Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,276 of 1,526
it already has a 4k hdr display. the new innovation in the camera recording. previously you couldn't do video in 4k AND hdr. You had to downgrade in resolution to record in hdr now you can do both so thats nice from sony.

yeah the way the dual cameras are being talked about by sony it seems like its going to be a real upgrade. I might have to wait a while longer before i really decide what phone i wanna buy.

Well yeah now that we know it exists, of course it would, but because they didn't officially announce it, I didn't want to assume anything for sure. After the the Z5 came out they didn't release another 4K phone until the XZ Premium 2 years later. That's all I meant.

Yeah that is really awesome. I'm glad they were (yet again) the first to offer something like that.

Yes, the dual cameras are becoming standard. My V30 has dual cameras, which makes for some really sweet wide shots as I showed u before (burger pic lol). But the detail is lacking when you zoom in. Haha yeah......... I hope they release the XZ2 Premium in June and not wait for IFA (F that! lol).

Hey, what's the story with AT&T and VoLTE? I think you said you have AT&T but not sure. Is AT&T the only major carrier that doesn't require certification for it? I noticed the U11 for example lists VoLTE (certification, etc......see bottom parts) for Verizon & T-Mobile, but not AT&T. What's the story there?? I know AT&T HAS VoLTE, but then why does it seem like the U11 and Xperia phones don't show VoLTE as an option on AT&T (Xperia owners on XDA have told me they DO NOT get VoLTE either)?? That crap confuses me! lol

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,277 of 1,526
Well yeah now that we know it exists, of course it would, but because they didn't officially announce it, I didn't want to assume anything for sure. After the the Z5 came out they didn't release another 4K phone until the XZ Premium 2 years later. That's all I meant.

Yeah that is really awesome. I'm glad they were (yet again) the first to offer something like that.

Yes, the dual cameras are becoming standard. My V30 has dual cameras, which makes for some really sweet wide shots as I showed u before (burger pic lol). But the detail is lacking when you zoom in. Haha yeah......... I hope they release the XZ2 Premium in June and not wait for IFA (F that! lol).

Hey, what's the story with AT&T and VoLTE? I think you said you have AT&T but not sure. Is AT&T the only major carrier that doesn't require certification for it? I noticed the U11 for example lists VoLTE (certification, etc......see bottom parts) for Verizon & T-Mobile, but not AT&T. What's the story there?? I know AT&T HAS VoLTE, but then why does it seem like the U11 and Xperia phones don't show VoLTE as an option on AT&T (Xperia owners on XDA have told me they DO NOT get VoLTE either)?? That crap confuses me! lol
hmm it could be that america is just behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology hmm. cuz i think europeans don't have these kind of issues.

the thing about dual cameras is that for the most part they are pretty gimmicky since the best phone that can take pictures right now is pixel 2 and that only uses one camera. The advantage is only in dual camera fusion where it combines two sensors like how huawei and nokia do it. WHen you do that it gets you really good low light capabilities which is what i think sony is gonna try to show with its dual camera system. But one is all you really need.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,278 of 1,526
hmm it could be that america is just behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology hmm. cuz i think europeans don't have these kind of issues.

the thing about dual cameras is that for the most part they are pretty gimmicky since the best phone that can take pictures right now is pixel 2 and that only uses one camera. The advantage is only in dual camera fusion where it combines two sensors like how huawei and nokia do it. WHen you do that it gets you really good low light capabilities which is what i think sony is gonna try to show with its dual camera system. But one is all you really need.

Yeah they prob don't. And they have more of a presence of Sony Mobile too. lol

After posting that I spoke with HTC customer service via chat and the guy said he would talk to his manager and look into that. So I will follow up with them tomorrow prob and see.

I C. Well that's one thing people say is bad with Sony's Xperia cameras is the low light. So if this partnership with Ericsson AND with Qualcomm is supposed to fix that, then that's awesome!

