Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Mar 31, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #181 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The s61x is wider and thicker than the a81x....also the 3g nano is much larger than the previous generations.
wink.gif

Nope. The s618x in only 3mm thicker; It's much narrower and much shorter than the a81x. I have the previous gen Nanos as well. The 3rd gen is by far the easiest to hold and carry around. However, my s618 is the best looking one of the lot. I need to sell off a few of my DAPs .. lol.

I don't see the point of having a larger DAP with screen size approaching that of a WM6 phone like the HTC Touch. We might as well carry around a Touch then
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #182 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for letting me know about that. Does it do any sort of automatic shutoff though?

If it's the same as the A81x (which it probably is), it will go into a kind of standby mode after being left untouched for a minute or so (if no audio or video is playing, of course). The same thing happens if you hold the "Options" button for a few secs. When in standby, it turns on instantly as soon as you touch a button. No startup time at all, which is really nice. A press on the "Play" button in standby and your music starts playing without any delay. This standby mode will of course constantly draw a little battery juice (since it's not completely turned off), but it's probably very little. The only way (as far as I can tell) to turn the player off completely is to leave it untouched for about 24 hours. Then it will leave standby mode and really turn itself off. When in this "real" off mode, it will take a few secs to startup.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #185 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am i right to assume that the sony dap's dont have a lod?

third-party lod? not yet anyway
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #187 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's the same as the A81x (which it probably is), it will go into a kind of standby mode after being left untouched for a minute or so (if no audio or video is playing, of course). The same thing happens if you hold the "Options" button for a few secs. When in standby, it turns on instantly as soon as you touch a button. No startup time at all, which is really nice. A press on the "Play" button in standby and your music starts playing without any delay. This standby mode will of course constantly draw a little battery juice (since it's not completely turned off), but it's probably very little. The only way (as far as I can tell) to turn the player off completely is to leave it untouched for about 24 hours. Then it will leave standby mode and really turn itself off. When in this "real" off mode, it will take a few secs to startup.

Thanks for the reply RoadHazard. I ask because at the moment I have a Zune 30 that does something similar to what you're describing and feel like it eats the battery life. If you were do guess, how many hours of play time do you think you get on your sony between charges?

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #188 of 477
So amps will be connected from the headphone jack?

Well, from what I see in this thread, sound from the headphone jack isn't that bad.

I am really intrigued in buying a Sony as my next dap. I'm hoping that the 16gb models get a price reduction soon so I can afford it!

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #189 of 477
Quote:

Thanks for the reply RoadHazard. I ask because at the moment I have a Zune 30 that does something similar to what you're describing and feel like it eats the battery life. If you were do guess, how many hours of play time do you think you get on your sony between charges?

I have the 808 which is identical to the 818 (except for ths software it uses) and I can turn mine off by holding down the power button until I see the message: "See you later" on the screen. Battery life is excellent, I can get around 25 hours in between charges with bitrates of 320 and more.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #190 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 808 which is identical to the 818 (except for ths software it uses) and I can turn mine off by holding down the power button until I see the message: "See you later" on the screen.

Yeah, but that still only puts it in standby mode (which you'll notice by the fact that it turns on instantly when you press a button), that is if it works the same way as the A818 (I also get the "See you later" message when doing that). The only way to completely turn it off seems to be to leave it untouched for 24 hours. Well, I'm positive it doesn't consume much energy while in standby, so it shouldn't affect the battery very much.

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #191 of 477
I just bought the a820 and it's pretty nice. I'm disappointed that there's no sleep timer though. And I have to admit, it's slower transferring from drag and drop then with iTunes for my Nano...

One question. Since it's basically a flash drive, I was expecting it to show that icon in my taskbar where I could "safely remove device", but it doesn't show up. Are you supposed to just unplug it? Also, when I plug it to my mac, it does have an eject button but once I do eject, the player will automatically re-sync to the computer.

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #192 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the a820 and it's pretty nice. I'm disappointed that there's no sleep timer though. And I have to admit, it's slower transferring from drag and drop then with iTunes for my Nano...

One question. Since it's basically a flash drive, I was expecting it to show that icon in my taskbar where I could "safely remove device", but it doesn't show up. Are you supposed to just unplug it? Also, when I plug it to my mac, it does have an eject button but once I do eject, the player will automatically re-sync to the computer.

I usually just pull my flash drive whenever, and it has never been damaged. It really shouldn't make a difference, unless it is in use when you pull it out.

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #193 of 477
Ok, I'll answer my own bluetooth questions.
rolleyes.gif

Background: just got the NWZ-A829 to use with my previously purchased DR-BT50 headphones (closed-back/over-ear BT phones). I also have the Samsung P2 and the Insignia Pilot players (both are bluetooth 2.0).

All of the audio effects and equalizers DO work over Bluetooth! (U have the ability to allow/disallow audio options to each paired BT device). The master volume control (side-mounted rocker) is reserved for the wired headphone jack only. U will have to use the BT headset's volume control. The A829 paired easily with the BT50 headphones and for some reason the bass bloat/bulge that was present in these phones when used with the other BT players was mostly-to-nearly corrected. I can't tell but there may be a preset "audio profile" in the A829 for these Sony phones when paired in the player...will know more when I try out a pair of DR-BT21's later this week.

As to audio quality over BT there are settings for the audio quality level verses RF connection in the setup menu. With the highest audio quality setting the fidelity is suprisingly good. Not quite the "air" or texture/depth compared to wired but definately much more than passible for those who need the wireless. I used a venerable pair of ol' Audio-Technica ATH-910 closed-back over-ear phone for a wired/wireless comparison to the BT50. Compared to the Samsung P2 the BT audio quality is definately a step or two up. To the poor Pilot, many steps up
eek.gif

To expand on the BT audio: I also had previously tried the Sony DR-BT22 headsets with both the P2 and Pilot and had to return them due to a irritating distorted/cracking sort of sound, hiss and odd background noises that would appear out of nowhere (not a RF connection problem as these sounds could be repeated perfectly, over & over). Research now leads me to believe this noise was some sort of modulation/re-coding error in the players (data file to PCM to SBC), really bad on the Pilot, not so bad on the P2 and AFAIK non-existent on the A829. I don't know if Sony has better BT implementation/integration, a better BT chipset (Broadcom?, CSR?) or what but it is the best sounding BT pairing I've heard so far. Although still saddled by the lossy SBC codec [and therefore shouldn't make much a difference] the BT sound is better. BTW, the BT chipset in the A829 is 2.0+EDR, the first that I know of in a player [even though the "EDR" part doesn't seem to be used here?].

YMMV but to me the wired connection with Sony also sounded a bit better than the P2; clearer/louder/stronger phone amps with a very slight nod to the Sony on depth/layering and clarity. It was no contest with the Pilot...it was left way back in the dust.

Also noted was what I first thought was an oddity in operation: When the BT is "connected" the wired jack is inoperative (and visa-versa). I thought this strange because the other makes of player's BT and wired outputs could operate in tandem (i.e. 2up listening). But thinking about it, the Sony probably cuts power to the headphone amps during BT operation to conserve battery power.

Otherwise, it seems like a well-built player. Nothing too fancy, good audio with decent build quality at less weight than the P2.

Woof

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #194 of 477
Quote:

Are you turning it off correctly at first I thought my zune30 had terrible battery life but it turns out I was putting it in sleep mode. In order to shut down the zune you have to hold the back button and down button on the pad.

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #195 of 477
I actually do know how properly turn it off, but the thing is that I usually go to sleep w/ music, so that's why a sleep timer or decent battery life is that much more important to me. I also am not one to charge my player everyday so that's why it matters to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back