Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Apr 3, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #1,291 of 1,526
it matters more than you think. they can use that information for all kinds of stuff its more powerful than you think. also another big issue is watch michael fishers review of mate 10 pro he says the software isnt' that good.

read all of this https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9_vs_sony_xperia_xz2_shootout-review-1743.php

it means the xz2 pro could bring some heat

I'm really not worried. Maybe I should be, but I'm not. lol

Well that's the Mate 10 Pro. The P20 Pro is gonna be the newest flagship when it comes out sometime this month.

I didn't read it ALL but I read a lot of it (skipped video). Sounds like the Sony is better in many cases, but not all. Samsung still is better with noise in some respects, and the OIS I see does more for improving night shots, which Sony only accomplishes with a tripod. But Samsung STILL seems to have color accuracy issues, a big issue to me. The fact that GSM Arena is saying these 2 are neck & neck is very much a big deal as well. Awesome review!!

Yeah now imagine this amped up with a DUAL camera and more camera tech advances!

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,292 of 1,526
Man F Huawei and DxOMark! lol

I'm NOT really a big Samsung fan as you know, but it is the CLEAR winner here. (Watch if you want. Optional)

I am SHOCKED that the 10mp camera on it is actually BETTER than the 40mp one too!

DxOMark is trash aertus. Give me a break!
Plus, notice how they have P20 Pro already on there even though it's not even out yet, yet XZ2 which IS already out isn't listed?!!! I smell corruption. lol Huawei is #3 so they obviously have enough BRIBE MONEY to go around lol XZ Premium got crap on as you recall, and now the xz2 has too. Very unfair!

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #1,293 of 1,526
I'm really not worried. Maybe I should be, but I'm not. lol

Well that's the Mate 10 Pro. The P20 Pro is gonna be the newest flagship when it comes out sometime this month.

I didn't read it ALL but I read a lot of it (skipped video). Sounds like the Sony is better in many cases, but not all. Samsung still is better with noise in some respects, and the OIS I see does more for improving night shots, which Sony only accomplishes with a tripod. But Samsung STILL seems to have color accuracy issues, a big issue to me. The fact that GSM Arena is saying these 2 are neck & neck is very much a big deal as well. Awesome review!!

Yeah now imagine this amped up with a DUAL camera and more camera tech advances!

its stuff we already knew before. Sony does really well when you use manual mode for any scenario thats not perfect daylight which was true even for the z3 which was the best at that time.

yeah thats why there is still hope. remeber sony was supposed to release the premium but they delayed it last minute.

Man F Huawei and DxOMark! lol

I'm NOT really a big Samsung fan as you know, but it is the CLEAR winner here. (Watch if you want. Optional)

I am SHOCKED that the 10mp camera on it is actually BETTER than the 40mp one too!

DxOMark is trash aertus. Give me a break!
Plus, notice how they have P20 Pro already on there even though it's not even out yet, yet XZ2 which IS already out isn't listed?!!! I smell corruption. lol Huawei is #3 so they obviously have enough BRIBE MONEY to go around lol XZ Premium got crap on as you recall, and now the xz2 has too. Very unfair!

I don't really trust supersaf tbh cuz he is really biased. I'll wait for more reviews.

dxomark does seem to be a little iffy. I don't think they have thrown away all forms of objectivity they are just more likely to review your phone if you send them one. I think the biggest issue with DXmark is the individual scores they added such as zoom and bokeh. If you don't care for those two categories the scores would be different thats why you have to see them individually

upload_2018-4-5_18-41-43.png

upload_2018-4-5_18-42-1.png

you can see that if you don't include the zooma nd bokeh the huawei does better overall in most of the areas by several points. and even in the same category of zoom and bokeh it does better. DXomark can be iffy but there is some logic behind their scores.

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #1,294 of 1,526
its stuff we already knew before. Sony does really well when you use manual mode for any scenario thats not perfect daylight which was true even for the z3 which was the best at that time.

yeah thats why there is still hope. remeber sony was supposed to release the premium but they delayed it last minute.

I don't really trust supersaf tbh cuz he is really biased. I'll wait for more reviews.

dxomark does seem to be a little iffy. I don't think they have thrown away all forms of objectivity they are just more likely to review your phone if you send them one. I think the biggest issue with DXmark is the individual scores they added such as zoom and bokeh. If you don't care for those two categories the scores would be different thats why you have to see them individually

you can see that if you don't include the zooma nd bokeh the huawei does better overall in most of the areas by several points. and even in the same category of zoom and bokeh it does better. DXomark can be iffy but there is some logic behind their scores.

