Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs
Oct 7, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #226 of 471
@nanaholic, how is the sound isolation on the Just Ears compared to your MH335? I have 335s and the isolation is excellent, wondering how much I would give up with the Just Ear. Being able to run at low volume in noisy environments is a big plus for me.

Also, are you still as happy with your Just Ears after a few more months?

Although there are some air vents for the Just ears the isolation is nearly as good as the Fitears. Once the music starts you aren't going to hear anything from the outside. Plus craftsmanship is the best there is out there and the fit is always snug, very little chance of breaking seal.

I still love mine to bits and I use it almost daily - sometimes I go to my other phones and find some joy in them too but when I put on my Just ear and listen to my favourite tunes which I tunes the phones with and it's always the exact and perfect "my sound", it's like coming back to the comfort and familiarity of one's own home that you spent so much time and effort to make it your own. There's probably something fancier out there, but it's not your own home. That's how I would place the position of my custom tunes MH1.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #230 of 471
Does both MH1 & MH2 cone in universal type?
My ears are sensitive to custom..

No.

So...if I plan visit Japan once - is it possible to order MH1 or the order process requires second visit?

You can weave the final fitting/tuning session, in which case they will send the complete phone to a local address in Japan and you'll have to organise for it be shipped to you overseas.  Though if you are going for the MH1 I strongly recommend taking the opportunity to go for the final fitting and sound tuning as well as it will get everything just right for you - as we all know that when drivers are put into the custom shell and you get the perfect fit the sound signature will change compared with the demo universal units. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #231 of 471

Thanks for the reply!

How do you feel about your MH1? Do you like them? Excuse me for this stupid question as I understand that it is extremely difficult to think outside the box especially when it comes to OBJECTIVELY "reviewing" the iem that costs 3k$

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #232 of 471

How do you feel about your MH1? Do you like them? Excuse me for this stupid question as I understand that it is extremely difficult to think outside the box especially when it comes to OBJECTIVELY "reviewing" the iem that costs 3k$

I don't like them, I LOVE them. 
ksc75smile.gif

I mean how can I not? I spent something like 5 hours of one on one face time with one of the best headphone engineer from Sony tuning the sound to my EXACT liking.  It's impossible for someone to tune a sound they don't like.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #233 of 471

Reason I aim asking is that MAYBE there is a certain "WANT" for a particular sound tuning that is impossible to achieve due to pure physics e.g. creating extremely forgiving and non-fatiguing sound BUT extremely resolving

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #234 of 471
The only thing which you can't really get is in terms of a ultra-wide/deep sound stage, which is common to all IEMs anyway due to the physical size.

extremely forgiving and non-fatiguing but extremely resolving may sound paradoxical but is actually doable - since the MH1 is a hybrid design with 1 dynamic driver and 1 balance armature unit, you can tweak the BA unit to articulate the treble to give the illusion of extreme resolution in the upper range, while the dynamic driver focusing on giving the mid/low range a warm tune, then balance the two out will give you something to that degree depending on which part of the sound you decide to focus on during listening, you'll probably end up with something quite interesting. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #235 of 471

That's great to hear!

Basically, all these years I am struggling to find the iem with these qualities: extremely large and holographic soundstage with lots of air between instruments (within boundaries of what iem can produce, of course), extremely detailed, extended and non-fatiguing reproduction, non-forward yet thick sounding enough for vocals to be creamy with dynamic driver bass signature (all BA's I have tried can't compete with dynamic driver bass, unfortunately)

And the IEM should be source independent i.e. it should sound the way you want regardless of the source (in my case that's iPhone 7 and any possible future idevice)

If you think that all this is possible to achieve with MH1 then I am booking my trip to Japan :)

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #238 of 471

That's great to hear!

Basically, all these years I am struggling to find the iem with these qualities: extremely large and holographic soundstage with lots of air between instruments (within boundaries of what iem can produce, of course), extremely detailed, extended and non-fatiguing reproduction, non-forward yet thick sounding enough for vocals to be creamy with dynamic driver bass signature (all BA's I have tried can't compete with dynamic driver bass, unfortunately)

And the IEM should be source independent i.e. it should sound the way you want regardless of the source (in my case that's iPhone 7 and any possible future idevice)

If you think that all this is possible to achieve with MH1 then I am booking my trip to Japan :)

It would seem to me that it would be a delicate balancing act in the end but still something that should be doable as long as you already understand where the limits are.  It's hard to say for certain because what one person finds "revealing" and "warm" is not universal and may be "forgiving" and "cold" to another, and that's exactly where the tuning process of the MH1 should give you exactly the result you are after. 

Also Matsuo-san is VERY patient and helpful when it comes to assisting the users in getting the sound right.  When I took delivery of my MH1 and I had multiple portable sources (DP-X1, mojo, AK70, and multiple SE and balance cables) and we went through every one of them in every combination possible to fine tune the sound so that my MH1 sounded right on all of them.  This is also one of the main reason why I don't recommend skipping the delivery session as well.

Considering that TOTL CIEMs easily runs into 2000 dollars territory anyway, paying another 5-600 bucks (in today's exchange rate) more for what is essentially hiring a Sony headphone sound engineer whom had produced some classic headphones to be your personal phone voicing consultation for 4-5 hours is IMO quite a bargain, considering that level of personalised experience is currently not offered by any other makers (that I know of) in any price range. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #239 of 471
Interesting. Just curious, how could a single IEM "sounded right" on different combinations of DAPs+cables? There should be some comprise as different combinations should have their own unique signature. Will it sound not right if I purchase new DAPs and cables in the future?
confused.gif

Sorry not mean to challenge anyone, I just found this interesting and am purely curious.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #240 of 471
  Interesting. Just curious, how could a single IEM "sounded right" on different combinations of DAPs+cables? There should be some comprise as different combinations should have their own unique signature. Will it sound not right if I purchase new DAPs and cables in the future?
confused.gif

Sorry not mean to challenge anyone, I just found this interesting and am purely curious.

I'm absolutely not a cable believer because I'm an electrical engineer - to me cables don't sound any different if they are put together right with no funny business in them (such as adding a significant resistance into them which will alter frequency response, but that's VERY rare) - I can and have bash together my own cables and they all sound exactly the same. I only had them because I need to test booth single end and balance out of both my DAPs at that time (DP-X1 and AK70 both had balanced output).

Also modern mid-to high end DAPs sounds more similar than different, you just want to test them all so to make sure nothing weird happens that don't usually show up on the spec sheet, and that the tiny variance you do get is within correctable range like with a touch of EQing or tweaking of the DSP effects and not something completely off. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back