Sony 1000x mark ii - huzzah!
Jun 30, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #151 of 198
I must admit I have a pet hate for the sound quality of the Sony's. I returned my first pair (thinking they must be faulty), but alas, no. ANC is great with them but compared to other headphones I own ( plantronics beat back pro 2, B&O P9i, QC35's, Skull Crushers) the Sony's to me lack dynamic range, lack deep bass extension, lack upper treble and have a push around the 3 to 6khz mark. And this was using a samsung S9 on LDAC. My favourite is the B&O H9i, these absolutley blow the lack-lustre sound of the Sony's out the door. Then again they are twice as expensive.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #154 of 198
Just got these three days ago and with some EQ to knock down that bass, I am a very happy man. I found aptX HD to be more stable with my phone so I use it over LDAC. I'm using v4a and knocked down all frequencies under 1k a bit and bumped 1k a little. A very clear and defined sound while still having some authority down low when it's needed.
Screenshot_20180722-003759.png

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #155 of 198
Does anyone have any idea how to have both manual EQ settings and LDAC (or at least something other than SBC) working together? Every time I change the EQ settings, I get SBC. I have a relatively new Sony (Android 8.0) smart phone but even if I go to the developer's settings and force LDAC, the XM2s stay with SBC. I know I'm not the only one with this problem but I've also seen comments of people using custom EQ settings with LDAC with their phone (some guy had a Pixel, I believe).

By the way, some of the specs of the next model, XM3, have surfaced and we seem to get USB-C, new mic (MEMS), less weight (closer to Bose now) and a lot improved fast charging (not that the current fast charging isn't already sufficient) etc. No info on the design changes, though. Still, having bought the XM2s a month ago for a good deal (290 dollars for someone who lives in the EU), I'm not regretting anything: the XM3s will not be available for a few months and with a higher price tag.

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #156 of 198
Does anyone have any idea how to have both manual EQ settings and LDAC (or at least something other than SBC) working together? Every time I change the EQ settings, I get SBC. I have a relatively new Sony (Android 8.0) smart phone but even if I go to the developer's settings and force LDAC, the XM2s stay with SBC. I know I'm not the only one with this problem but I've also seen comments of people using custom EQ settings with LDAC with their phone (some guy had a Pixel, I believe).

By the way, some of the specs of the next model, XM3, have surfaced and we seem to get USB-C, new mic (MEMS), less weight (closer to Bose now) and a lot improved fast charging (not that the current fast charging isn't already sufficient) etc. No info on the design changes, though. Still, having bought the XM2s a month ago for a good deal (290 dollars for someone who lives in the EU), I'm not regretting anything: the XM3s will not be available for a few months and with a higher price tag.

As far as I know, you have to be using AAC by changing to it in Developer settings (this allows you to use the EQ in the Sony app without switching to stable connection), or have a newer Galaxy with the Sound Assistant app, or be rooted and use one of the many equalizer apps.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #157 of 198
So I got my pair this past week. First of all unless you’re listening to some overcompressed modern electrónica/rap they just won’t go loud enough. Anything recorded judiciously in the 70s for example will not be loud enough.

As for comfort they aren’t quite there. I think they sound pretty good but an ear pad replacement is a must for me. The Bose QC 35 are far more comfortable in general. But overall I think even with all this innovation the Bose QC will have to remain my travel phones.

I will test our the Nuraphone G2 software next.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #158 of 198
Hello all I just purchase these, I cant get ldac to work at the same time using the sony app eq. It reverts back sbc for some odd reason. Ldac sounds good but i want more bass. Do these need time for burn in? These are replacing my plantronics back beat pro and my backbeat actually sound more powerful, and i hear more separation, Its weird these should be blowing away my plantronics a much older headset.

I also tried apts, same thing happens she want revert to strong connection vs high quality to use eq.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #159 of 198
I agree

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #160 of 198
I must admit I have a pet hate for the sound quality of the Sony's. I returned my first pair (thinking they must be faulty), but alas, no. ANC is great with them but compared to other headphones I own ( plantronics beat back pro 2, B&O P9i, QC35's, Skull Crushers) the Sony's to me lack dynamic range, lack deep bass extension, lack upper treble and have a push around the 3 to 6khz mark. And this was using a samsung S9 on LDAC. My favourite is the B&O H9i, these absolutley blow the lack-lustre sound of the Sony's out the door. Then again they are twice as expensive.

I agree,I posted the above before I saw your post.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #161 of 198
Hello all I just purchase these, I cant get ldac to work at the same time using the sony app eq. It reverts back sbc for some odd reason. Ldac sounds good but i want more bass. Do these need time for burn in? These are replacing my plantronics back beat pro and my backbeat actually sound more powerful, and i hear more separation, Its weird these should be blowing away my plantronics a much older headset.

I also tried apts, same thing happens she want revert to strong connection vs high quality to use eq.

LDAC and EQ in the Sony app don't work at the same time. You forfeit LDAC if you want to use the EQ. AAC works but you have to change to that in the developer settings every time you connect which is annoying.

Funny you're trying to get more bass, I was trying to get less lol. They're bass heavy out of the box. Not bass heavy compared to most portable closed headphones but the sound signature clearly favors bass over all else.

Jul 29, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #162 of 198
Funny you're trying to get more bass, I was trying to get less lol. They're bass heavy out of the box.

You must be sensitive to bass, I found them lacking out of the box, and lacking after many hours. From a sound prospective, these headphones were the biggest dissapointment for me for the year so far.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #163 of 198
You must be sensitive to bass, I found them lacking out of the box, and lacking after many hours. From a sound prospective, these headphones were the biggest dissapointment for me for the year so far.

Im with you, all the rave reviews I expected more. They are nice, sound good, but I don't know it seems my plantronics backbeat 1 are more fun sounding.

Things I don't like on the sony, bright little lights so I cant use to sleep, cant connect to multiple devices, they seem fragile.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #164 of 198
I am still testing these out, not all that really, I picked up some bowers and Wilkins to see, so far pretty good, I also have some vmodas wireless 2 codex edition coming in.

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #165 of 198
Here is the EQ I've been using.
[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, what app is this? Interesting that it has an Atmos mode. Would assume it might be helpful when watching movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back