Well see once again that's the thing.............most ppl DON'T use manual mode. So Sony needs to step it up and make their auto mode better, plain & simple!

Well I'm basing my thoughts on the pics and vids only, not what he says. All I know is, that video shows that like 8 or 9 out of 10 times, the S9+ is better. Still NOT with color accuracy, and in 1 or 2 instances the P20 Pro had the better shot, but the vast majority of the pics I saw were simply better on the S9+ side.

You are correct in reiterating that the DxOMark scores are based on several different category criteria, but still, the S9+ looked superior to me overall (and then some), and this is coming from someone who is NOT a Samsung fan. lol And What with the 10mp camera being better than the 40 one?? Even then the S9+ was better. And sorry, again, no redo on the XZ Premium review?? And no XZ2 review yet????

I was really excited about the P20 Pro, but now I honestly have lost interest based on that review. The spy thing doesn't exactly help either, even though I'm not all that worried about it. Not having a MicroSD card slot doesn't help either, although 128 GBs will prob be enough to meet my storage etc needs. What I don't understand is how it's rated better than the Pixel 2's camera?? So what does that say?? That the S9+'s camera is better than both the Pixel 2's and P20 Pro's cameras???

The odds are though that I'm prob just gonna keep my V30 for a while longer. lol I have no more patience for using "manual mode" anymore, so the camera just needs to be great in auto. The P20 Pro prob won't have T-Mo VoLTE anyway, and even if it does, I'd still prob not get it b/c of this camera thing, even if the DAC is great. The XZ2 Pro...........even less chance of T-Mo VoLTE, so I dunno. I'm just getting tired of having my options diminished to the point where I no longer find them viable. The HTC U12+ will prob disappoint me too.

Anyway, speaking of the HTC U12+..........

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #1,295 of 1,526
not only that but the p20 pro has software issue still. youtube reviewer Recombu pointed out software issue in regards to using google maps. it was super slow like using a 8 year old phone. Which is a really big deal given google maps is one of the most used and practical apps out there. Fail. Mr mobile fisher was right about huawei software and it doesn't seem to have changed much. They can't dominate on all aspects heh. I don't know i want to check out more reviews to make that assesment.

if you check pixel 2 subcategory scores the scores are still higher on every category that isn't zoom and bokeh and it only does that with one single camera. but the p20 pro has the advantage of huge sensor size 1/1.7 which is the main reason it can take good low light photos.

I'm intersted in new nokia. and since you're not a fan i think this might impress you. The new nokia is rumored to come out with a triple zeiss camera similar to p20 pro, but with a working under display fp scanner, and a xenon flash within a thin body (unlike nokia 1020). We might see some innovation from them.

yeah seen the htc. i'm not sure htc can keep up with the competition anymore.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,296 of 1,526
not only that but the p20 pro has software issue still. youtube reviewer Recombu pointed out software issue in regards to using google maps. it was super slow like using a 8 year old phone. Which is a really big deal given google maps is one of the most used and practical apps out there. Fail. Mr mobile fisher was right about huawei software and it doesn't seem to have changed much. They can't dominate on all aspects heh. I don't know i want to check out more reviews to make that assesment.

if you check pixel 2 subcategory scores the scores are still higher on every category that isn't zoom and bokeh and it only does that with one single camera. but the p20 pro has the advantage of huge sensor size 1/1.7 which is the main reason it can take good low light photos.

I'm intersted in new nokia. and since you're not a fan i think this might impress you. The new nokia is rumored to come out with a triple zeiss camera similar to p20 pro, but with a working under display fp scanner, and a xenon flash within a thin body (unlike nokia 1020). We might see some innovation from them.

yeah seen the htc. i'm not sure htc can keep up with the competition anymore.

Yeah? Ok. I dunno. Maybe Recombu spent more time with it? That sux about it being slow. Yeah if you see more reviews where the software is mentioned, let me know.

