Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Apr 6, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #226 of 477
So high impedance phones do not respond well with Clear Bass, but how many ohms is considered high?

I have the Shure SE530 which has an impedance of 36 ohms. will these be effected?

Also, what is the difference in sound between turning up the Clear Bass and turning up the lowest frequency of the EQ? Is Clear Bass an even LOWER frequency?

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #228 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 829 was at a Sony Style store here in Canada for $329..close to the US price now. They're a lot larger than I expected, a little too large for me actually. I prefer my a818.

I used my Altec IM716 phones...do not get these if you like your Clear Bass
wink.gif

Novasol, how does the sound quality of the 829 compare to the 818? and also, does the new sony media manager support gapless?

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #229 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by breezy_amar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Novasol, how does the sound quality of the 829 compare to the 818? and also, does the new sony media manager support gapless?

I don't own the 829, so I can only say that I didn't notice any difference in sound quality between it and my 818 in the store. It's not critical listening, but I did transfer some of my high quality CD rips at Lame VO to the 829 and with my Altec IM716's the players sounded the same. I don't know about gapless, never use the software.

The Clear Bass is a much lower frequency than the lowest on the EQ. There is a decrease in overall loudness, however, when using the EQ..it's just that the bass is as equally suppressed as the mids and highs.

You'll be fine with the Se530's. The Im716's are twice the impedance(if not more). You'll have enough volume to play with the Clear Bass.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #230 of 477
Went to BB and checked out the 728. I found it quite nice. It's pretty thin and fits in my hand nicely.

Personally, I prefer the new form factor vs the previous gen. It's easier to operate in my left hand. I feel if its too small which I think the A818 is, its harder to control. Same rule of thumb for digital cameras. The smaller it is the harder it is to get a good shot w/o image stabilization. But as I said before, this is my personally preference.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #231 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own the 829, so I can only say that I didn't notice any difference in sound quality between it and my 818 in the store. It's not critical listening, but I did transfer some of my high quality CD rips at Lame VO to the 829 .

How did you manage to transfer your music onto the 829 in the store? Don't you need a PC to do that?

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #232 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you manage to transfer your music onto the 829 in the store? Don't you need a PC to do that?

Yes, they had laptops in store and I brought my WM-PORT cable..which luckily fit the 829
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #235 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceleris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think someone may have touched on this briefly before, but does the build quality of the A82x/A72x feel worse/cheaper than that of the A81x?

This is NOT from personal experience (so don't take it as facts), but from what I've heard the way it's designed gives it a somewhat more plasticky (and with that comes cheap) feel. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though, but it may not feel quite as rock solid and tough as the A81x.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #236 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is NOT from personal experience (so don't take it as facts), but from what I've heard the way it's designed gives it a somewhat more plasticky (and with that comes cheap) feel. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though, but it may not feel quite as rock solid and tough as the A81x.

Hmm.. it kind of reminds me of the material they used on their SZ-premiu series laptop.. had the same brushed-metal like look.. but actually felt more plastic-y then solid-metal..

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #238 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am guessing that you cannot transfer music over the bluetooth connection, right?

Nope. It's just for wireless listening, which to me makes it a bit useless.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #239 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. It's just for wireless listening, which to me makes it a bit useless.

And I imagine not having a true line out, it really does not lend itself to amping. Hmm, tough choice there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back