Sony Announced NWZ-A820 series.....finally 16GB Sony DAP's
Mar 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #166 of 477
My guess is that the A82x/A72x probably sounds the same as A81x/A7x. I've tried the A816 and A728 at best buy with my Shure530 earphones. Provided that i only heard the testing music (ava adele and some other songs), they sounded similar, which is to say great. I tried the A816 two weeks before A728, just to note.

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #167 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that the A82x/A72x probably sounds the same as A81x/A7x. I've tried the A816 and A728 at best buy with my Shure530 earphones. Provided that i only heard the testing music (ava adele and some other songs), they sounded similar, which is to say great. I tried the A816 two weeks before A728, just to note.

Thanks, just what I was looking for. By Headfi'ers I was referring to Headfi members who had actually heard both. They don't even have the new Sony's out in Canada yet(well as far as I can find out anyway).

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #168 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loc13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which version are you referring to? J&R is a very reputable retailer, they have the A829 for $280, and the A728 for $190. They only charge sales tax for shipment to NY.

Great deal. I jumped on this the other day. The price is back up to 319 now.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #170 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't seem they know what they're talking about, both the a810 and s615 are pretty much identical sq wise.

I agree, as I've tried both.

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #171 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah. Seeing as how the A82x series supposedly has the same sound chip as the A81x series (and the S61x I guess), and the exact same EQ and "sound enhancing" (though whether those actually enhance anything is entirely subjective) technologies, why would it sound any different? It also plays the exact same file formats (both audio and video) as the A81x.
So, to me the A82x really seems to be just the same thing as the A81x, but with a larger screen, different physical design (which to me looks less ergonomic to use, and is also larger and seems a bit more plasticky), and bluetooth in some models (which seems a bit useless since you can't use it to transfer music to the player, only to playback music wirelessly with worse SQ than when using cables headphones). And of course, it comes in a 16GB variety.

I don't mean to sound too negative about the A82x - I'm sure it's great - I just think I'll be perfectly fine with my A818 (which was much cheaper than the 8GB A82x will be). Bluetooth doesn't interest me until it can be used to transfer music wirelessly from my computer to the DAP, and while the larger screen looks nice video watching isn't a priority for me with DAPs/PMPs. The screen in the A818 is perfectly fine for watching some TV episodes anway should I want to, and the A82x's screen isn't any higher res, only slighly larger.
And also, like I said I think the A81x looks better. The A82x looks too much like a Walkman phone to me, and the control interface doesn't look as ergonomic and easy to use. The "Back" and "Options" buttons look really small.

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #172 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. Seeing as how the A82x series supposedly has the same sound chip as the A81x series (and the S61x I guess), and the exact same EQ and "sound enhancing" (though whether those actually enhance anything is entirely subjective) technologies, why would it sound any different? It also plays the exact same file formats (both audio and video) as the A81x.
So, to me the A82x really seems to be just the same thing as the A81x, but with a larger screen, different physical design (which to me looks less ergonomic to use, and is also larger and seems a bit more plasticky), and bluetooth in some models (which seems a bit useless since you can't use it to transfer music to the player, only to playback music wirelessly with worse SQ than when using cables headphones). And of course, it comes in a 16GB variety.

I don't mean to sound too negative about the A82x - I'm sure it's great - I just think I'll be perfectly fine with my A818 (which was much cheaper than the 8GB A82x will be). Bluetooth doesn't interest me until it can be used to transfer music wirelessly from my computer to the DAP, and while the larger screen looks nice video watching isn't a priority for me with DAPs/PMPs. The screen in the A818 is perfectly fine for watching some TV episodes anway should I want to, and the A82x's screen isn't any higher res, only slighly larger.
And also, like I said I think the A81x looks better. The A82x looks too much like a Walkman phone to me, and the control interface doesn't look as ergonomic and easy to use. The "Back" and "Options" buttons look really small.

I would agree, after playing with both the A81x and A82x, i find it a bit easier to use with the A81x player. The placement of the directional buttons just aren't as good on the A82x/A72x. I think I'm going to purchase the A818 for $129.99$ and wait for the next iteration of Walkmans.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #175 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, a lot of cases made for the Ipod nano ist and 2nd gen fit the 81x series..the 82x is too big. I'm using a DLO action jacket, it's a little tight, but awesome for the gym.

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #177 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by kessomatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great deal. I jumped on this the other day. The price is back up to 319 now.

Glad you took advantage of it!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me if it has a sleep timer function??? (or if the other models had it?) Thanks.

The A728 does not have a sleep timer function. That should be the same for the A820s..

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #179 of 477
11633-Sony-NWZ-A829B-vs-Zune-8gb-vs-Sony-NWZ-S618-vs-Apple-iPod-nano-3G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back