Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Aug 3, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #391 of 471
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #392 of 471
Originally went to audition the Technics TZ700 (which is very nice) but since there was no other customers yesterday arvo, i decided to do an extended audition of various JE models… 2 variants really impressed me, Monitor and the surprisingly, the Aoi Eir collab model, which really surprised me as i am not a weeb or into jpop/jrock, it has possibly the most emotional mids i have heard in an iem… big dynamic mids made it more intimate but not in a shouty harman-esqe or DF way, more in a zeus OG way, but less wonky tonally. Monitor, would be perfect (for me) had there been more bass, Listening was too laidback for me. WM1, i really liked but after Monitor and Aoi, it felt less emotionally involving to me, but its layering and spatial characteristics were prolly the best of the ones i have tried yesterday.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #393 of 471
Originally went to audition the Technics TZ700 (which is very nice) but since there was no other customers yesterday arvo, i decided to do an extended audition of various JE models… 2 variants really impressed me, Monitor and the surprisingly, the Aoi Eir collab model, which really surprised me as i am not a weeb or into jpop/jrock, it has possibly the most emotional mids i have heard in an iem… big dynamic mids made it more intimate but not in a shouty harman-esqe or DF way, more in a zeus OG way, but less wonky tonally. Monitor, would be perfect (for me) had there been more bass, Listening was too laidback for me. WM1, i really liked but after Monitor and Aoi, it felt less emotionally involving to me, but its layering and spatial characteristics were prolly the best of the ones i have tried yesterday.

Although we are more used to the average collaboration models being just the artists slapping their names on an already full-formed product and say something like "best for <insert artist's> own music", the Just ear collaboration models are somewhat different - because they are truly tuned to what the artists themselves personally likes and are not necessarily tuned to their own songs.

For example, the LiSA collaboration model was tuned more to western music styles like Hip Hop and R&B, because that's what LiSA herself listens to privately, so it's got a pretty big low emphasis, whereas LiSA's own music is more standard Jpop and is more mid and electric guitar focused. Aoi Eir said she's sensitive to treble sibilance in the high end and she likes a dynamic and a flashy presentation, which is probably why you hear that in the mids. It's kind of unconventional to what we are used to, but is also a very nice personal touch which lets the fans get a peek into what genre and FR profile their favourite artist likes.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #394 of 471
Although we are more used to the average collaboration models being just the artists slapping their names on an already full-formed product and say something like "best for <insert artist's> own music", the Just ear collaboration models are somewhat different - because they are truly tuned to what the artists themselves personally likes and are not necessarily tuned to their own songs.

For example, the LiSA collaboration model was tuned more to western music styles like Hip Hop and R&B, because that's what LiSA herself listens to privately, so it's got a pretty big low emphasis, whereas LiSA's own music is more standard Jpop and is more mid and electric guitar focused. Aoi Eir said she's sensitive to treble sibilance in the high end and she likes a dynamic and a flashy presentation, which is probably why you hear that in the mids. It's kind of unconventional to what we are used to, but is also a very nice personal touch which lets the fans get a peek into what genre and FR profile their favourite artist likes.

I think LiSA also mentioned her model is designed for less listening fatigue (therefore can listen longer) so trebles are all there but kinda laid-back as well, while the mids are fairly meaty and emotional to go with the big bass.

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #395 of 471
I think LiSA also mentioned her model is designed for less listening fatigue (therefore can listen longer) so trebles are all there but kinda laid-back as well, while the mids are fairly meaty and emotional to go with the big bass.

Yeah you are correct. You can read it here:
https://www.sony.co.jp/Products/justear/limited/XJE-MH_L1SA/

Basically LiSA wanted:
* non-fatiguing sound that's easy to listen to and don't put stress on the listener
* spacious 3D sound that is live like
* along with the spacious sound, the vocal is emphasised to be close and able to hear the breathing of the singer
* as said before LiSA likes western music, so her reference songs are actually mostly western music particularly to the Hip Hop and R&B genre

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #396 of 471
Yesterday I listened to 3 models of the XJE-MH2R and the XJE-MH/Eir in the store, here is my impressions and some measurement result.

The timbre is really good, it's similar to IER-M9 which is better than most Knowles BA driver. The bass is not bad, volume is enough (listening and club) but I was expecting better slam and texture like the IER-Z1R, also it's a bit muddy in bass heavy tracks, I think the bass is above of average but far from TOTL performance. The mids are amazing and detailed, both male and female vocals have liveness, the representation is especially better with the XJE-MH/Eir model, I could say it's much better than Z1R in mids. The treble is somehow disappointed, it's lack of extension and not very detailed, not compable to Z1R or even M9, still it's not piercing, maybe it's for people who like more tamed treble.
The soundstage is mediocre, doesn't have much depth and doesn't have out of head imaging, maybe I was setting the bar too high after I heared Z1R... The technicality is good, instruments are well separated and have their own position, it also doesn't have the shape edge like Z1R which may cause fatigue after long listening.