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,279 of 1,526
those audio technicas has cool design.

but honestly Sony is a no brainer for becuase of LDAC bluetooth which every phone will get with android O.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2018/03/1...ropped-the-headphone-jack-for-the-xperia-xz2/

So regarding the whole USB-C to Female 3.5mm adapter/dongle thing, will this dongle that comes with the XZ2 transfer analog signals or digital out of the phone? More specifically, WILL the DAC in the XZ2 even be utilized or will it get passed over for a DAC in the dongle itself?

My concern is that even if the XZ2 has a great DAC, will it matter for the headphones? If the DAC isn't being used, then no, it won't. So in that case I'd have to (if I was to get a future Xperia phone) either consider the AQ DF Red or a DAP.

Thoughts?

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,280 of 1,526

https://www.gsmarena.com/the_sony_xperia_xz2_pro_might_still_be_coming-news-30130.php

Thoughts??!!!!!!!!! lol

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,282 of 1,526
aertus, where the F are you? lol

Looks like we got some clarification and Sony did something RIGHT here:

Additionally, Sony says both the XZ2 and XZ2 will ship with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Moreover, unlike Google did with the Pixel 2, Sony has built the XZ2 and XZ2 Compact’s digital-to-analog audio converters (DAC) directly into the devices (on the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, the headphone DAC is offloaded to the USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter).

So the way I'm interpreting that is, Sony's adapter allows for analog pass-through while Pixel's doesn't. Agree??

If yes, that would mean then that the adapter does NOT have a DAC in it, right??

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,283 of 1,526
aertus, where the F are you? lol

Looks like we got some clarification and Sony did something RIGHT here:

Additionally, Sony says both the XZ2 and XZ2 will ship with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Moreover, unlike Google did with the Pixel 2, Sony has built the XZ2 and XZ2 Compact’s digital-to-analog audio converters (DAC) directly into the devices (on the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, the headphone DAC is offloaded to the USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter).

So the way I'm interpreting that is, Sony's adapter allows for analog pass-through while Pixel's doesn't. Agree??

If yes, that would mean then that the adapter does NOT have a DAC in it, right??
then yes you're correct, the dongle does NOT have a dac in it because its in the phone. Correct.

The XZ2 has a much better screen according to GSM numbers. However, I think sony is too late as they should of have this screen since last year. Its still not impressive and this could be the limitation of LCD on smartphones.

the Pro coming at IFA is our last glimmer of hope for sony. if they really mess up ifa its game over for the company. they have to nail it.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #1,284 of 1,526
then yes you're correct, the dongle does NOT have a dac in it because its in the phone. Correct.

The XZ2 has a much better screen according to GSM numbers. However, I think sony is too late as they should of have this screen since last year. Its still not impressive and this could be the limitation of LCD on smartphones.

the Pro coming at IFA is our last glimmer of hope for sony. if they really mess up ifa its game over for the company. they have to nail it.

Ok awesome!!! Then with AHO (Automatic Headphone Optimization) enabled, plus with the volume (and battery life) bump that Oreo had given to the XZ Premium (and other Xperia phones that have Oreo I assume), then both the sound quality and the volume SHOULD theoretically be great on these more recent flagship Xperia phones.

Yeah? Ok. Both GSM Arena and Phone Arena give the XZ2's battery life very high ratings. Phone Arena said it's like 9 hours strong (my V30 is 9 1/2 hours), which is excellent.

Well not sure if you saw my previous post from a few days ago, but apparently GSM Arena is indicating that the XZ2 Pro might be coming out SOONER than later....................

https://www.gsmarena.com/the_sony_xperia_xz2_pro_might_still_be_coming-news-30130.php

Thoughts??!!!!!!!!! lol

And also, there's this (optional). lol

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,285 of 1,526
Wow, HTC ACTUALLY marketing again?? Wonder if they will do so in the U.S. too like they did for the M8 UNLIKE Sony Mobile. lol

We're anticipating that the HTC 12 Plus is going to break cover during May, and those in the know say it's going to be released across the world at the same time. There's also word that the company is going to use some of the billion or so dollars it picked up from Google to make sure the 2018 flagship is aggressively marketed.

