Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Apr 2, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #196 of 477
Yeah, I like falling asleep to music too. As far as I know, the only players with a great interface and Sleep Timer are the iPods so I was hesitant of ever buying a different brand player for the longest time. If only Apple put as much effort into their sound as their interface (1st gen Nano mind you). Guess I can use it as a night time player.

The Zune was the only other player which had a great interface, but no sleep timer. At least with the Sony, there's the sound quality to warrant a buy. It's only been a day, but this thing already completely destroys the iPod in the sound department. Everything else I like more on the iPod.

There's quite a few things I don't like with the Sony:
- case-sensitive names
- no seeking except for a very slow RW/FF, AFAIK
- slow scrolling
- ugly generic interface that should have been updated
- no sleep timer
- no gapless playback
- volume knob too easy to accidentally push
- hold button too easy to accidentally push
- can't set volume limit to anything lower than 12 (I'd set it at 8 if I could)
- unstable support for Macs
- a lot of other minor details

Positives:
+ best sounding MP3 player I've heard so far (most important quality I guess)
+ big, clear screen
+ drag and drop is nice, but very slow
+ new model looks much cleaner than the a818 (those buttons were blah)

But overall, I don't regret this one bit. It's a killer player
cool.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #197 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I like falling asleep to music too. As far as I know, the only players with a great interface and Sleep Timer are the iPods so I was hesitant of ever buying a different brand player for the longest time. If only Apple put as much effort into their sound as their interface (1st gen Nano mind you). Guess I can use it as a night time player.

The Zune was the only other player which had a great interface, but no sleep timer. At least with the Sony, there's the sound quality to warrant a buy. It's only been a day, but this thing already completely destroys the iPod in the sound department. Everything else I like more on the iPod.

- case-sensitive names
- slow scrolling
- no sleep timer
- no gapless playback

Positives:
+ big, clear screen

cool.gif

How's the stock headphone that comes with the A829?

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #198 of 477
Quote:

- case-sensitive names
- slow scrolling
- no sleep timer
- no gapless playback

Positives:
+ big, clear screen

cool.gif

Someone mentioned earlier or somewhere else that if you pause first, then FF/RW will be faster.

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #199 of 477
I was wondering if any of the new A728/A828 owners are experiencing any of the issues in this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/so...faulty-312211/

I already posted a question on it but didn't know if any A728/A828 owners would read it since the title did not address these models

I would really like to get a drag and drop Sony flash dap w/o the issues. Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #200 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone mentioned earlier or somewhere else that if you pause first, then FF/RW will be faster.

Ah you're right! Thanks for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loc13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the stock headphone that comes with the A829?

For the stock earphones question, I only tested it for a couple seconds, but from what I heard, it's not bad. Better than most ear buds that come with other players. I don't know about your other question. I listen to the volume at about 3-5. Anything in the double digits is too loud for me, so 20 is out of the question.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #201 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by omph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if any of the new A728/A828 owners are experiencing any of the issues in this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/so...faulty-312211/

I already posted a question on it but didn't know if any A728/A828 owners would read it since the title did not address these models

I would really like to get a drag and drop Sony flash dap w/o the issues. Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm pretty sure it's not a firmware issue but rather the way the Clear Bass works. The problem, as I see it, is that Clear Bass accentuates the lower bass over the mid/high frequencies. At volume 20 the player is able to put out more Bass than other freqs so no problem..the volume is equal across all frequencies. As the volume is increased past 21, the player can no longer put out the same level of bass and thus decreases the other freqs. The more Clear Bass we ask for, the greater the suppression of mid/highs. So at the highest volume the player is putting out the rated 5mw of Clear Bass, but not the rest of the frequency spectrum. The higher the Clear Bass setting, the more the volume difference.

I'm going to test a 829 at my local Sony store to see if the problem is still there and will post my findings. In the meantime it would be great if someone with a newer gen player could read the the link omph posted and give their impression.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #202 of 477
Quote:

Ah you're right! Thanks for that.

For the stock earphones question, I only tested it for a couple seconds, but from what I heard, it's not bad. Better than most ear buds that come with other players. I don't know about your other question. I listen to the volume at about 3-5. Anything in the double digits is too loud for me, so 20 is out of the question.

Thanks! I don't really want to spend the money to get an extra set of earphones, so the A729 may suit me better..