Hmm ok. I just did, and you're right........the Pixel 2 does score better for the most part where it matters. I STILL however have my issues with DxOMark. lol

Triple Zeiss camera?? Yeah that DOES impress me actually. LOL And under display FS?? I assume that's the same as "in/on-screen"? That's awesome! Well if the phone looks COOL and has T-Mo VoLTE, I'd consider it. A strong amp/DAC would def help matters too. lol

In other news........doesn't sound like the P20 Pro is gonna be T-Mo VoLTE-certified. lol Granted, the P series never got released here before like the Mate series did, but the fact that Huawei was TRYING to do just that with the P20 & P20 Pro made me think they would certify T-Mo VoLTE anyway, but after reading that article, I'm not holding my breath. And since the P series seems to be their true flagship, that makes me less likely to get the Mate 11 too, though if the camera improves I might consider it, but it won't come out 'til Fall anyway.

The Mate 10 actually has the same processor as the P20 Pro, but the T-Mo VoLTE-certified version only has 4 GBs of RAM and 64 GBs of memory, but it DOES have a MicroSD slot. And only IP53 too, not IP67/68 like the others mentioned here. The Mate 10 Pro single-sim L09 (not dual L29) is also T-Mo VoLTE-certified, but it's only 4 GBs of RAM and also only 64 GBs of memory with NO MicroSD card. (The dual-sim version isn't T-Mo VoLTE-certified.) So there are pros and cons here. The Mate 10 regular seems like the best fit except it's also 16:9, which I'm NOT going back to, ever. lol So V30 for me STILL! lol

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=8877&idPhone2=8712&idPhone3=8854#l09,h932,l09

What's confusing is Amazon has a Mate 10 Pro with 128 GBs and 6 GBs of RAM with a US warranty, but I can't confirm whether or not it has T-Mo VoLTE-certification. Can you?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,297 of 1,526
recombu used it for a week. Xiomi mis2s and p20 pro are impressive but sitll have issues being sold in the west and their UI and software is not their best. this is their biggest weakness from completely dominating the smartphone.

yeah nokia will have underscreen/in FP scanner, tripple zeiss, and xenon flash all in thin body. Nokia said they are looking to make a world class camera not just a good camera. Hopefully this is true.

htc https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_u12_leaked_specs_sheet_leaves_nothing_to_the_imagination-news-30461.php

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,298 of 1,526
recombu used it for a week. Xiomi mis2s and p20 pro are impressive but sitll have issues being sold in the west and their UI and software is not their best. this is their biggest weakness from completely dominating the smartphone.

yeah nokia will have underscreen/in FP scanner, tripple zeiss, and xenon flash all in thin body. Nokia said they are looking to make a world class camera not just a good camera. Hopefully this is true.

htc https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_u12_leaked_specs_sheet_leaves_nothing_to_the_imagination-news-30461.php

Ok on Xiomi.

Nice! Well keep me posted on it I guess. Hopefully like HTC and OnePlus they will work on T-Mo AND have T-Mo VoLTE unlocked. Prob not with my luck though. lol

Yeah just saw that HTC think a few hours ago. Box looks legit but of course we won't know for sure until HTC officially announces it. Not sure if it will be enough to sway me though. Not sure if I wanna go back to HTC too since they're struggling so much. Though I bet the camera would be better than the inconsistency I get with LG. lol But how good will the DAC be??

OnePlus 6 looks interesting too. That blue-grey wood back is sick too.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #1,299 of 1,526
Ok on Xiomi.

Nice! Well keep me posted on it I guess. Hopefully like HTC and OnePlus they will work on T-Mo AND have T-Mo VoLTE unlocked. Prob not with my luck though. lol

Yeah just saw that HTC think a few hours ago. Box looks legit but of course we won't know for sure until HTC officially announces it. Not sure if it will be enough to sway me though. Not sure if I wanna go back to HTC too since they're struggling so much. Though I bet the camera would be better than the inconsistency I get with LG. lol But how good will the DAC be??

OnePlus 6 looks interesting too. That blue-grey wood back is sick too.
htc always had good sound quality. so what if they are struggling as long as they are making a good product?

technically sony is struggling too its the other sectors like playstation, cameras, and TV's that are keeping the company afloat.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #1,300 of 1,526
htc always had good sound quality. so what if they are struggling as long as they are making a good product?

technically sony is struggling too its the other sectors like playstation, cameras, and TV's that are keeping the company afloat.

