seems to be just a random issue with particular jacks. I think the issue is that the center pin in the mmcx jack is just a hair shorter on some jacks than others, which causes the short ones to not make a full connection.

In other words, those threaded mmcx jacks are not precision made and aren’t 100% reliable. Yet another reason why I recommend recabling as the easiest, cheapest, and most reliable option.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #348 of 2,545
There is. It’s a pictorial guide. If you search this thread you’ll find it. It’s been posted a few times.

Here’s the links and some helpful tips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...5-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/page-16#post-14988840

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...5-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/page-16#post-14988954

Be aware that the mmcx mod is not exactly the easiest mod. I would strongly recommend you go the recable route first, especially due to your level of soldering experience.

On a scale of difficulty, a recable would be like a 4 out of 10, and the mmcx would be a 7.5 out of 10. Maybe down the road when you have more modding/soldering experience, try the mmcx mod.

Of course that’s just a friendly recommendation. If you’re feeling up to a challenge and don’t care if you destroy a few as a learning experience, by all means try the mmcx mod. It would definitely help hone your skills.

Cheers. Helpful as always, Slater. Would be really great if these post pinned up on first page.

Guide is exactly what I had in mind. Cut and leave enough wires to solder onto the connectors. Still mulling over mmcx or 2 pin.
Iimm recable mod involves soldering on the drivers themselves which I tend to stay away from. Bake the driver/board, then it's all over and I'm off buying new pair and start all over again.
That's just my limited experience with mod thinking though.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #349 of 2,545
Cheers. Helpful as always, Slater. Would be really great if these post pinned up on first page.

Guide is exactly what I had in mind. Cut and leave enough wires to solder onto the connectors. Still mulling over mmcx or 2 pin.
Iimm recable mod involves soldering on the drivers themselves which I tend to stay away from. Bake the driver/board, then it's all over and I'm off buying new pair and start all over again.
That's just my limited experience with mod thinking though.

Good points.

I personally replace the solder and wires with better quality litz wire (and silver solder), but I can see why leaving the stock wire on would be more fool-proof (and a much faster method overall).

As far as stickies, unfortunately they are not supported (or not implemented) on the current version of the HeadFi site. It would be awesome if it was though, as it’s desperately needed!

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #350 of 2,545
I measured a couple of MH755. One with white housing, and the other with black. Both probably from different batches. Look at the inconsistency.

I have two white ones from the same Ebay seller that measure identical. So, is a batch difference or do different color ones have different response?

mh755 3.jpg

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #351 of 2,545
I measured a couple of MH755. One with white housing, and the other with black. Both probably from different batches. Look at the inconsistency.

I have two white ones from the same Ebay seller that measure identical. So, is a batch difference or do different color ones have different response?

The black are tuned for more bass. So that graph is pretty accurate from what I see.

I’ve ordered a black one (which I hope turns out to be genuine), so I can determine what specifically is different (driver, vent hole, nozzle ID, etc).

But yeah, the white one is the more balanced one, tuned to the Harman curve.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #352 of 2,545
The black are tuned for more bass. So that graph is pretty accurate from what I see.

I’ve ordered a black one (which I hope turns out to be genuine), so I can determine what specifically is different (driver, vent hole, nozzle ID, etc).

But yeah, the white one is the more balanced one, tuned to the Harman curve.
That explains it. To me, the white one's response looks to be better balanced, but if you want more bass, you shall get more bass. I'd have to listen to them a bit to figure out which I prefer out of the two though.

The more I compare with other budget iems, more I appreciate the performance of the MH755.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #353 of 2,545

some mh755 units can have more bass, I have 6 units and I have reviewed this week and 1 of them has more bass than the rest. I think it's because of the black filter, they make a huge difference if you take them away or move them.

Edit: in fact if you look at this graph, your mh755 is similar to mh750's graphic https://i.redd.it/lx8byhs82ft21.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #355 of 2,545
Good points.

I personally replace the solder and wires with better quality litz wire (and silver solder), but I can see why leaving the stock wire on would be more fool-proof (and a much faster method overall).

As far as stickies, unfortunately they are not supported (or not implemented) on the current version of the HeadFi site. It would be awesome if it was though, as it’s desperately needed!
Not exactly stickies. Maybe just update first page of this thread and add some useful posts. Just my newbie thought.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #356 of 2,545
Even the cable knot inside can change the sound a bit
Makes sense as I was wondering with the MMCX mod people do on the iem could change the sound. The bass is after all about how much interior spacing and the rate of air movement through the vent hole.

some mh755 units can have more bass, I have 6 units and I have reviewed this week and 1 of them has more bass than the rest. I think it's because of the black filter, they make a huge difference if you take them away or move them.

Edit: in fact if you look at this graph, your mh755 is similar to mh750's graphic https://i.redd.it/lx8byhs82ft21.jpg
Were those 6 units the same color or the one with more bass different color? Black?

What filter are we talking about? A damper filter on the sound outlet? Any image of the filter?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #357 of 2,545
I like the black one's response better. Earlier on I said the highs have too much treble (and this wss based on the two white units), but as can be seen from the measurement of the black unit, the treble is subdue'd and therefore smoother up there. You can feel much greater air as the subs are even great. Not a bad thing in my perspective as long as bass doesn't mask other frequencies or reduce clarity.

I think even better would be lower the 3k peak a bit.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #358 of 2,545
Not exactly stickies. Maybe just update first page of this thread and add some useful posts. Just my newbie thought.

Excellent idea! Done :)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #359 of 2,545
I like the black one's response better. Earlier on I said the highs have too much treble (and this wss based on the two white units), but as can be seen from the measurement of the black unit, the treble is subdue'd and therefore smoother up there. You can feel much greater air as the subs are even great. Not a bad thing in my perspective as long as bass doesn't mask other frequencies or reduce clarity.

I think even better would be lower the 3k peak a bit.
I can agree with a lot of that. While you can tell the sub bass is elevated it's overshadowed by most of the range below 1-2kHz being recessed.
This target curve better reflects what I hear than the Harman target:
gnAurKY.png

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #360 of 2,545
I can agree with a lot of that. While you can tell the sub bass is elevated it's overshadowed by most of the range below 1-2kHz being recessed.
This target curve better reflects what I hear than the Harman target:
gnAurKY.png
I wonder if it's even physically possible to tune the bass like Harman. The way it curves is not the natural way the drivers generally curves from mids to bass.

I could see why Harman bass curves the way it does. It avoids lifting the area that warms up the sig that cause masking of the upper frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back