Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Apr 21, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #286 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balis65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S.: Can anyone recommend a good freeware to convert AVI or MPEG to MP4?

I've been using this software here: Jodix - Freeware converts DVD AVI MPEG WMV RM to MP3 or iPod Video to convert vids to Apple H.264 or MP4 format. They seemed to work fine in my Sony A829. Download and give it a shot....can't argue with the price
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #287 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting find, Novasol. Guess no using the 716s unamped with the Sony DAPs. If I do use the Minibox, I will keep Clear Bass off, and use the bass boost on the amp.

With my Hornet I set the volume to 20 and and clear bass to 2, this setting solves the issue regarding the clear bass (decreasing SPL level during the passage of low freqs). I just cant imagine why others still looking for true line out where the headphone out sounds good as it was amped.

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #288 of 477
Hi there, I've had a keen interest in music for years now but for some reason this is the first time I have really thought about, and subsequently become enamoured with the idea of, taking my music experience into high-end audio (phile), listening in terms of sound and listening. Its fasinating and I cant believe its taking me this long to seriously think about it and take such a dormant and fairly unrealised interest further and into new realms; its like taking something you're familiar with in 2-D and suddenly finding it and exploring it in 3-D. Love it! Safe to say, I think the transition to audiophie is nearly complete. Anyway, lyrical waxing over, and down to my reason for this post.

Basically, my idea was to aquire a DAP/PVP and a top quality set of portable headphones (which after a bit of exploration into the market quickly became an IEM), as I needed an update in such kit (nothing since an old MD player!) and was planning on starting up at the gym again and had this nice idea in my head of getting fit whilst requainting myself with and expanding my music collection and palette. Attracted to this idea as I was and being the thorough and enthusiastic person I am about things that really get me, I really researched/read up on and digested the market for both items all the while forming my idea of what I was after (using the community and facilities at head-fi included). Eventually, I settled upon the sony NWZ-A829K, which I pre-ordered off play.com, and the SA6 IEM, which I ordered and have recieved off hi-fiheadphones.co.uk. I still havn't gotten my dap yet- its listed as temp out of stock but I suspect they may still be awaiting the product from sony as it was listed as this as soon as it was meant to be in stock on the day of release- and I am now really starting to gain a understanding of my iem's (and also my own ear anatomy) hwr I have come across a point commonly reiterated on these forums that I didnt come across before ordering- that sony daps are great for powering low impedance iems but poor at driving high impedance iems, hissing badly as a consequence. My SA6's are, unless my understanding of quanitfying impedance is back to front, high impedance iem's with an impedance of 50 ohms. Therefore, naturally, this possibility is deflating my anticipation a little and has been slightly wounding as I was rather proud of selecting, with the info I had gleaned about the dap market prior to ordering, the best dap available with no obvious deal-breaking flaws but conversely tons of prasie and commendments. I realise everyone's idea of 'perfection' in something is gona differ, but every dap out there, if this is true, now sony included, cant seem to shake having a potential purchase deterring drawback or two, at least to me, that arent just little irritants but actually things quite major that could tarnish your music experience with said product. I know these little things are all in all fabulous demonstrations of manufacturing finesse, that I could never begin to imagine creating, but, all the same, from the spoilt consumer perspective, I cant help but be irritated by this- its like watching preofessional footballers play but knowing they can play better, theres more in them.

Anyway, onto my queries....

Firstly, I have had a quick scan of wikipedias page on it but it looked too 'specifically' complex, can someone explain to me electrical impedance and then how that relates to the dap/headphones situation? If possible, I would appreciate someone with the knowledge explaining the science of it etc cos I am interested to understand it properly. Cheers.

Secondly, can anyone categorically affirm that sony daps are poor with high impedance iem's such as my sa6 and that the combo will hiss?

Soz for long post
tongue.gif
Thanks in advance!!