Actually can you please check the stock headphone and see if you can spot the model number? If you look at the point where the left and right wires split, there's a black knot, and the headphone model should be printed there. On the A728 it says MDR-EX082, I'm just wondering if there's anything on the A820 stock headphone. Thanks!

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #203 of 477
Thanks for the response Novasol
smily_headphones1.gif

I gathered from your post and the one in the thread you started that it is not a firmware issue.

I'm glad to know though that most people don't use the volume past 20 so hopefully it won't become too much of an issue.

Ive decided anyways to purchase the 728 from BB tomorrow. It's on sale now for$10 off. I don't know if the 10% off coupon will stack though..
Does anyone know ???

Reasons for choosing the newer model 728 over the 818 on sale.
1) larger screen
2) feels better in my left hand which i use to control daps

I'm happy that the 729 come w/ the ex82 b/c I don't have the money atm to buy atrio m5 or ES7.

Go sony!
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #204 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by omph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response Novasol
smily_headphones1.gif

I gathered from your post and the one in the thread you started that it is not a firmware issue.

I'm glad to know though that most people don't use the volume past 20 so hopefully it won't become too much of an issue.

Ive decided anyways to purchase the 728 from BB tomorrow. It's on sale now for$10 off. I don't know if the 10% off coupon will stack though..
Does anyone know ???

Reasons for choosing the newer model 728 over the 818 on sale.
1) larger screen
2) feels better in my left hand which i use to control daps

I'm happy that the 729 come w/ the ex82 b/c I don't have the money atm to buy atrio m5 or ES7.

Go sony!
biggrin.gif

Yes the 10% off coupon definitely works. Just ask them to scan the coupon, the discount should show up. The A728 I got from Best Buy doesn't include an extension cable though, contrary from what the SonyStyle website states. But either way, it's a great player and you won't regret it.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #206 of 477
Hmmmm....

That review was a bit less than convincing. However, it seems to cover the majority in what I'm looking for - supreme SQ, adequate size/weight/appearance, decent - good hands on scrolling system, decent amount storage, and .wav support.

I'm not sure I like the whole playlist situation. I really hope you can add them in some how from elsewhere. Plus, I really need to know how convenient the software is in syncing the music.

The whole Bluetooth deal is nice, in as well as the IEM's that come w/ it. Though, I plan to purchase the SE530's to go along, so I doubt I will find either of those useful.

As of right now, is that the only full review?

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #207 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm....

That review was a bit less than convincing. However, it seems to cover the majority in what I'm looking for - supreme SQ, adequate size/weight/appearance, decent - good hands on scrolling system, decent amount storage, and .wav support.

I'm not sure I like the whole playlist situation. I really hope you can add them in some how from elsewhere. Plus, I really need to know how convenient the software is in syncing the music.

The whole Bluetooth deal is nice, in as well as the IEM's that come w/ it. Though, I plan to purchase the SE530's to go along, so I doubt I will find either of those useful.

As of right now, is that the only full review?

You can make playlists with WMP11. I think the review is saying how you can't make on-the-go playlists. WMP11 is pretty convenient with syncing music.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #208 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can make playlists with WMP11. I think the review is saying how you can't make on-the-go playlists. WMP11 is pretty convenient with syncing music.

Yeah, I'm positive that's what the review said - not allowing you to create on-the-go, which I'm ok with. I just wasn't 100% w/ the idea in general, for I have yet to own a Sony DAP.

Also, do you know if this player reads the RIFF in .wavs for displaying tagged information, as well as album art?

Anyhow, I'm probably sold then on the player, even if I do have to fork out more cash then its competitors. Sony products are really good w/ the little things, I find. Their attention to detail is usually pointed in all the right directions IMO.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #209 of 477
Thanks for the reply Loc13. Glad to hear the coupon works on top of the already discounted price.

I actually held out on buying the 728 today and placed a preoder (which I almost never do) on the 829 from Vanns which has an amazingly low price of only $259.98 /w free shipping!!!! (Was going to post a link, but didn't know if it would violate forum policy)

I also figured I should preorder to get in line before I posted the deal on the forums
tongue.gif
Wanted to give a lil something back to such a helpful community.

Everywhere else on the web is selling the 829 for around $320

Hope they get them in soon
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back