Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
May 3, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #331 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by breezy_amar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know EXACTLY how u feel soozieq! mine also didnt arrive today, and i paid £15 for it to be delievered before 12pm!! luckily i will be able to claim that back... but still! i was so excited today but now i have to wait a whole 3 days!! so dont worry soozieq, u aint the only one. i wonder how this happened to both of us tho. coinsidence?

Wow, what a horrible coincidence! At least Amazon refunded £20 for my 'inconvenience', but I'd rather have had my Sony turn up. Three days waiting seems an eternity. I guess you ordered via Special Delivery Satruday post? What happened when you tracked it, did it show as 'come back later'???

May 3, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #332 of 477
my delievery was through City Link saturday pre 12pm. i ordered over the phone from advancedmp3players. i think what happened was the lady i spoke to didnt choose the right delievry method i asked for. oh well, nothing much we can do now. PS i notice u owned the E500, do u have any of the clear flex sleeves lying around?

May 5, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #333 of 477
Hi guys I was looking up the manual of my new walkman, and I saw almost by accident at page #86 that bluetooth can be used to LISTEN to music COMING from other devices (another walkman, a zune, and such). Is that true or is the italian version of the manual misleading?
Have you tried?

Does this mean I can also SEND music to other mp3 players, and not only wireless headphones?? that would be an awesome find.

thanks.

May 5, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #334 of 477
Quote:

PS i notice u owned the E500, do u have any of the clear flex sleeves lying around?

Do you mean those hard inflexible tips that felt like concrete in my ears??? NO! I don't have any, but I did find a pair of the grey silicon tips lying around if you want those?? And an unused pair of yellow foamies.

May 5, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #335 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean those hard inflexible tips that felt like concrete in my ears??? NO! I don't have any, but I did find a pair of the grey silicon tips lying around if you want those?? And an unused pair of yellow foamies.

thanks for looking. i have the yellow and grey ones. iv just been trying to find which tips feel and sound the best. right now im using the black foam tips. iv modified them by cutting off the curved ends of them so they now look like the yellow ones, and feel more comfortable in my ears. the only thing im not intierly happy with is the high end frequencies like cymbals. i wish it was stronger.

Anyway... 1 DAY TO GO!

May 6, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #336 of 477
well mine arrived today and i have to say i am absolutely blown away by the audio quality. it is 10 times better than the ipod classic. 90% of my music is hard rock/metal, and it sounds amazing. when i have the bass turned up to 3 it sounds like i have a sub in my head, yet everything in between is still crystal clear. i only have to turn the volume up to 12 with the se530, and that is loud! and for those worried about hiss, it is practically hiss-less unless u listen VERY carefully and thats when no music is on.

I also think there might be 2 versions of the casing, cos the one i received today has a metal back, but i could have sword the one in the sony shop had a plastic back.

Anyway, this is like nothing i have ever heard before, and i can defiantly recommend it. 10/10

May 6, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #337 of 477
Quote:

well mine arrived today and i have to say i am absolutely blown away by the audio quality. it is 10 times better than the ipod classic. 90% of my music is hard rock/metal, and it sounds amazing. when i have the bass turned up to 3 it sounds like i have a sub in my head, yet everything in between is still crystal clear. i only have to turn the volume up to 12 with the se530, and that is loud! and for those worried about hiss, it is practically hiss-less unless u listen VERY carefully and thats when no music is on.

I also think there might be 2 versions of the casing, cos the one i received today has a metal back, but i could have sword the one in the sony shop had a plastic back.

Anyway, this is like nothing i have ever heard before, and i can defiantly recommend it. 10/10

So, you would honestly (objectively) consider the SE530 IEM's to be more than a great match w/ the A820 line? The additional bass from both the IEM's and DAP combined don't muddy up, distort, or in any way interfere (mask over?) w/ joining simultaneous frequencies?

May 6, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #338 of 477
The se530 and a820 sound absolutely perfect together. What you are getting is superb quality bass that is hard and punchy. Far from boomy, and distortion is non existent. the thing that amazed me most is how strong the bass can get when its at +3, yet everything else is still shines through with clarity and power.The slight lift in the highest frequencies on the sony is also just what my se530's needed to sound perfect.

May 6, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #339 of 477
Hey Breezy, got mine today too. I love it so much that I'm selling my Zune 80!!

I was holding on to the Zune because it has the most wonderful soundstage, much bigger than the Sony A808. I've never heard a soundstage like that from a player before.

But the A829 (which I expected to sound exactly the same as the 808/818 series), actually has a soundstage closer to the Zune. It's virtually the same Sony sound signature, (perhaps a tiny bit more neutral) but pushed out into a 'larger' area which makes it seem bigger and fuller. I LOVE it!

I'd say the soundstage is 50% closer to the Zune soundstage than either the 808/818. It must sound good to me or I wouldn't be giving up the Zune.

I expected it to be quite a bit bigger than the 808/818 from the pictures, but in 'real life', it's hardly bigger at all. Much as I loved the Zune, it was best listened to 'sitting down' as it's quite heavy. But the Sony is so light that I 'wore' it for most of the day and hardly noticed it at all. And of course, the menu is almost identical to the 808 so there was no learning curve thank goodness
biggrin.gif

And the Triple.fi's sound magnificent with it, much better than with the 808!