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #291 of 477
BloodSugar00;4115343 said:
Secondly, can anyone categorically affirm that sony daps are poor with high impedance iem's such as my sa6 and that the combo will hiss?
QUOTE]

My Shure SE-420s are 22ohms... If I listen very carefuly, I hear a low hiss on my 829...but I doesn't disturb me as it is pretty low level. I think all Sony DAPs hiss a bit. I lose it all when the music starts, that's what counts!

But I really don't know how it relates with earphone impedence. I'd be curious to know though!

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #292 of 477
Balis65;4116155 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QUOTE]

My Shure SE-420s are 22ohms... If I listen very carefuly, I hear a low hiss on my 829...but I doesn't disturb me as it is pretty low level. I think all Sony DAPs hiss a bit. I lose it all when the music starts, that's what counts!

But I really don't know how it relates with earphone impedence. I'd be curious to know though!

Thanks for your insight balis65! Your observations echo what I've previously encountered but what concerns me is ur shures have a much lower impedance than my SA6's and from what I've come across the higher the impedance of a headphone the greater the hiss generated/percieved/detected. I imagine I could deal with what you depict just fine as it sounds no more detracting than low-mild microphonics, its that I could experience a more obvious and powerful hiss that bothers me, something you cant get away from and what tarnishes your listening experience. Thanks for sharing your experience and also expressing interest in undrstanding electrical impedance (in relation to dap-headphones) tho.

Any more insights anyone?

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #293 of 477
Well I tested a demo unit and only heard a slight hiss when I switched on the player. Other than that, I barely noticed any hiss. Tested with my SA6.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #294 of 477
Finally, just got mine all the way from the US.

Unfortunately, for some reason my windows explorer does not recognize it while I plug it in. I get a pop up window just with "open wih media player" or "take no action", other than that, the player does not show on my computer. (note: I do no have MP11 installed)

Help!
eek.gif

ps
it works fine on another PC

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #295 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by natim9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, just got mine all the way from the US.

Unfortunately, for some reason my windows explorer does not recognize it while I plug it in. I get a pop up window just with "open wih media player" or "take no action", other than that, the player does not show on my computer. (note: I do no have MP11 installed)

Help!
eek.gif

ps
it works fine on another PC

Try plugging into another USB port. Some USB ports can be flakey. I have tried it on my office PC (Pentium III!!) running Windows 2000 with Media Player 9.0 (!) and it was detected with no issues.

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #296 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by dscans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try plugging into another USB port. Some USB ports can be flakey. I have tried it on my office PC (Pentium III!!) running Windows 2000 with Media Player 9.0 (!) and it was detected with no issues.

Hey dscans thanks for the reply
I just installed MP11, and it seems to work fine.

Do you have any idea how do I add the cover art with drag&drop?

Cheers

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #297 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by natim9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey dscans thanks for the reply
I just installed MP11, and it seems to work fine.

Do you have any idea how do I add the cover art with drag&drop?

Cheers

Nothing but a little elbow grease couldn't solve
biggrin.gif

1. download a simple mp3 tag editor like mp3tag here: Mp3tag - der universelle Tag Editor (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2) It's a great, simple tool to clean up or edit your ID3 tags.
2. search for album art covers on Amazon or here: Albumart - CD and DVD cover searchengine (unless you have really obscure albums, these 2 sources should suffice for most users)
3. download your album art, and preferably save them in the respective song directories. (makes it easier to sort and organise)
4. use mp3tag to save the album art into your mp3 ID3 tags.

It's a bit more work, but the pay off is that your album art is properly saved along with your mp3 files, and is useable for ALL music managers and mp3 players that support ID3 tagging.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #299 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I tested a demo unit and only heard a slight hiss when I switched on the player. Other than that, I barely noticed any hiss. Tested with my SA6.

I must of overlooked this post last time I checked the thread
redface.gif
. That sounds promising!! Aibeit it was a prototype like but still sounds positive. Now, if only sony would get the bleedin thing to play.com so they could ship it out to me and I could listen to it
frown.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #300 of 477
I'm not going to consider buying if there's no silver 8gb or higher because it really looks a lot nicer to me than the black I've seen in store

Users who are viewing this thread

Back