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,286 of 1,526
reviewers from both phonearena and GSMarena are praising the xz2. it seems that the xz2 has pissed off original sony fans like myself who liked the design of the previous generation. Aestehtics aside its not a terrible phone by any means but still not quite in the competition.

new huawei flagship just shattered records on dxomark as top rated phones. i reckon that lecia german partnership did wonders from them. Now its time sony show people they are a camera company and can make a great camera.

I reckon sony is holding back for IFA 2018. but if they disappoint us again im not sure there is any hope for them because even chinese rivals are blowing the competition especially since the new xiomi mi2s came out as well with a way higher score than sony on dxo.

however, part of me feels that sony is building up something for IFA. evidence: Dual image fusion camera they revealed to break low light record, as well as a new visual core they are working on that will beat even googles own. So there is still hope.....

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #1,287 of 1,526
reviewers from both phonearena and GSMarena are praising the xz2. it seems that the xz2 has pissed off original sony fans like myself who liked the design of the previous generation. Aestehtics aside its not a terrible phone by any means but still not quite in the competition.

new huawei flagship just shattered records on dxomark as top rated phones. i reckon that lecia german partnership did wonders from them. Now its time sony show people they are a camera company and can make a great camera.

I reckon sony is holding back for IFA 2018. but if they disappoint us again im not sure there is any hope for them because even chinese rivals are blowing the competition especially since the new xiomi mi2s came out as well with a way higher score than sony on dxo.

however, part of me feels that sony is building up something for IFA. evidence: Dual image fusion camera they revealed to break low light record, as well as a new visual core they are working on that will beat even googles own. So there is still hope.....

Yeah......... I like the phone overall, but feel like the odds are the XZ2 Pro will be worth the wait.

Yeah but Huawei is having a REAL hard time in the U.S. these days. lol I believe the carriers and now Best Buy are refusing to sell their phones anymore b/c of some fear that they are using data collected for illicit purposes that threaten the security of the U.S. lol So I dunno, which is a shame b/c they make pretty cool phones from what I'm seeing. Thankfully OnePlus and ZTE are still in the clear here fortunately. I didn't know Huawei had partnered with Leica though. Very cool! But ppl can still buy their phones on Amazon I guess.

Yes Sony Mobile has been stepping it up, but they still have more steps left to walk if they wanna compete for real here.

Man I hope not. F IFA!! lol May/June releeeeaaaaaaaasseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! (like the XZ Premium!!) lol

I dunno about DxO man. Seems to me like there's some corrupt BS going on there. Remember last year they re-evaluated the Samsung and Apple phones which gave them higher scores, but they "conveniently" forgot to do the same for the XZ Premium? Hmm, wonder if it was b/c Sony didn't have enough "bribe money" available to pay them? lol All I know is, the XZ Premium came out AFTER the S8 yet the S8 I believe got re-eval'd. Just sayin'. lol

Yeah dual camera sounds cool, although..........is the second camera gonna be a telephoto one or wide angle? I think it's telephoto, but man I'd MUCH prefer wide angle. My V30's dual camera setup is good but not consistent, and lacks detail in most cases when you zoom in. But that wide angle lens is AWESOME! lol You prob recall the burger pic I took not too long ago and posted on here. Love that pic, so I hope Sony does that too on the XZ2 Pro.

Visual core to beat Google's? Tell me more. lol

Also, OIS............BRING IT!! lol Putting it RANDOMLY on the XA2 Ultra's FRONT/SELFIE cam only is weak. It's not even a flagship! Why the F would u give a mid-ranger OIS and not a flagship????????