I'll take some photos tomorrow in daylight, when I don't need the flash.

Now I just have to figure why the album art is displaying incorrectly for individual songs, and I'll be set!

Off to love my Sony some more now
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #340 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Breezy, got mine today too. I love it so much that I'm selling my Zune 80!!

I was holding on to the Zune because it has the most wonderful soundstage, much bigger than the Sony A808. I've never heard a soundstage like that from a player before.

But the A829 (which I expected to sound exactly the same as the 808/818 series), actually has a soundstage closer to the Zune. It's virtually the same Sony sound signature, (perhaps a tiny bit more neutral) but pushed out into a 'larger' area which makes it seem bigger and fuller. I LOVE it!

I'd say the soundstage is 50% closer to the Zune soundstage than either the 808/818. It must sound good to me or I wouldn't be giving up the Zune.

I expected it to be quite a bit bigger than the 808/818 from the pictures, but in 'real life', it's hardly bigger at all. Much as I loved the Zune, it was best listened to 'sitting down' as it's quite heavy. But the Sony is so light that I 'wore' it for most of the day and hardly noticed it at all. And of course, the menu is almost identical to the 808 so there was no learning curve thank goodness
biggrin.gif

And the Triple.fi's sound magnificent with it, much better than with the 808!

I'll take some photos tomorrow in daylight, when I don't need the flash.

Now I just have to figure why the album art is displaying incorrectly for individual songs, and I'll be set!

Off to love my Sony some more now
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Weird, I didn't notice a difference at all between the 829 and my 818. Did you listen to an 81x series? Perhaps the sound sig is different between the 808 and 81x?

May 7, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #341 of 477
I would be very interested to hear about sound quality differences between each Sony series (if there are any). The only Sony player that I've heard is my friend's A818 that I listened to with my Shure SE530s and LOVED the sound. Just fantastic. I was very close to pulling the trigger right after I tried out his A818, and I'm glad I didn't, because now the new Sony players are out. If I were to get one today, I would probably get the A729 (16GB, no BlueTooth). It looks amazing.

Does anyone know of differences between the A720/A820/A810/A800 series?

May 7, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #342 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird, I didn't notice a difference at all between the 829 and my 818. Did you listen to an 81x series?
Perhaps the sound sig is different between the 808 and 81x?

I haven't tried the 818 since it's simply the SS/Atrac free version of the 808.
Sony even stated that on its website when the 818 first went on sale.

But I can absolutely hear a difference between the 808 and 829 and I really wasn't expecting to. Like I said, the sound signature is very similar but it's just pushed out over a larger area. Perhaps it's slightly more neutral (more like the Zune), but it's definitely enough of an improvement for me to get rid of the Zune! When I go back to the 808, the difference in soundstage is quite noticeable. Having said that, the 808 still sounds fantastic, but the 829 just seems to sound a little better.

May 7, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #343 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of differences between the A720/A820/A810/A800 series?

The 800/810 are identical. The only difference is the software. One uses SonicStage and Atrac, the other is drag and drop. I'm not sure about the differences between the 720/820 other than the 820 comes with Bluetooth, which I have no need for, but as the 729 isn't available in the UK - I bought the 829.

May 7, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #344 of 477
Does anyone know how i can sync this with a mac? i own a mac, and as this sony does not work with itunes im using drag and drop to put my songs onto it, but the problem is all of my .wav files are all under the artist 'unknown'. this made searching for a artist, then a song very dificult. to solve this i organised all my songs into folders for each artist. now i can only use 'folders' to serach properly, but i still want to find an easier way to manage my music on a mac. Any ideas?

May 7, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #345 of 477
Quote:

Does anyone know how i can sync this with a mac? i own a mac, and as this sony does not work with itunes im using drag and drop to put my songs onto it, but the problem is all of my .wav files are all under the artist 'unknown'. this made searching for a artist, then a song very dificult. to solve this i organised all my songs into folders for each artist. now i can only use 'folders' to serach properly, but i still want to find an easier way to manage my music on a mac. Any ideas?

Well, I detailed the steps in an earlier post in this humongous thread
tongue.gif
:

Quote:

1. download a simple mp3 tag editor like mp3tag here: Mp3tag - der universelle Tag Editor (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2) It's a great, simple tool to clean up or edit your ID3 tags.
2. search for album art covers on Amazon or here: Albumart - CD and DVD cover searchengine (unless you have really obscure albums, these 2 sources should suffice for most users)
3. download your album art, and preferably save them in the respective song directories. (makes it easier to sort and organise)
4. use mp3tag to save the album art into your mp3 ID3 tags.

It's a bit more work, but the pay off is that your album art is properly saved along with your mp3 files, and is useable for ALL music managers and mp3 players that support ID3 tagging.

Obviously, you have to download an mp3 tag editor for the Mac. A Google search revealed plenty of choices....just download some and give them a whirl....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back