Luckily I have the chance to measure these models with my IEC-711 compliant coupler. Don't take them too serious, the store is full of noise and I only measure the left channel for once, all of them are demo unit with silicon tips.

XJE-MH2R Monitor
monitor harman.jpg

monitor dis.jpg

XJE-MH2R Listening
listening harman.jpg

listening dis.jpg

XJE-MH2R Club

club harman.jpg

club dis.jpg

XJE-MH/Eir, it's basically club version with reduced treble.
eir harman.jpg

eir dis.jpg

Overlay
overlay.jpg

I would choose the XJE-MH/Eir if I'm going to buy one of them, it has the best mids compare to XJE-MH2R models, and if I could order the XJE-MH1R I would choose the XJE-MH/Eir turning with -2db midbass and +2db subbass.
Well... I'm not going to buy one because I already have Z1R, I was expecting the 13.5mm DD driver will give better bass performance than the 12mm DD inside Z1R, but the magic didn't happen. The timbre of the BA driver is really good but lack of treble extension, it roll off fast from 15k, maybe that's why they didn't provide the specification of frequence response range like most other IEMs, I guess it's 20Hz~16kHz.
Anyway it's just my 2 cents.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #397 of 471
Yesterday I listened to 3 models of the XJE-MH2R and the XJE-MH/Eir in the store, here is my impressions and some measurement result.

The timbre is really good, it's similar to IER-M9 which is better than most Knowles BA driver. The bass is not bad, volume is enough (listening and club) but I was expecting better slam and texture like the IER-Z1R, also it's a bit muddy in bass heavy tracks, I think the bass is above of average but far from TOTL performance. The mids are amazing and detailed, both male and female vocals have liveness, the representation is especially better with the XJE-MH/Eir model, I could say it's much better than Z1R in mids. The treble is somehow disappointed, it's lack of extension and not very detailed, not compable to Z1R or even M9, still it's not piercing, maybe it's for people who like more tamed treble.
The soundstage is mediocre, doesn't have much depth and doesn't have out of head imaging, maybe I was setting the bar too high after I heared Z1R... The technicality is good, instruments are well separated and have their own position, it also doesn't have the shape edge like Z1R which may cause fatigue after long listening.

Luckily I have the chance to measure these models with my IEC-711 compliant coupler. Don't take them too serious, the store is full of noise and I only measure the left channel for once, all of them are demo unit with silicon tips.

XJE-MH2R Monitor
monitor harman.jpg
monitor dis.jpg

XJE-MH2R Listening
listening harman.jpg

listening dis.jpg

XJE-MH2R Club

club harman.jpg

club dis.jpg

eir harman.jpg
eir dis.jpg

Overlay
overlay.jpg

I would choose the XJE-MH/Eir if I'm going to buy one of them, it has the best mids compare to XJE-MH2R models, and if I could order the XJE-MH1R I would choose the XJE-MH/Eir turning with -2db midbass and +2db subbass.
Well... I'm not going to buy one because I already have Z1R, I was expecting the 13.5mm DD driver will give better bass performance than the 12mm DD inside Z1R, but the magic didn't happen. The timbre of the BA driver is really good but lack of treble extension, it roll off fast from 15k, maybe that's why they didn't provide the specification of frequence response range like most other IEMs, I guess it's 20Hz~16kHz.

The Z1R gives very agile and edgy bass like the very best iems could offer, and digs deeper as well, while the JustEar DD tends to offer the meaty reverby bass that's more similar to a big floor woofer with wood enclosure. Both works for me. Matsuo-san's tuning had always been kinda "traditional" (in a good way, like oldskool Sony tunings in its most glorious days) while the Z1R's tuning is shamelessly modern.

Jan 3, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #398 of 471

XJE-MH2R Monitor
monitor harman.jpg
monitor dis.jpg

XJE-MH2R Listening
listening harman.jpg

listening dis.jpg

XJE-MH2R Club

club harman.jpg

club dis.jpg

eir harman.jpg
eir dis.jpg

Overlay
overlay.jpg

One observation from your measurements: the basic tuning appears fairly close to the Harman curve, with the Club being the closest. I think my LiSA variant is pretty much tuned to the Harman kind of tuning too. Most audible difference is probably in the bass - Harman aim for more sub-bass, while Just Ear gives a tad more mid-bass than sub-bass, result is less fatiguing bass with more slam, less rumble.

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #400 of 471
Now that they have changed to a more classical full acrylic body, do they still require special ear molds or can those be done at any audioprosthetist?
Thanks

The special ear molds have nothing to do with the body material. So the answer is yes they are still required.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #402 of 471
Thanks @productred !
So I guess I will have to travel to Japan when they open the borders again for EU people :)

Yea, or other places where these are available for order (e.g. Hong Kong, Taiwan) if you intend to stay around a bit.

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #405 of 471
Can someone help measure the diameters of the two bores?

Is the BA a vented Sonion 2356? The DD vented both on the outside and on the inside?

I'm trying to run some tests using similar configurations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back