Well that's the thing. You say always, but with the U11 it seemed like there was some doubt as to whether the quality of the DAC/amp in the dongle was as better or worse. Did you ever come to a conclusion on that? More recently it seems like I've been reading more positive things though, but what are your thoughts on it?? Do you think it's better than the more recent Sony phones' headphone audio quality?? I'm not so sure there (see below). lol

I guess I'd rather not buy from them if I think they're gonna fold sooner than later is all. lol Cuz then if I have issues I don't wanna hear "Sorry, we're going out of business. Good luck." lol

Yeah but for the most part I thought Sony Mobile was finally out of the red and back in the black from what I'd read recently. Yeah it was through cost cutting, but whatever. If trimming the fat will keep you lean and pressing onward, then I'm all for it. So that's why I'd rather get a Sony phone than an HTC at this point. But I'm so TIRED of waiting. F Sony Mobile if they wait 'til BS IFA to release the XZ2 Pro. Release it now WITH T-Mo VoLTE and 99% chance I'll buy it, esp if the audio (including amp) is rated well/strong. But I know from that guy on here that if I enable AHO (Automatic Headphone Optimization) the quality boosts up, plus Oreo gave the headphone volume a nice boost as well. So really it's more about the VoLTE at this point.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,301 of 1,526
Well that's the thing. You say always, but with the U11 it seemed like there was some doubt as to whether the quality of the DAC/amp in the dongle was as better or worse. Did you ever come to a conclusion on that? More recently it seems like I've been reading more positive things though, but what are your thoughts on it?? Do you think it's better than the more recent Sony phones' headphone audio quality?? I'm not so sure there (see below). lol

I guess I'd rather not buy from them if I think they're gonna fold sooner than later is all. lol Cuz then if I have issues I don't wanna hear "Sorry, we're going out of business. Good luck." lol

Yeah but for the most part I thought Sony Mobile was finally out of the red and back in the black from what I'd read recently. Yeah it was through cost cutting, but whatever. If trimming the fat will keep you lean and pressing onward, then I'm all for it. So that's why I'd rather get a Sony phone than an HTC at this point. But I'm so TIRED of waiting. F Sony Mobile if they wait 'til BS IFA to release the XZ2 Pro. Release it now WITH T-Mo VoLTE and 99% chance I'll buy it, esp if the audio (including amp) is rated well/strong. But I know from that guy on here that if I enable AHO (Automatic Headphone Optimization) the quality boosts up, plus Oreo gave the headphone volume a nice boost as well. So really it's more about the VoLTE at this point.
ok, i understand your thought process then and I do agree. If it they **** up and the company dies and something does go wrong you're right you might be screwed. but i also think they might try harder to please costumers to get them to buy their stuff since they know they are losing money. it doesn't seem good for HTC right now thats for sure.

only time will tel.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,302 of 1,526
ok, i understand your thought process then and I do agree. If it they **** up and the company dies and something does go wrong you're right you might be screwed. but i also think they might try harder to please costumers to get them to buy their stuff since they know they are losing money. it doesn't seem good for HTC right now thats for sure.

only time will tel.

Yeah. I'm glad you see that now too. lol

Well I HOPE HTC does try harder, but do they have the finances for that? The fact that Google now owns their former R&D Dept doesn't exactly instill much confidence in me either, even if they DID make some money off that. lol

Yeah. Only time...............

Oh by the way, I'm going to the Axpona Audio Audio Expo later today. It's at the Marriott Renaissance Hotel only 10 minutes away from where I live (Chicago area). Should be interesting. My first audio expo/convention! lol Sennheiser will be there, as will AudioQuest and others. Sony too. Too bad no Bowers though. lol (See list in link)

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,303 of 1,526
AXPONA was pretty cool. Got to try on the $800 Mr. Speakers AeonFlow closed-back headphones (EPIC sound! EPIC comfort!!), the Senn HD800 (or HD800S??) and also the HD820 closed-backs (with glass-covered ear cups) which are coming out very soon for $2400, A&K Kerr DAP ($999) and T5p 'phones, and the grand finale? On the 15th floor of the hotel in a special room I got to try out the $55,000 Senn HE-1 headphone and amp! lol Listened to "Hotel California" on it for about 2 min. Was very cool! Whole experience was nice overall, and might go back in the future.

Also, Meze was there. Talked to the reps there for a few minutes as well. They got a couple planar magnetic headphones comin' out in a few months that are gonna run like $3K. Sounded really great too. But everything sounded great there!! lol Sony was supposed to be there but didn't see them. AudioQuest was and talked to them for a bit too. No plans for an upgrade on the DFB or DFR at this time. Also tried out the Shure 1540 closed-backs.

My first audio expo/convention...........very cool! :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back