Note: And why can Huawei and OnePlus offer VoLTE on their recent unlocked phones but Sony can't??????? lol

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #1,288 of 1,526
the goverments concerns over huawei is not completeny unjustified. Oneplus has been shown to keep records of peoples information. There are security conerns given possible ties to the chinese communist goverment which is not a surprise. I wouldn't want them to spy on me either. With that said this leica partnership has closed the gap and the fact that they can fit all that into a 4000mah body thats also thin is ahead of what even sony is doing now. Granted, they did get help from the germans and it wasn't all on their own.

the secondary camera is going to be an RGB/monochrome. Sony is going for the dual image fusion where you can combine both sensors to get a better picture. Sony has potential to catch up at IFA but if they mess up they will have to try really hard next time but you only get so many chances.

honeslty i wanna support sony because I don't want to give my money to google who A is already really powerful and B already has a lot of my personal info why give them even more. I don't like apple. Samsung has too much of a monopoly. And as for the chinese....well you know the issues there aside from ok software. Which kinda leaves you with Sony to support as an alternative to all these really big companies if you wanna take away their monopolies (IE samsung vs JDI/JOLED). There is also HTC and nokia ofc which are in the same line as Sony trying to compete with companies who have huge advantages, piles of cash, and monopolies.

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,289 of 1,526
the goverments concerns over huawei is not completeny unjustified. Oneplus has been shown to keep records of peoples information. There are security conerns given possible ties to the chinese communist goverment which is not a surprise. I wouldn't want them to spy on me either. With that said this leica partnership has closed the gap and the fact that they can fit all that into a 4000mah body thats also thin is ahead of what even sony is doing now. Granted, they did get help from the germans and it wasn't all on their own.

the secondary camera is going to be an RGB/monochrome. Sony is going for the dual image fusion where you can combine both sensors to get a better picture. Sony has potential to catch up at IFA but if they mess up they will have to try really hard next time but you only get so many chances.

honeslty i wanna support sony because I don't want to give my money to google who A is already really powerful and B already has a lot of my personal info why give them even more. I don't like apple. Samsung has too much of a monopoly. And as for the chinese....well you know the issues there aside from ok software. Which kinda leaves you with Sony to support as an alternative to all these really big companies if you wanna take away their monopolies (IE samsung vs JDI/JOLED). There is also HTC and nokia ofc which are in the same line as Sony trying to compete with companies who have huge advantages, piles of cash, and monopolies.

Yeah but I mean, at this point, even if you trust someone, the likelihood of them being hacked is so great these days (if we're being honest lol) that it's almost irrelevant. Also, we have so many apps on our phones that prob do the same thing w/o us knowing about it too. It's ridiculous really. If I was a government official then I'd be worried. But assuming my dad's OnePlus 5 has my dad's info, what're they gonna do with it? The issue is with political espionage not really personal data, so it's really not a concern. Since you and my cousin brought up the P20 Pro, I REALLY want one now lol, but only way to buy it is through Amazon, and I wouldn't even consider it unless (of course lol) T-Mo VoLTE was included like it was on the last Huawei flagship, the Mate 10. But the Mate 10 came out before all this hoopla about espionage on U.S. soil, so I dunno. Plus, waiting to get more info on the DAC, but it looks promising so far! The amp is DEF legit strong.

"It’s interesting that Huawei has thrown in an “audiophile-grade” digital-to-analog converter (DAC) chip that decodes lossless audio, as well as an amplifier that is claimed to power headphones with up to 600-ohm impedance. These features usually go hand-in-hand with a headphone jack, like on LG’s V30."

Yeah that Leica partnership + the 4000 mAh battery make this phone BEYOND sick. But I gotta know more before I even consider it. The main thing is VoLTE, with the DAC issue being a close second. Also, price. lol If it's $1000 on Amazon, then I prob won't buy it. lol

Yes Sony has GOT to step it up with the XZ2 Pro or else F them. lol

Ughh stop saying IFA. IFA is forever from now!! LOL May/June!!!! :L3000:

Exactly, Google already has a ton of your personal info, so I dunno. lol Plus they're not exactly innocent either when it comes to spying. Just sayin'. lol

Well Chinese software, isn't it improving though? All the P20 Pro reviews I read have praised the software. HTC....... I dunno man. lol They seem like they are struggling way more than Sony is unfortunately. Nokia...........not a fan, but would be if their phones improved in looks. Sony............yeah, we know what they gotta do. But will they EVER do it?? lol

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,290 of 1,526

Users who are viewing this thread

Back